PDA

View Full Version : Cast Decks What Sealant

BREAMBOSS01
06-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Hello all putting some cast decks in the boat and wonderring what the best sealant to use on 18mm ply, varnish/furniture oil !! also what method to seal it ie, edges, bottom of the ply. and whats the best glue to put the carpet on with

HORNET75
06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey BREAMBOSS,Just finished doing up my hornet and was advised by a building mate of mine to use either form ply or marine ply and he said it would probably just be fine sticking the carpet down as it was.But he also said that because i do a lot of castnetting that i should use a product called WET SEAL then give it a light sand to roughen it up before using contact cement to stick my outdoor carpet down.Anyway it come up pretty good and sticks like @*$# to a blanket.Hope thats some help.

ragman
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
hey. just finished putting a new floor in my boat too. there is a product called everdure which is a 2 part mix and goes rock hard, quite expensive but good, or else go to your local wattyl dealer and ask them for a product that is the same as that but diff name( cant think of name right now but will check shed 2moro arvo for you). its half the price and does exactly the same thing. then i just used the contact cement you buy from bias and it worked very well. hope that helps, craig

ellste
06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
A normal cd ply will be good enough for this. Once you have cut the ply to shape paint it all especially the edges with some sort of paint.(any thing you have lying around the place) Then just use a contact cement to glue the carpet down.

GBC
07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Bunnings etc do an 18mm economy (ECO) non structural ply. Its finished black and shiny the same as formply, so no surface treatment would be required - just edges. Any waterproofer would be o.k. for the edges, even enamel paint.
I used this ply to make drawers for the ute - they get wet with nil adverse effects.

BREAMBOSS01
07-04-2009, 07:36 PM
thanks for the help, getting marine cd ply from a ply shop in the bay. does anyone know whether the feast watson varnish would be any good for this application. do you seal all of the surfaces or leave the bottom of the ply as is, so to release moisture

Tailortaker
07-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I used marine ply and kwik grip to glue the carpet down for my floor and casting decks..
Cheers TT

BaitThrower
07-04-2009, 07:58 PM
thanks for the help, getting marine cd ply from a ply shop in the bay. does anyone know whether the feast watson varnish would be any good for this application. do you seal all of the surfaces or leave the bottom of the ply as is, so to release moisture

I'd seal them all.
The Feast Watson Spar Marine is good, but only use it if the ply is showing... and only after a sealing coat of something else. On my recent tinnie upgrade I used it on my plywood console, but only after a coat of Norwood Wood Treament (2-part Epoxy sealer)... The Spar Marine is more for if the wood is going to be seen, and requires some UV protection.