PDA

View Full Version : Rod to use with Daiwa Alphas?

mjc85
07-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Looking to spend $250 max, going to be used in estuary with probably 10lb braid for casting hard bodys and trolling, maybe odd plastic.

So a rod of about 6'3" or thereabouts.

What do you recommend?

Mitch

Gorey1
07-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey mate.
I matched my alphas R-edition with a cheapo rod I got on special. It was a mojiko 6'2" graphite one. It's not a great brand, but it is the right length and 3-5 kg line class, which suits me casting and trolling for jacks with 10lb line. So far it has handled some nice jacks and cod.
I reckon 3-5kg is the way to go. The other guys on here will know good brands etc better than me, so I'll be watching this thread so I can upgrade mine too.
Mitch.

Plasticin
07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey mate,

I use mine with a team daiwa battler nighthawk which is a rad stick. These have been discontinued for a while and I think Fishhead used to have one for around 200 but that was a while ago. The ATC range of rods, I think, are really great value for money and whilst not having the components of the top end kit they won't let you down. Get into a tackle store and have a chat to one of the guys at least you know you are talking to someone who knows what is going on in the fishing world.

Good luck and its a great reel

NAGG
07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
You've got an awsome reel there Mitch ....... now , do it justice with an appropriate rod :) . - take your time to get it right !

Best of luck

Chris

rhycebullimore
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
loomis cr 663 - lovely piece of kit i had one and upgraded

smith gold cermit rod, the only rod i have found better, but a little out of your range although the loomis if you saved a little more i think would be worth it they are a great rod

mjc85
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
What about this T-curve

TCurve BC BASS 631, it is 6'3" and rated 3-5kg with cast weight of 7-20g.

Would it be suitable?

Rockfish
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Mate i have a t-curve bass and recon its one hell of a rod. they are very nice to hold and cast lightish weights with and have a surprising amount of pulling power if u need to use it...i have used mine on impoundment barra running 30lb braid hard. Will match nicely to your alphas i wouls suggest as it matched to my sol

mjc85
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Mate i have a t-curve bass and recon its one hell of a rod. they are very nice to hold and cast lightish weights with and have a surprising amount of pulling power if u need to use it...i have used mine on impoundment barra running 30lb braid hard. Will match nicely to your alphas i wouls suggest as it matched to my sol

Cheers Mate, I think I've found my rod.

smoked
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
td heartland z deep crank special

wjgrnp
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Mitch
I've got the re edition and started it off on a Penn Pinpoint Tournament 2-4kg (ppt 62 bccm) and was delighted with the rod including its parts and finish. Great value for money.
I have recently upgraded to an Egrell Bear B2 (2-4kg) and just love it.
Have a look at as many rods as you can and pick the one that feels the best with your reel on it.
wjg