PDA

View Full Version : Natures Best

snelly1971
08-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I headed up the Gordon River , here in Strahan last Thursday to conduct a Wake test for my boat with DPIW. Departing from Strahan we traveled the 20 NM to the mouth of the Gordon River, which then restricts us back to 6 Knots for the next 22 NM, until we reached Sir John Falls. Sir John Falls, is very close to where the controversial Gordon / Below Franklin Dam would have been built in the Mid 80`s, had it nor been for Bob Brown and his Green friends.
I am no Greenie, but gee I am glad this place has been saved. The beauty has to be seen first hand to be believed.
There was at one time, Large charter boats operating right up to Sir John Falls, but due to several Factors, it had to be closed off, which now see`s the bigger boats only venturing to Heritage Landing, approx 6 Nm from the mouth of the Gordon.
The Wake test I had to have my boat tested to, allows me to enter other Zones, including Sir John Falls, but only for Works/ or Managment purposes. Hopefully in time, I will be allowed to take paying Pax up to view the beauty of the Falls, and maybe even spend a night in the EX Hydro camp which is situated very close to the Wharf and Falls.

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
08-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Few more Pics

trueblue
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
It certainly is an extraordinary place to see. It was raining on and off when I saw that area in August, and it was beautiful the way the fog sits so low in the river between the hills.

cheers

Mick

Horse
09-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Nice place. Hope the give you access to the zones. Give you a chance to get some charters when the weather turns bad

NAGG
09-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Looks like one of those special places.......... Glad to see it was spared too

chris

trueblue
12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
the amazing thing is that the sides of the river would have had the massive huon pines 150 years ago, all cut down and gone now.