PDA

View Full Version : Podding my Project

RED-355
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
i have recently purchased a fraser 20.5 ft

i am thinking of podding it to get more cabin space!!

are fibreglass pods better than metal tubular ones???

also motor is for sale on ebay-150

also if you want to give me some encouragement it wont go astray.

i will post up some photos as it progresses!!!

jimbo59
03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Gday red i recon fibreglass pods are the way to go. I sell a bolt on pod or i can build up the transom and extend the hull and glass up a pod. Ally ones reduce the value of the hull imo. Cheers jim

Noelm
04-12-2008, 07:21 AM
unless you are going to do extensive Transom work, then just fitting a pod and leaving the Motor well and general shape as it is, you will not gain too much, as Jim said fibreglaas pods do seem to be better value, unless the Alloy one is custom made as a one off to suit your Boat.

RED-355
04-12-2008, 04:44 PM
if you have a look at photo 2322 i want to cut the rear section off and continue the seat right along the rear. so i suppose it is a major job!!!

do you fix plate steel both inside and outside of the transom too???

i have included some shots of the new floor i am placing down underneath!!

RED-355
05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
hey jim do you have any pics + pricing for a pod????

gavsgonefishing
05-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey Red do you have to replace the transom or is it all good?

I would be keeping some of the back gunnel as it does look good. Keep the port and st bits cut the well out and fill the centre to the same angle of the outside of the gunnel.

The existing seats can then me made up as storage boxs with lids. The front of the rear gunnel will now be one peice all the was across, beef it upby continuing the front right through to the sides of the boat. For that distance maybe use glassed in 12mm ply. This then can become the back of your seat. The seat of your seat can be on hnges so when its not required flip it down

The batts etc can still sit at the back out of the road

hope this makes somee sense.

What is the boat primarily be used for
Gav

gavsgonefishing
05-12-2008, 06:44 AM
As for the pod, if the transoms good I would be tempted to glass one on. It is expensive way to go and maybe worth pickink up one that has been made a nd tested etc

Tri N Hard
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Just remember when u bolt a pod on your extending the lengh of the boat,so now that same motor is going to way the boat down at the back more, unless u get a pod that adds buoyance and takes that extra weight.I had a haines 580sl with a fibreglass pod which also had moulded duck boards that was sealed and had its own bungs with a 225 yammy on it and it was very could.

RED-355
08-12-2008, 07:04 AM
cool, thanks, the boat will be used as a family boat with the odd fishing trip.

the transom seems ok, but as i am new to fibreglass boats im no expert.

adding a pod will cause much greater bending moments on the transom, and will have to be braced accordingly!

im replacing the front floor atm so 12mm ply (british standard) is not a problem if i
choose to extend the transom.

jimbo59
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey red sorry for being slow to get back to you but this computa has been a dog a bolt on pod is 700 a glassed in full lenght starts at 4500.

Razgo-
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey red sorry for being slow to get back to you but this computa has been a dog a bolt on pod is 700 a glassed in full lenght starts at 4500.

you make these custom f/glass pods? I might need a quote for mine as i was thinking only aluminum.

jimbo59
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah no problem im close to horizon shores so give me a yell and we will have a look. A hartley with a outboard ya might even lose ya hair piece;D

Haines Boy
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey Jimbo. Love the look of that FG pod conversion. I have a original '78 V19C and have been seeking options for regaining that valuable deck space taken up by rear seats and engine well. It has been stated in other posts that these hulls dont go so well converted. I would never risk the wonderful handling characteristics of my pride and joy however. Rather than hoping for the best could you fill me in if you calculate the size of pod required to float the weight of the outboard therebye returning the hull to its original waterline. Or is it more complex than that? Would a full width hull extension following the chines be a better option with stability in mind or does this provide too much bouyancy?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'm sure these issues would be easily understood by a naval architect so if anyone could be so kind....

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Jimbo. Love the look of that FG pod conversion. I have a original '78 V19C and have been seeking options for regaining that valuable deck space taken up by rear seats and engine well. It has been stated in other posts that these hulls dont go so well converted. I would never risk the wonderful handling characteristics of my pride and joy however. Rather than hoping for the best could you fill me in if you calculate the size of pod required to float the weight of the outboard therebye returning the hull to its original waterline. Or is it more complex than that? Would a full width hull extension following the chines be a better option with stability in mind or does this provide too much bouyancy?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'm sure these issues would be easily understood by a naval architect so if anyone could be so kind....

Hey HB

IF you decide to pod, go full width hull extension, only way to go on these ( 19C )
boats.

Garry ( Spaniard King ) has put up some photo's of hull extensions in previous posts that look the goods.

Cheers

VS

jimbo59
07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
It has been stated in other posts that these hulls dont go so well converted. I would never risk the wonderful handling characteristics of my pride and joy however.
Well dont, if you like it how it is then dont change anything.

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
It has been stated in other posts that these hulls dont go so well converted. I would never risk the wonderful handling characteristics of my pride and joy however.
Well dont, if you like it how it is then dont change anything.

I agree Jimbo, have toyed with the idea a couple of times myself ( same boat, 19C )

In the end I reasoned that the boat is better left in it's original state, however, as a mate of mine who used to work for Haines when they were building the C's stated to me some time ago, if I wanted to pod, he would only do a hull extension on that boat, not a 1/2 size bolt on.

Cheers

Bill

rhycebullimore
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
hey i have a 17c and you guys seem to be in the know i have started to convert it through to a full center console...alls going well and i had full intentions to pod it...im almost to the stage of building in the transome so its a full size/height transome. The 17c was a much narrower type of boat than the 19's and i have ben told they will go well with a pod ? i was getting a full custome made positive flotation pod built (alloy) bolt on very similar to the pic of full glassed one. what are your thoughts ?

thanks

Spaniard_King
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Red,

Have a look at this post http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=119886&highlight=213C

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2009, 07:10 PM
hey i have a 17c and you guys seem to be in the know i have started to convert it through to a full center console...alls going well and i had full intentions to pod it...im almost to the stage of building in the transome so its a full size/height transome. The 17c was a much narrower type of boat than the 19's and i have ben told they will go well with a pod ? i was getting a full custome made positive flotation pod built (alloy) bolt on very similar to the pic of full glassed one. what are your thoughts ?

thanks

Hi

As mentioned earlier, if I was to pod, I would go as a hull extension, full width or close to.

The characteristics of the boat ( which is a good one ) should not dramatically change.

DO NOT put on a 1/2 size bolt on job.

My thoughts

Cheers

VS

Haines Boy
08-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey Jimbo didnt want to ruffle any feathers there mate. I rekon the market for pods would be huge if a proven recipe was in place. Lets face it if your repowering an older hull and there are some time proven beauties out there, the least ya have to do is build up the transom to accept the 25inch leg of new outboards.
IMO if one man can build it another man can improve it. So why not go the hog and create the space and features of a newer boat only with the old school ride all at a fraction of the new price.
The challenge of course is the suitable design for each hull as they are all subtly different. After a little peek into marine design one thing is clear... that is one complex science.
I might be a bit naive but somebody has to have the experience to get it right first time?
So if thats you or someone you know please step up.
Thanks VS i'll search Garry's pics.

Haines Boy
08-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Crikey VS had to run out to the yard and check my boat was still there . Lookin at your rig there the same boat right down to the opti. But on closer inspection I'm down 50 horses on you. I see you went the 20 inch leg. I had to build my transom up to suit a 25inch used motor. Would you mind telling me what your fuel capacity is? I have 100l under floor and cant see how a bigger tank would fit in that space.
Cheers
My motivation with the pod is to create a deck that fishes 4 and sleeps 2 so we can do reef trips in comfort. Extra fuel would be a bonus too.
PS nice boat. Ha Ha

Haines Boy
08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Just to clarify. Does a hull extension involve removing the existing transom all together and extending the stringers etc and virtually rebuilding the back section so the boat is then 2ft longer?

Haines Boy
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Spaniard King thanks for your link. The first photo shows the width stopping just short of full width but the second shot looks wider. Am i seeing things.
Is this 213C a boat you owned ? If so could you comment on handling pre and post mods.
Could I ask you to PM me the guys number who did the work.
Thanks

Vitamin Sea
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Crikey VS had to run out to the yard and check my boat was still there . Lookin at your rig there the same boat right down to the opti. But on closer inspection I'm down 50 horses on you. I see you went the 20 inch leg. I had to build my transom up to suit a 25inch used motor. Would you mind telling me what your fuel capacity is? I have 100l under floor and cant see how a bigger tank would fit in that space.
Cheers
My motivation with the pod is to create a deck that fishes 4 and sleeps 2 so we can do reef trips in comfort. Extra fuel would be a bonus too.
PS nice boat. Ha Ha

Hi

I have 130 litres under the floor and a 100 litre tank under the well set up on a 2 way valve set up.

Must admit, since I've had the Opti, have not need both, how far are you traveling?

Would you really be able to fish 4 easily with the extension? not so sure, different if you are in a cat maybe or hand lining or using winches, don't know.

As mentioned, sure have thought about it, but considered keeping a classic original;D

200 is nice, 50 mph top end, cruise on 3800 at about 27-28mph.

Post a pic, like to see it.

Cheers

Bill

MEGA'bite
08-01-2009, 09:20 PM
nice boat bill and a top bloke to

Haines Boy
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
G'Day Bill
Tried posting a pic but admin stopped it as invalid. What the?
Mine has a largish prop from the last user. Does 23 to 27mph at 3600.
Used to run it 4200rpm-33mph cos she really sings sweetly at that rev but shes uses 30% less fuel at 3600. [i use premium]
WOT is only 4980 for 39mph.
Last trip to Fitzroy Lagoon was 3days 2nights with 3 on board.
Did 160klm for 145L.
I fit 55L in jerrys in the cabin cupboard and a mate carried 30L on his boat.
Would be keen to see your live well and 100L tank location.
Cheers
Alex.

Haines Boy
10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah Bill fishing 4 is a stretch. 2 is optimum for sure. I went out on a 30Ft cat with 3 and 2 would have been better so i know where your coming from.
After doing the math all I'd gain is 400mm of deck. No i couldn't bring myself to deface the old girl just for that. Still its fun considering the options.
Seems I can only post one image at a time.

Haines Boy
10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Images of Haines V19C

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
G'Day Bill
Tried posting a pic but admin stopped it as invalid. What the?
Mine has a largish prop from the last user. Does 23 to 27mph at 3600.
Used to run it 4200rpm-33mph cos she really sings sweetly at that rev but shes uses 30% less fuel at 3600. [i use premium]
WOT is only 4980 for 39mph.
Last trip to Fitzroy Lagoon was 3days 2nights with 3 on board.
Did 160klm for 145L.
I fit 55L in jerrys in the cabin cupboard and a mate carried 30L on his boat.
Would be keen to see your live well and 100L tank location.
Cheers
Alex.

Hey Alex

You are over proped mate, you need to be pulling at least 5500, if you don't get near that you will certainly shorten the life of your motor, could kill it fairly quickly. You will find that fuel figures should also improve if the prop is right, to give you an idea, friday before last I did 131k's for 76 litres, Flattyfinder also gets similar if not a bit better numbers than me, I think he has a 175 Opti.

I will post up some pics of the rear tank and bait tank set up.

Cheers

Bill

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Images of Haines V19C

Hmmm, twins, very nice.

Looks like a really good original example Alex, don't do it.

Cheers

Bill

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2009, 07:02 PM
i have recently purchased a fraser 20.5 ft

i am thinking of podding it to get more cabin space!!

are fibreglass pods better than metal tubular ones???

also motor is for sale on ebay-150

also if you want to give me some encouragement it wont go astray.

i will post up some photos as it progresses!!!

PS Red

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread

Cheers

VS

Haines Boy
10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Bill,
How does over propping shorten engine life.
If I'm running within optimum rev range should it matter?
Thanks
Alex

Vitamin Sea
11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey Bill,
How does over propping shorten engine life.
If I'm running within optimum rev range should it matter?
Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex

Have a quick look at this, Noelm explains it better than I ever could
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=140792

On your motor there will be a plate with information including max revs, I'm assuming it will be about 5600~5800 for your motor, mine is 5750rpm's.

You need to be pulling very close to the stated max revs at WOT.

Cheers

Bill

Haines Boy
11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
OK Bill, Read that post by NoelM [knows a thing or two] and I,m off to Solas.
Many thanks
Alex

Vitamin Sea
11-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Good move Alex

Over proping is real bad for motors, you should be running about a 14 1/2' dia x 17P, but Solas will give you the good oil.

While you are in the buying mode, get a set of tabs, will make a big difference, trust me.;)

Cheers

Bill

Haines Boy
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM
That is the prop i have now Bill.
Spoke to Mercury today and they calculated a prop size 14.3D 13P.
Of course this size doesn't exist so the recommended size is 16D 13P.
That is a Mirage prop. Priced at $1150 ouch.
So now I'll get Solas' opinion.
Out of interest what size prop are you spinning?
And what benefits are you hinting at with tabs?
Do you mean the plate SS type or those new low profile ones?
I couldn't sea any on your boat.
Appreciate your input Bill
Cheers Alex.

Vitamin Sea
13-01-2009, 07:41 PM
That is the prop i have now Bill.
Spoke to Mercury today and they calculated a prop size 14.3D 13P.
Of course this size doesn't exist so the recommended size is 16D 13P.
That is a Mirage prop. Priced at $1150 ouch.
So now I'll get Solas' opinion.
Out of interest what size prop are you spinning?
And what benefits are you hinting at with tabs?
Do you mean the plate SS type or those new low profile ones?
I couldn't sea any on your boat.
Appreciate your input Bill
Cheers Alex.

Hey Alex

I'm running a 14 1/2 x 17P Vengeance, not the best prop made but it does the job, $1150, more than I've got:P

Tabs go very well with the 19's, in my opinion, all boats over 17' should all have them, plenty written about them on this forum, have a look.

Cut out wind lean, balance uneven loads, great into head and 1/4 seas, well worth it.

I ended up going with QL'S, but would be happy with Bennetts as well.

PM for further info

Cheers

Bill