PDA

View Full Version : Jacks from a Kayak

Just_chips
26-01-2009, 08:46 AM
This year I have started to seriously target Jacks from my kayak. I have managed a fair bit of success so far with about 7 fish landed this summer so far ranging between a baby of around 25cm up to respectalble fish of around 48cm with most fish in the mid 40's. Of late I have been trolling lures whilst paddling along in front of the snags and experiencing a good hookup rate on the Jacks. Problem is that I have been having trouble converting these hookups into landed fish.

It all starts when you hear that exhilarating scream of the drag as a fish crunches your lure whilst already trying to head back to his snag. Previously in this situation I would reach back (trolling rods mounted behind me) and grab the rod to fight the fish with my paddle in my lap and concentrate on getting the fish into a managable position before stowing my paddle and grabbing a net, this was often a bit of a race with the fish dragging the yak towards it's snag. I was winning the race most of the time so this worked out fine for a while with the occasional bust up in the snags, which I thought was par for the course with this form of fishing. But more recently I have been losing more fish than I can land. I thought a change in tactics might help and upon hookup I would take half a dozen powerful strokes and alter course into the middle of the creek or canal that I was fishing to try and take the fish away from it's home base. But this has not seemed to help either as it just seems to give the fish a wider arc in the line to work with and I would just get run into the next snag along. I'm still using the same gear with an extemely tight drag setting, so I figure that I'm either hooking a better class of fish or hooking them closer to their snag.

If anybody has any tips that they think may help me stay attached, please pass them on. I am not bothered whether these are simply a theory or based on experience, I am open to all suggestions to help turn these missed chances into fish and also save me a few bucks in lost lures.

Generally I am trolling with my spin rod that I originally bought for inshore snapper fishing which consists of and Ian Miller raider rod 3-5kg with 2500 shimano twin power loaded with 10 pound fireline and a 20 pound fluorocarbon leader. I crank the drag well up beyond a normal breaking strain for this line whilst doing this form of sudden death fishing.

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated.

Kev

Bennywise
27-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you need a Hobie Kayak to keep your hands free....

I currently have a OK P13 kayak and have the same problem as you even when chasing wild bass. I am thinking of getting the hobie outback for my creek fishing to keep my hands free and stop them pulling me into the snags.

Ben

rugbymick
30-01-2009, 08:19 AM
One thing I found that helps is to tie some rope from the kayak to the paddle. When the drag goes off first thing I do is throw the paddle out the opposite side to the rod. When you finish with the fish, you just drag the paddle back in. Saves a lot of time trying to stow your paddle , etc. I don't even bother with a net. I find on the 6lb fireline the fish tend to be pretty tired by the time I get them in so they are easy to drag up onto the Viking and release if needed.

jareyjareyjareyjarey
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
i have a theory. im no jack fisho but have you tried drifting and casting? this allows you to be ready at the strike. on the down side you have to do alot of stopping and starting... just an idea.
let us know how you go on any future trips

Leighton
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Pedal powered Hobie or
Try backing your drag off, working on the Theory of the less muscle you put on the Jack the tamer they fight. Cant hurt loosing another lure

bassfan
05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Just Chips, the tackle shops must love you with all those lures you are replacing :)

I reckon you are undergunned and would lose a lot less gear & land more jacks using a quality baitcaster with 30lb line, tightened drag, and heavy baitcaster 10-15 kg rod. With the dough your losing on lures you could set yourself up with the right gear.

BF

gaintsquid
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Or go baitcaster style locked up drag 20 - 30lb braid and 30lb - 50lb leader. Might give you more chance of the fish taking less drag to his home, or on the flip side you might get towed into his snag, paddle hard i guess.

Just_chips
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, in regards to some of the suggestions please read on:

I do stop and cast at snags also, and for this I use a 5-8kg stick with a shimano calcutta loaded with 30pd braid with a 30pd flourocarbon leader. I cast with deep diving lures that dive down the face of banks and deep into snags but float back away if I hook up on the sticks.

The reason I don't troll with this setup is because the lures I generally have tied on here dive up to 4.5m which is often too deep for general travel through most of the creeks I fish. I troll with the other setup between castable snags, it just surprises me sometimes where you hook jacks on the troll.

Anyway with upcoming reno work at home and the snaps starting to move back into reddy, I may not get another chance this summer to hit the creeks for those red buggers.

I won't be going a hobbie just yet as believe it or not I do enjoy the physical aspect of the paddling as on some days it can be quite a workout.

Kev

mangrove rat
10-02-2009, 05:54 PM
hey mate, when do u start at reddy for snaps, do you guys get alot? we fish the northern end and some mornings theres 20-30 kayaks out there, but sorry, none of you guys ever look like your getting any, we get a few and too be fair, not alot of people in tinnys look like they get any either, but there is always 10 kayakers to every 1 tinny up there (obvious im not talking scarby reef which looks like westfields at xmas for tinnies!)
just thought i'd ask cos ive never really spoken to any kayakers out there, but have always pondered how they've gone
cheers mate, andrew

Just_chips
10-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Redcliffe snapper are available year round but more common through the cooler months. Some kayakers do better than others as with the hordes of tinnies.

There are a few regular Ausfishers who do well out there but you will rarely see a report from them because of the sheep that will follow them around as soon as they say they have caught a fish.

Kev

Gorey1
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
G'day Kev.

I had some luck trolling for jacks on the weekend. I got busted off once where I didn't get a chance to grab the rod, but most times, due to my using a rod holder up front, I was able to pull the jack out before he got home. I use a paddle leash but I don't ditch the paddle - just put it in my lap.
Pulled a couple of hooks but landed 2 for the morning. 10lb braid, 20lb fluoro leader.
The rod in front of me seems to work fairly well, rather than using the rear holders.
Cheers

Fishin_Dan
17-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Just Chips. Not sure what kayak you have, but maybe look at getting an adjustable rod holder to go in front of you between your feet. That way you will see the hit and be able to paddle hard away from the snag, or drop the paddle in your lap as you lean forward to grab the rod.

You might be able to see the hit before it pulls drag, so you may get a better success rate.

Just_chips
17-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks Dan,

The hits that I have got so far from the jacks have been absolutely ferocious. There is no time between the hit and the drag screaming, there is no middle ground with these fish This is definetaly part of their attraction.

I do have some forward mounted rod holders but I am tall (6'4") with long arms and have to adjust my paddle stroke to use them. These holders are a Berkley and a snaplock and they were mounted in what I believed at the time to be the best spot but it just didn't work out that way so I often don't use them, also with the power the the fish have been hitting, I wouldn't trust the holders to keep the rod locked in, even with a lanyard the last thing you need is a reel i the water (maybe I need to get a Scotty).

Next time out I am going to give Leighton's theory a go and give them a bit less drag preasure up front. I can always crank it up during the fight if needed.

Cheers again all for your interest. Next summer they will be at the top of my things to do list, but for now i've got a big reno starting at home, so I won't be able to put in the time I would like to for the last couple of months of this season.

Kev