PDA

View Full Version : First Mahi Mahi for the season minus a GPS!!!

seapup
17-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Went for a fish on saturday as weather looked awesome! Left 5am and crossed the bar to be met by nice conditons for a run to one of my wreck marks. We pulled up and caught a few fish then when I decided to head wider my GPS aerial s##t itself!!! Had to use the chart and compass to find my way to my marks. We got to the general ground and found a good show so anchored and burleyed. The Satay Chicken plastic accounted for most of the fish apart from the Mahi Mahi which was caught on a Pilly floater. Without the plastics we would have struggled as the fishing was quiet slow. Was good to get out on the water beats being at work!

Te Whiti
17-11-2008, 10:57 AM
A class act Seapup, Love the Mahi mahi for the table.

I have a Raymarine A65 and find it's pretty temperamental with the GPS at times, but my friends have similar compaints with other brands.

Hope it doesnt cost you too much to fix.

Lovely photos and great catch.

Mark

Gazza.Boyne
17-11-2008, 12:09 PM
A nice mixed bag there Seapup & conditions looked perfect.

Gazza

business class
17-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice Catch and well done on the Dollie. You did better then us as i headed out of Tweed Sat Morning and Chased Marlin And Dollies for 7 hours with out raising a scale. Trolled from 200m right into 50m of water. Water temp was also down from last week. Now just have to wait for next week end and hopefully there is more bait around and more fish. Once again nice catch.

Cheers
Matty

Pistol_P
17-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice Dollie Benny....Great looking fish they are.

I ate the one I got recently....they are good on the table.8-)

Pete

dayoo
17-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Nice fish and pics Benny.
I fished the northern Barwons on Saturday on "White Caps" a performance plate boat which is a smaller version of "Alexander". The current was roaring so all we could do was drift over the few small shows. The three of us only managed 10 fish the biggest of which was a 6kg snapper but we enjoyed the nice weather and the fast ride home.

Cheers
Barry

seapup
17-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Barry. I didnt head out wide as my GPS shut down so we just fished the first ledge with a good show I found on the sounder. I heard on the radio the current was roaring out wide. The fishing was definitely slow though. The pelagics should hopefully be here in numbers soon!
Cheers,
Benny.

Nice fish and pics Benny.
I fished the northern Barwons on Saturday on "White Caps" a performance plate boat which is a smaller version of "Alexander". The current was roaring so all we could do was drift over the few small shows. The three of us only managed 10 fish the biggest of which was a 6kg snapper but we enjoyed the nice weather and the fast ride home.

Cheers
Barry

bbss
17-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Benny. Good to see you managed to scrape together a feed. We had a troll for another couple of hours after we left you guys but didnt manage any more fish. Cheers Damien

reel scream
17-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice Dollie Benny. Hopefully a better year this than last (4 me anyway). Heard of a 30+kg Hoo caught on sat over the radio. Thought it was BuisnessClass? Would be a bloody great fish.

Cheers Scott

seapup
17-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Scott,
Any idea where the Hoo was caught? Keen for one of those this season!
Cheers,
Benny.

Nice Dollie Benny. Hopefully a better year this than last (4 me anyway). Heard of a 30+kg Hoo caught on sat over the radio. Thought it was BuisnessClass? Would be a bloody great fish.

Cheers Scott

vertico
17-11-2008, 04:30 PM
nice fish mate welldone for no gps
how was the current

Vindicator
17-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Well done Benny, love the colours on the dolly. Must have been the weekend for plotter failures. I was going to head to the hards on sunday morning only to leave the boat ramp and same thing aerial had sh!t itself and it didn't know where we were
Trolled around the blinker, out to Murphys and then over to Old Woman Island without turning a reel. Got home, washed the boat a few hours later and hey presto it works again. Left the boat outside to drain for an hour then put it back in the shed and tried the plotter again and its gone again. Bloody thing, it makes it worse when its intermittent 'cause you go to fix it and it'll work, you go to use it and it won't!

Cheers
Kezza

death_ship
17-11-2008, 04:57 PM
the hoo was big business out on the shelf

Frank OO
17-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Benny,

Great mix of fish but the Dollie takes the prize ( Even on bait).

I heard that "Big Business" caught a 28kg Wahoo east of Cape Moreton off the shelf.

Fran OO

skipalong
18-11-2008, 05:48 AM
nice fish benny,

Lacey Blue Dog
18-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Benny If only I had of come fishing with you boys as I have been putting all your Hards Marks into my GPS for years and its allways in my tacklebox..
Anyway I am heading to the corner probably this Thursday for the morning for a WAVE NW to NE 15 to 20

let me no if you have the time.......

Bluedog

nickstock
18-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Top dolly mate!

A bloke in Cairns caught a monster wahoo on the weekend but it got smashed by noah's.

It was one of the biggest wahoo I have ever seen in Oz. What was left of it went 25kgs!

Cheers

Nick Stock

seapup
18-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Me and pauly are heading to DI tomorrow for a surf early you should come? Bring your GPS as well you cheeky c##t. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Hi Benny If only I had of come fishing with you boys as I have been putting all your Hards Marks into my GPS for years and its allways in my tacklebox..
Anyway I am heading to the corner probably this Thursday for the morning for a WAVE NW to NE 15 to 20

let me no if you have the time.......

Bluedog

seapup
18-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks Sean. Current wasnt to bad where we were in 70 metres, i was using a 1 ounce jighead with my plastic outfit and it was getting to the bottom ok through the current. Wouldnt have wanted to go any lighter though. I heard current was roaring out wider in the deeper stuff.

nice fish mate welldone for no gps
how was the current

tunapikus
18-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice fish there seapup love the look of the dolly have to try get one off those one day how long does take u to get out to 70 metres of water

Pistol_P
18-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Nice fish there seapup love the look of the dolly have to try get one off those one day how long does take u to get out to 70 metres of water

You get em in close Rich...

I got a little fella at Chardons a couple of weeks back.

Pete

ffejsmada
18-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice work again Ben, another 1 or 2 Dollies would have been nice hey?

Cheers Jeff.

-spiro-
19-11-2008, 05:46 AM
nice work Benny ...wish we had the same conditions as you at the Banks. As Barry said the current was ripping and a bit jogly out there.

seapup
19-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Takes a long time Rich so I wouldnt bother mate!
Hay wheres my carton of Corona? I still havent forgotten ;D

tunapikus
19-11-2008, 04:07 PM
me and pete drank it didnt he invite u the bastard hey we have the box so ill give it to u so dont have to see u on tv anymore hey hey when u take me out for a fish ill bring the box

seapup
19-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I want it for friday as i am thirsty Rich. 8-)

me and pete drank it didnt he invite u the bastard hey we have the box so ill give it to u so dont have to see u on tv anymore hey hey when u take me out for a fish ill bring the box

seapup
19-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I was hoping some mates would have followed the Dollie in but they didnt. We had some plastics ready to throw on their noses!!! Anyway hopefully next time Jeff. :)

Nice work again Ben, another 1 or 2 Dollies would have been nice hey?

Cheers Jeff.

tunapikus
19-11-2008, 05:47 PM
ok seapup i will take it to petes place for a drink if the poor little bugger can keep up with a box of beer being in his fridge friday but i want another bet this year? u need to talk him in to it?

lido76
19-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Good fish Benny good to see you reporting again. Hows married life treating you? I am so keen for a fish its not funny. Bad time of year for me though Mrs wants stuff done yesterday and work getting busy. Maybe next week.
CHEERS LIDO......

seapup
20-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Richard:
why would i bet you Rich you dont even pay up at end of season? still waiting for my carton !!!

Lido
Married life is going well mate thanks! You coming up over Xmas? We should go out for a Mackeral session!

Cheers,
Benny.