PDA

View Full Version : Nav Lights...

LostNearBribie
16-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Had to leave the fish biting this arvo, due to the sun going down and me not having any lights.
Does anyone use the suction cup nav lights at all?
Don't really want to wire up my yak and this seems like the easiest out.

cormorant
16-06-2009, 10:42 PM
put a white all round on your hat and keep fishing. I theory I think you only need to carry a torch on a yak and display it at times f danger but laws may have changed??

TimiBoy
17-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Please, for the sake of us big noisy bastards, use more than a torch? Scares the poop out of me when a torch reaches out from 20 meters away - get the lights.

Thanks,

Tim

StevenM
17-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Red

you can get those red / green clip wrap lights that go round your paddle.

Other than that a all round white is the go.

I use one of the suction type and removed the end of the suction cap.

This goes into one of the rod holders behind me in a bit of pvc that is higher than my head.

Hope that makes sence.

Angla
17-06-2009, 07:33 AM
If you put yourself in an area where boats go fast then I would suggest a fair amount of light for safety sake. Anything will be better than nothing at all in my opinion but if you think your light will be lost amongst all the other lights then brighter would be an advantage.

Cheers
Chris

LostNearBribie
17-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys.
I drive a boat also and I get annoyed at the lack of light a lot of boats have.
I like the idea of the wrap arounds for the paddle, thanks Steve.
I will organise the all round white in an LED I reckon.
Thanks for your replies.

Just_chips
17-06-2009, 10:31 AM
All round white LED is the go, They are easily visible. I also use an LED headlight so that where ever I look the light goes also, this way you can look towards oncoming boats for a little bit extra visibility.

Kev

StevenM
17-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Found the LED nav lights I was talking about Red

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=53845&intAbsolutePage=32

you can also try some replective tape on the blades of your paddle btw. Every little bit helps

LostNearBribie
17-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Kev, I already have the headlights for night fishing in the boat.
Steve, thanks for the link, reflective tape is just another thing I hadn't thought of...

Red.

tunaticer
17-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I also have a cycling LED flashing red light that flashes every half second or so, because the constant all white light blends in with the shore lights a little too well in the eerie predawn periods when boaties are not fully awake and still racing around madly. Since having that clipped to the back of my hat facing backwards I have not had a boat come near me predawn. With a all round white tho they nearly run you over before swerving away thinking that its just reflection from shore lights.

Bayside Duane
18-06-2009, 11:25 AM
A problem I see with red green nav lights is the boat jockys think you are another boat and roar past at full tilt sending you and your kit for a swim. I have a LED anchor light from bias that is very bright and headlight jobbie that can switch between led and torch.

LostNearBribie
18-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a couple of led lights on my bike, I will see how they go also.
Got a split red/green in the one light for the nose of the yak.
Also got a plastic bin that I can mount the all round white on.
Will post pics soon!

Hookem_Herby
19-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Found the LED nav lights I was talking about Red

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=53845&intAbsolutePage=32

you can also try some replective tape on the blades of your paddle btw. Every little bit helps

They look like they'll do the job but the "not waterproof" is a bit of a concern tbh. :o:-/:-X

LostNearBribie,
Any chance of seeing your final product?? ::)
Post them pics mate. ;)

Cheers,
Herby

LostNearBribie
24-08-2009, 10:57 PM
OK, here is where I ended up.
Got most of the bits from Be Cee Eff including the box.
Lights run on batteries and I haven't had to change them yet.
Front light is just zip tied on back light is mounted to the timber.
There is a piece of timber on the inside also for strength.
I always have cats eye lights on my hat also.
Also is a pic of the sounder box I put together.
The transducer stays in a mount on the yak.
There is a transducer scupper in the middle of the yak.
I bought the Humminbird rubber boot that is made for it.
Was lucky that the Lowrance still fit in it.

Hope you like it...

Angla
27-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Now that is what I would call prepared. If I was to see you on the water and with those lights, I would, I would see that you were low to the waters surface and steer a decent arc around you. Thanks for the photos as it may give other Yakkas the inspiration they need to 'light up'

Cheers
Chris

cormorant
27-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Not that it matters for a yak but most of the old bulb and d cell battery ones never met teh old regulations. Not an issue on teh yak as all that is required is teh torch or all round white.

I know tinnys that were warned for having these as they are not bright enough to meet regs ( did teh packet say they meet the regs now as maybe they have changed) and realistically they shouldn't be sold as "navigation lights". Then you have the "officers that say "if it is displayed it must comply" - shit it is hard to try and do the right thing.

My answer it is that it can never be bright enough or high enough as it is hard to see a yak on the water ( I yak as well ) and the further I can keep vessels away from me the better. It lights up around teh yak as well I have one of the newer led masthead ones off a yacht - again was expensive connected to the battery the sounder runs off and a good torch.