PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay jacks

the gecko
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Its been pretty slow up here, but Ive finally found a honey hole. Heres a cupla 44s that took butterflied herring. Both caught in the daytime too, hmmm. They had 3 big brothers that busted me off and got away, so we will be back there soon. Gee they fight harder near heavy snags.

The creeks off the Burrum and Mary rivers are just riddled with sandbars. Its lotsa fun going out at evening and marking them with gps, and coming home at night in strange waters. Down on the goldy canals, you could always see something from a streetlight or pontoon light. These creeks are just pitch black, so youre flying by intruments only. The Burrums not surveyed either, so nobody but the locals know where the rocks are.....no red and green markers round here mate. Then the spotlight dies....

Still no barra or thready yet, but at least Ive got something on the board.

cheers
Andrew

tailorboi99
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Decent fish there Andrew, well done. Love the colour in that second picture.

Tom

Creek Vermin
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice stuff gecko. Might get up there before the season ends yet. Always good to find new spots mate.
Cheers. Keith

Chong
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice one Andrew, better get together soon, like this arvo about 3pm;)
Cheers

roydsy
01-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Great stuff Andrew, I am yet to find a jack in the burrum and congrats on yours.

Give me a bell over Easter if you wanna go chase threadies at River heads.

Roydsy

robersl
01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
good fish well done

bluebeard
01-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey mate,, Looks like good fun..Glad to see you are getting some hook-ups..My father in law lives up at harvey bay..Lots of new water for you it sounds like.Coming home late must be some fun..Good on ya mate...

Bluebeard

Horse
01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
The Burrums not surveyed either, so nobody but the locals know where the rocks are.....

When I lived at Childers for a year I found lots of those rock bars:-/ :P :'( I never got any Jacks like that from them. Just lots of prop dings;D

PaulMark
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Pleased your enjoying our backyard gecko.Today and tomorrow look pretty good.
Paulo

setthehook
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Nice im yet to nail a decent Jack!~! well done mate!

wyndal
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
nice jack man

brisboys
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
good jacks there andrew

Sam

eotbmg
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice work there Andrew
I am sure you will pull those big fish soon enough.
Nice to see they are still around
Ben

nuggstar
02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
;D the jack yoda strikes again ;D nice pair

the gecko
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Roydsy, I’ll take you up on that. Not sure when Im free over easter, but I’ll pm ya mate.

Bluebeard, one of my old jack students, I haven’t heard from you for ages. Are you chasing bass now instead of jacks? I’ll never forget watching you break your cherry with a 52cm jack.

Setthehook, theyre in any of those little creeks between bundy and 1770 if you wanna target em. Maybe we should do a trade…..I’ll take you on a jack hunt, if you take me hunting pelagics…….Im only an hour away from bundy.

CV, nothing here that would interest you mate, better stay put, lol. This creeks not big enough for the two of us.

cheers
Andrew

Didley
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
They had 3 big brothers that busted me off and got away, so we will be back there soon.

Sounds like you've lost your touch, Andrew, time to go back to Jack basics and have a read:LMAO: Might be time to upgrade the old rod to an Egrell.

Sorry mate, Good to see your working things out.

Dids

the gecko
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you've lost your touch, Andrew, time to go back to Jack basics and have a read:LMAO: Might be time to upgrade the old rod to an Egrell.

Sorry mate, Good to see your working things out.

Dids

Sorry I bet......Actually, I know where theres a good post on jack basics, but its not my post (although it did sound a lot like my post). I was thinking that you might offer me that egrell Dids? roflmao.....

The big ones all wrapped me around structure and busted off the braid. At least none were lost to knot failure or failed hookups. Id lost so many jacks last year that I gave up on Gamma Circles a few months ago. Since I changed to Owner Cutting Edge hooks, I havent lost a fish to pulling hooks. They all stick nicely.

Big ones all felt bigger then my 57 pb too. Im sure theres a 60-70cm model down there. maybe I can make a late charge at the end of the season.

Im off tomorrow to buy a 4wd so I can access these dodgy ramps better, and I hate 4wds. The things we do for a fish.

Andrew

Didley
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I was thinking that you might offer me that egrell Dids?

Get the Barra worked out and I'll come up there and let U have a cast or two;D

cuzzamundi
02-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Well done, Andrew!!! Was it anywhere near where I used to fish for 'em? Awesome mate, and that boofing barra will show up one day!
cuzza

the gecko
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi cuzza, no, it was about 10km upstream of your spot, (thanks to Chewy for the hint on the spot).

I gave your spot 3 goes last month cuzza, and got nothing. Mighta been the recent rain, the water was a bit brown. its getting better now. Im sure your spot would fire in the right conditions tho, shame its over an hours drive away from home tho.

cheers
Andrew

warrior
02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
top stuff gecko i too live in the bay and am yet too land a jack,there is so many places to fish finding the time to get up into those places is my prob and being blessed with the mangrove no show curse dosent help.i lived i darwin for 3 years and didnt land one up there either fished with heaps of mates in all the esturies who all had no probs but me a different story.

Steve B
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi cuzza, no, it was about 10km upstream of your spot, (thanks to Chewy for the hint on the spot).

I gave your spot 3 goes last month cuzza, and got nothing. Mighta been the recent rain, the water was a bit brown. its getting better now. Im sure your spot would fire in the right conditions tho, shame its over an hours drive away from home tho.

cheers
Andrew

that Chewy knows a few top spots for sure.....Well done Andrew..you certainly have the red devils sorted down that way!! good on ya mate.

Cheers Steve

ddobson
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Well done on the jacks they ae good. Keep trying the thready's and barra but i would just love to hook up on one of those jacks.Cheers