PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex offshore

patroltrav
21-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi guys im looking at buying a 6.7m Quintrex offshore centre cabin I was just wondering what you guys thoughts are on them please.

Wahoo
21-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Patrol, please dont take this the wrong way, dont do it, the ride in them with a bit of chop is shocking.................just remember thats MHO only

dont know what $$$$ you are willing to part with, but look around for a late model 2nd hand plate boat

Daz

jtpython
21-12-2008, 12:17 PM
LOL Make sure you have a spare spine ........ I think they are fairlky pricey too, a mate of mine bought one beautiful boat well set out but a bone crusher and i think he forked out the better side of 67 g's for it ................ You could buy a nice fiberglass for that
Don't want to upset any owners of them
Merry Xmas
JT

marty+jojo
21-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I went for a ride in a 610 offshore, and i have to agree with Wahoo and JT.
Marty.

finding_time
21-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Just because it has the self bestowed title of "Offshore" doesn't mean it's at all capable of the task, there are just soooooo many better options for the price!;) But hey if you like travelling offshore in a boat that WILL beat you half to death in anything but perfect conditions it is definately the boat to get!;D

Ian

Ps

The above is just my personal opinion though!:o

tunaticer
21-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I take it there is no Offshore Owners Club with happy smiling faces then?

Alchemy
21-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Mate, as others have said, don't do it. I had a 600 offshore from new, and it was the worst riding boat I have ever been in. Unfortunately for me it was my first "big" boat and I got caught up in the brand reputation. I ended up with multiple cracked ribs, welds and bulk heads torn away from ribs. The only positive in this story is that the factory repaired all damage, even though it was out of warranty by six months when I uncovered the damage.

Regards,
Dave.

trilogy
21-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I understand that if you buy one new quintrex will replace all fillings that are knocked out of your teeth for the first 3 trips.

GBC
22-12-2008, 07:05 AM
They'll also reweld your split hull - assuming you make it home.

Forming a different opinion yet?

Fish Guts
22-12-2008, 09:29 AM
dont bother . had a 610 offshore. everything in them is cheap. everything breaks.

jtpython
22-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Well and here i was worried we might upset some owners LOL

djgtom
22-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I've had one of these pieces of junk.........my back aches just thinking about the thing.

dean

GAD
22-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't do it terrible ride

Jeremy
22-12-2008, 05:49 PM
LOL I wonder whether telewater read ausfish

Jeremy

1lastcast
22-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Well there you go hey , i always thought they were great .
SH!T im glad i never got one if there that bad

surveyor
22-12-2008, 09:35 PM
My mate has a 610 offshore that we use heaps .i reckon the the ride is pretty good it no haines hunter but a good honest ride .it has heaps of room and is a great boat to fish fromand use (remeber some great riding boats are pretty hard work on the pick)BUT it has a bad habit I wonder if anyone else has experienced it if you travel too fast it will stop dead when the nose hits that one deep wave i reckon the big bluff front is great that it does nt bury and is dry but they can catch you out even at moderate speeds (iwont say its a broach )but a great tub in the rough if you plod around

scorpionNQ
22-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Well there you have it Patrol, as they say "ä thousand drunks can't be wrong" 1 member out of 15 said it was not bad = 7% eerrrr NO WAY. As someone said, for the money have a good look around and if you want to run offshore most of the time look at a plate or glass boat. Even up here in the sticks I have heard this about the bigger Quinnies before.
Good luck

patroltrav
23-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the advise guys might have to look at either something like a Bar Crusher, Trailcraft or Tabs in a plate boat or a Haines or Freedom in a fibreglass.

julian1
23-12-2008, 11:52 AM
oh no here we got Tabs are harsh too as are the Trailcraft, there was footage on youtube on a big trailcraft and blokes on board getting pounded, maybe go for Barcrusher 640 would my pick on a tighter budget or Noble Supervee or Fisher if spare coin

Mindi
23-12-2008, 01:08 PM
you would have to ignore a lot of posts about dreadful quality in telwater boats to buy one

Noelm
23-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I reckon go for a ride yourself, then you will know if it is your cup of tea, for every one who says "run forest run" there will be just as many that will not be able to praise them enough! see for yourself, but it is a bag of cash so you want to make the right choice first off!

Chimo
23-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi PT

Hi guys im looking at buying a 6.7m Quintrex offshore centre cabin I was just wondering what you guys thoughts are on them please.

Dont do it for all the above reasons etc:(

Read PW report in F & B -- He has one of theirs to which they fitted a diesel and reading between the lines in their report plus all the Telwater feedback re support for buyers, why would you want to go there?:o

Get a FRP for ride and resale and lack of splits and other things that make it leak and or sink. have you looked at the Seafarer Voyager 6.8 walkaround with good bunks good seaboat but possibly a bit wet in some seas. Then again if you wanted to be dry you would buy a Vagabond and not a walkaround.:-*

At present there are some v good buys around in much better boats IMHO;D

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
23-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Nothing strictly wrong with a rough boat, just travel slower, often many people do the same trip in a metre or more less boat with all of the associated roughness a lack of length entails (please no cat comments:)), quality of construction is something else entirely different, stay well clear of where the smoke is and if there is a known fire...a person deserves lots of they get, if they ignore it or worse couldn't be bothered to look past the paint to do the homework before a purchase of this size....IMO go glass and a known good one, you will never look back at aluminium unless for nich reasons.

cheers fnq

dodgyone
23-12-2008, 08:23 PM
oh no here we got Tabs are harsh too as are the Trailcraft, there was footage on youtube on a big trailcraft and blokes on board getting pounded, maybe go for Barcrusher 640 would my pick on a tighter budget or Noble Supervee or Fisher if spare coin

This might be the one. 10kmh and not fun at all. Not been back on board since tht day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/dodgyone/th_comp035.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/dodgyone/?action=view&current=comp035.flv)

Moonlighter
24-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Don't do it!!!!

A mate had a 610 and the dash split down the middle after a days fishing in the bay in 15-20 knots when other boats, one of which I was in, were doing it relatively easy. Dash grab rail broke off at the same time too. Q didn't want to know.

There are many other better alternatives out there.

wakakiwi
26-12-2008, 09:02 PM
was going to tell u about the time i had a fellow follow me out in one in a 1.7 metre swell in one but i think the others have said it all far to lite for any off shore work go glass

toymod
27-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Heres a vid for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2lRrGxgq2Y

Atleast you will have good backup for warranty claim when you take it for repairs doing what they do

FNQCairns
27-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Heres a vid for ya

Atleast you will have good backup for warranty claim when you take it for repairs doing what they do

Except for the disclaimer at the end, the trained 'whatever' professionals yada yada yada.

Witness a good glass boat and that one side by side, the type of accelerated water thrown out would be very different, the glass boat would throw big globs of soft water as it 'cushs' down not the high pressure water blast that comes from that hull on landing, it's not soft at all.

cheers fnq

Vindicator
28-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Would have been good to have a microphone in the bot when they were hitting those waves. Then you would have heard all the groans from the crew. Notice they didn't flm it in real offshore conditions.

Cheers
Kezza