PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the storm in a yak

BLOOEY
17-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Myself and geoff72 went for a yak yesterday arvo and managed to get caught in the big storm that came through. Lots of wind, rain lightning and hail. I pulled my yak up onto a bank dumped all my fishing gear and pulled the yak ontop of myself so as not to get pelted. Geoff stuck it out in his yak under a shrub with just a landing net to protect himself. Took a crappy pic of him from the cover of my yak. WILD STUFF. Ben

tunaticer
17-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Coulda been worse mate, coulda been a run to Peel Island when it hit you.

That airborne ice stings a tad don't it?

Jack.

wombie
17-11-2008, 06:35 PM
just watched it on the news Ben .better you than me but did you get any fish;D

cheers Paul

BLOOEY
17-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Tunaticer , is that what you wre doing? I dont think it got the bay that badly. But yep it definately could have been worse.
Wombie, No mate not even a hit. I think the bass knew something we did not.
Ben

breamnut
17-11-2008, 08:07 PM
wild stuff aye, we only got 1 tiny bass yesterday around the gc lakes before we got pelted by rain aswell.

Dirtysanchez
18-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow matey, bad buzz for you and your buddy.. now I know options were limited, but sitting under a tree when there is lightning around ? :o

I think pulling the yak up over yourself was probably the best bet.. people who take refuge under trees get zapped!

BLOOEY
18-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Dirty sanchez,As you say options are limited, It is either get under a smallish tree or Be the largest thing on a flat body of water with a couple of graphite lightning rods stuck in the air. But yep under the yak was the best thing i came up with. Ben

Duane Walker
19-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I was on my way back from Peel in the morning battling the wind and current took me 3.5 hours and I was worrying about the coming storm the whole time. Got in a good while before it hit fortunately

jim_bream
22-11-2008, 10:26 AM
That's one way of rechaging your sounder battery, just wire up one of the fishing rods to the battery and paddle about in the storm... MIGHT void the warranty but.... ;-)