PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Macks At Sand Hills

SNAFU
08-02-2009, 03:06 PM
hi all,

went over to sand hills this morning to see if any spotties there.(none).bit rough but fishable. found birds around beakon out from hills . found bonito with BIG spanish mackies going for them big time . saw them go past me and a couple of breaches completley out of water . no luck . talked to old mate there who also said they were spaniards . he had 2 hits but no hook up as they trashed the bonito. he was useing poppers and i was useing crome slugs. will go back mon or tues or wed depending on weather as have a couple rdo owing. will try poppers as old mate said they work a trerat for tuna & spanish. fish only stay up for about 30 sec or so. might try pillies as well drifting.
any info on getting spaniards would be appreciated.

SNAFU;D

Horse
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
See if you can spin up a little Bonnie and send it back out with a hook through the nose and a stinger treble further back on a bit of single strand wire

FNQCairns
08-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Like Horse says, also a largish as a minimum garfish ziptied to a gang hook setup for lightness or one of the garfish trolling rigs and use it as a sinking slow retrieve lure in just the same way, mildly heavy to cast but anything toothy will think it's an easy lollie.

cheers fnq

webby
08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Try trolling a rig like below, from the sandhills up past tangas following the drop offs, especially if you have a d.r. or paravane.
regards

tropicrows
08-02-2009, 06:42 PM
SNAFU,

now I don't know what to do. I was heading outside with a chap from work on Tuesday weather permitting, to find some surface action. Might be better to try around the sand hills ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????? Given my luck, at least if I go outside you might hook up.

kokomo
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
i saw some thing big thrashing around the beacons today..

lt tuna maybe?

plenty of action inside imo

Spectre
08-02-2009, 08:28 PM
G'day Rob

Spanish u say ....!!!
We to were looking at going wide on Tues if all goes well.
Hopefully they will be outside as wel !!!
All of the above tips are good...slow trolled livies would be the pick, if u can get em !!!

What boat will u be in on Tues...??

Good luck.

Cheers
Phil

SNAFU
08-02-2009, 10:20 PM
hi all,

will go to sand hills on monday for a go at the big buggers.
in a 4.8 center concal fisher .
monday looks the pick of weather so far according to sea breeze and BOM.
fish seem to go off just after high tide.

SNAFU