PDA

View Full Version : PFDs in Kayaks

Tazmaniac
02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
My son, 16, has recently started an apprenticeship and wants to spend some of his hard earned on a kayak. Don't have a problem with that, were I do have a problem is his reluctance to wear a PFD. He reckons I'm worrying about nothing, that I only want to spoil his fun, that if his sunnies fall off he wont be able to dive down and get them, and so on and so on ! ! ! I said if he goes on the water without a jacket I'll cut the kayak in half with the grinder.
What do experienced " kayakers " think ? Am I being unreasonable ?
I don't think I am, but would appreciate comments.
Taz

JRJR
03-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Even experienced Kayakkers wear PFD. Just about every Yakker I see wears one. There is nothing uncool about it. Nobody is going to point and laugh.

Wearing a pfd has no bearing on the amount of fun he will have. Has he looked at any pfds? It's not like they are huge big yellow floaties or anything. In fact they can be an accessory as some have pockets that you can carry tackle in

If he is worried about losing his sunnies then get a cord to hold them on and he won't ever lose them.

All serious Yak fishermen wear pfds.

When I fish off shore, in addition to my pfd I carry a handheld marine radio, flare, signal mirror and sunscreen. (all inside my pfd)

PinHead
03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Oh to be 16 again and 10' tall and bulletproof.

First off..ask him how easy it is to get back into a yak once you are out of it in the water..not as simple as it may seem.
Secondly..get him to wear a manually inflatable pfd..non intrusive.
as said previously..put a cord on the sunnies.

If he is considering getting in out and having a swim beside it etc then I would suggest a surf ski instead of a yak.

FNQCairns
03-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah just be sure the exit hole is a large one, designs differ, possibly a self inflatable one might be the go.

cheers fnq

oldboot
03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
The bottom line is that if he is going to paddle anywhere else that smooth waters within revetments or in small creeks he is required to carry one anyway along with the standard safety gear for small craft.

so if he has to carry a life jacket why not wear it

cheers

Tazmaniac
04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, seems you all agree with me ( just as I thought ).
I'll be sticking to my guns and hopefully the grinder won't be put into action ! !
Cheers
Taz.

shrunken pojie
07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Taz,

I think you are taking this a little far. Never make threats that you are not prepared to carry through and then live with ALL the consequences of. This one could quite possible land you in JAIL if your son takes it the wrong way!

I'm not sure where you are, but it’s not law in Queensland to be waring a jacket in a yak.

Your son is a big boy now and needs to learn for himself. Let him make his own mistakes. The more you go on about it, the less likely he is going to be to do what you want anyway.

That’s my two bobs worth.

Phill.

oldboot
07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Ahh that sound like the voice of a teenager;D

I agree the use of an angle grinder is a bit excessive... apart from the fact that is is not the most appropriate tool....angle grinders perform very poorly on plastics and present un necessary WHS risks.

A hole saw in a battey drill would easily achieve the aims, with less noise and scattered waste material;D similarly a simple wood hand saw will do the job very well on a plastic craft.

It may not be law to wear a life jacket in a kayak or canoe...... unless of course you are under 12 then it most certainly is.

But it is required to carry one " Except in river, creek or stream or waters contained within breakwaters or revetments........IF the boat has positive floatation AND grab handles"

so if you have to carry one why not wear it.......not like you are over blessed with storage in a kayak.

don't forget you also should be carrying... suitable bailing equipment, an anchor with 18 meters of cable and drinking water.

cheers

PinHead
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Ahh that sound like the voice of a teenager;D

I agree the use of an angle grinder is a bit excessive... apart from the fact that is is not the most appropriate tool....angle grinders perform very poorly on plastics and present un necessary WHS risks.

A hole saw in a battey drill would easily achieve the aims, with less noise and scattered waste material;D similarly a simple wood hand saw will do the job very well on a plastic craft.

It may not be law to wear a life jacket in a kayak or canoe...... unless of course you are under 12 then it most certainly is.

But it is required to carry one " Except in river, creek or stream or waters contained within breakwaters or revetments........IF the boat has positive floatation AND grab handles"

so if you have to carry one why not wear it.......not like you are over blessed with storage in a kayak.

don't forget you also should be carrying... suitable bailing equipment, an anchor with 18 meters of cable and drinking water.

cheers

where does it say that ??????

Tazmaniac
07-12-2008, 07:51 PM
The grinder won't be coming out, a chainsaw is much quicker ! No, seriously, everything is sorted. He has bought his kayak, and I bought him his PFD. He is not the strongest swimmer and he now agrees that it is not such a big deal. I realise that he is a big boy and needs to learn for himself, Phill, but if something were to happen, and we lost him because I didn't stick to my guns I would never forgive myself. Thanks for the opinions, though, that's what these forums are all about.
Cheers, Taz.

oldboot
07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
where does it say that ??????

I have just checked...I am wrong.........it says "registerable boats"

cheers

Brett1907
08-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I think in my case I won't have those problems, my kids are only 2 and 5 and already know that if they go out in ANY water craft they WILL wear their pfd's. They are both type 1 pfd's, my 2yo sons has a grab handle at the back too. My wife and I wear Type 3's (They have the floatation of a type 2 but not enough visibility fr the rating) with mine being a kayak specific design.

Brett

Tazmaniac
08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Brett, when mine were that age we had no problem with them wearing a PFD. Believe me, when they reach their teens it's a whole different ball game ! ! ! !

Brett1907
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Fair enough, I suppose things do change as we grow older. Just hope not too much.

Brett

Feral
25-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I usually either wear an inflateable, or chuck a blockie in the back well of the yak in small rivers or dams. I dont go offshore. A Blockie is pretty easy to grab and put on if you fall out and cant get back in.

JRJR
26-12-2008, 07:48 PM
So what was the outcome anyway?

greenie.77
27-12-2008, 07:30 AM
You have a boat, If he says no he isn't going to wear his jacket say:

'No worries!'

then when he heads out, put your boat in, and follow closely behind him and his mates and tell him 'as he is not wearing a life jacket, you are worried about him and thought you had better keep an eye on him....oh, or I have this Life jacket you could put on and I can go home then, you choose.'

Any time you catch him without his life jacket, drop him off to his next party with your life jacket on.

stevej
23-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I usually either wear an inflateable, or chuck a blockie in the back well of the yak in small rivers or dams. I dont go offshore. A Blockie is pretty easy to grab and put on if you fall out and cant get back in.

id say almost impossible to put a block jacket on properly if your in the water

best you could do would be hold onto it