PDA

View Full Version : what Kayak for the wife?!

whitebeach
30-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Want to get a kayak for my wife's birthday. Neither of us have ever kayaked! So want something 1. easy to use. 2. Stable. 3. possibly for 2 people. 4. Not expensive.

We live on the beach so won't be transporting more than draging it down the beach.

Cheers

tobig
30-03-2009, 09:17 AM
have a look at a viking nemo 2+1 can take two and a kid or one can paddle it eazy 3.9 m long and very stabel cost around $1000

tenzing
30-03-2009, 09:23 AM
have a look at a viking nemo 2+1 can take two and a kid or one can paddle it eazy 3.9 m long and very stabel cost around $1000
I have one of these and it is excellent.
The guy at viking at kedron is great to deal with and they customize each one to your needs. Highly recommend them
Brendan

whitebeach
30-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I have one of these and it is excellent.
The guy at viking at kedron is great to deal with and they customize each one to your needs. Highly recommend them
Brendan

Thanks for the advice!!

whitebeach
30-03-2009, 02:11 PM

Is 'sit on' better than 'sit in'?

tenzing
30-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Two completely different animals.
You are supposed to get wet on sit ons , you dont have to eskimo roll etc.
They are a more basic device and easier for we beginners.
The 2+1 viking does weigh in at about 37 kg though.
Brendan

Boomi Boy
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
My yak is for getting away from the missus, if I was getting one for mine it would have remote control bungs, and I would have the remote!!!

cheers

tunaticer
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
If you intend on eventually have a pair of kayaks, hers and his, be sure she gets the faster kayak as she will be much happier paddling a more streamlined kayak. A fishing kayak is generally a tad less streamlined to be able to carry the gear and have all the rod holders etc that are needed. maybe a wave ski / surf kayak in fibreglass would be a happier compromise for the missus?

One thing women hate is being in a more sluggish kayak trying to keep up with the hubby on a sleek bit of kit.

bassfan
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
My yak is for getting away from the missus, if I was getting one for mine it would have remote control bungs, and I would have the remote!!!

cheers

;D ;D ;D

...or a remote for a berly trail release in shark infested waters...:-X

JRJR
19-04-2009, 06:12 PM
None. Leave her at home. hehe

bilby
25-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi,
Personally i would get two singles, Hobie Lanai's are excellent first kayaks, have all the requirements you need and have great resale value, can be picked up for around $750 ea. Tandems are great if you always go out in pairs but are a pain in the ar%e if you want to use them solo.
Cheers Bill.