PDA

View Full Version : feel free kayaks

sid_fishes
23-05-2009, 05:57 PM
just interested in whether any members have a moken 13, and would like to hear pro,s and con,s
thanks for all replies
cheers ian

Kiwipea
07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Only just noticed this post.
Yes I have a Moken, some 9 months now, used it mainly for eustary fishing but have ventured out on the blue ocean 3 times, albeit in fairly calm conditions.
Really happy with my yak all things considered. I am 69 yrs young and only 60 & a bit kgs, but can lift it on off roof racks ok, paddle several kms no problems. Everything easy to access, paddles well, tracks ok and as I have a "windpaddle" sail so find the rudder a good option. I am not really a kayak expert but the Moken suits me just fine. Was easy to fit out with a fish finder, anchor trolly and a scotty type rod holder, a milk crate fits well behind the seat.
As for cons: the overall weight is bit more than stated in sales blurb. Believe the 29 kgs is the weight of the powder they put into the rotomould at time of manufacture, then they fit on all the bits and pieces, hatches seats,rod holders, rudder assembly, and the weight goes up to 35/36 kgs. I weighed mine a couple days after I got it. Also the finish is not quite up to same quality as some of the more expensive yaks available, but once you've scratched it a few times over rocks etc and fish blood n guts and squid ink the all look much the same
May not be as fast as some other yaks, but also won't be last across finish line.
All in all I reckon good value for your $. Hope this helps a bit

kiwipea