PDA

View Full Version : Battery switch question

martinies
11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi guys,

On my second month of owning a bluefin and still have a few lingering questions...

Mainly its about the battery switch, I'm currently using a simple switch between the two batteries. (Similar switch online, http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=84384&intAbsolutePage=1).

1. When the switch is on, this is recommended for starting the motor?
2. When the switch is off, it switches to the secondary and all electrics are drawing power from the secondary battery? Can this be done when the motor is running?
3. When the switch is off, does it charge the primary battery or secondary? or Both?

Just a bit worried, when I tried charging the secondary battery by turning the switch to off, but it seems that its not charging it.

Thanks in advance.

Spaniard_King
11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi guys,

On my second month of owning a bluefin and still have a few lingering questions...

Mainly its about the battery switch, I'm currently using a simple switch between the two batteries. (Similar switch online, http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=84384&intAbsolutePage=1).

1. When the switch is on, this is recommended for starting the motor?
2. When the switch is off, it switches to the secondary and all electrics are drawing power from the secondary battery? Can this be done when the motor is running?
3. When the switch is off, does it charge the primary battery or secondary? or Both?NO it charges Nuthing going on what you have said

Just a bit worried, when I tried charging the secondary battery by turning the switch to off, but it seems that its not charging it.

Thanks in advance.

I would be getting someone with electrical experience to veiw the setup and explain it to you.

Could possibly be set up wrong IMO

peterbo3
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Martin,
As Garry said, you need help. I would also suggest you do NOT start your motor again until that help has arrived.
Post where you are....................................somebody handy may be able to help.

tednted
12-05-2009, 09:32 AM
G'day Mate
That switch is just a standard isolator switch which isolates your starter & main electric loom . You need a 3 way switch so you can select between batteries . once you turn that switch off it completely isolates your cranking battery from your motor which means no power going in or out & no dont turn it off whilst your motor is running
cheers AL

Xtreme
12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Martinies,

Without a schematic diagram you won't be able to get any solid advice here other than what has been offered by tednted, spaniard_king & Peterbro3.

The switch is just a single pole isolator which can only make / break a single connection, either between the main battery and the electrical system or a parallel connection to the second battery in case of emergencies or extended battery range.

Best best is to go to the dealer / previous owner for a lesson.

Failing that, maybe some photos to show how / where the batteries are connected might assist in us helping you out.

Regardless of how it works and what you ultimately want / need it to do, you should NEVER switch any isolator on or off with the engine running.

Cheers, Steve