PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of kayak transport?

Gorey1
10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone.
My brother just bought an Ocean Prowler 13 and I was thinking of doing the same. Just wondering about the transport.
Do you need a decent 4WD / SUV with racks or could a sedan do the job? I have an XR6 - ?roof strength etc. I think they weigh about 25kg.
Is it okay on the freeway (eg: M1)?
It would be interesting to know how you guys transport your yaks so I can think about how I could do it.
Thanks.

nezevic99
10-11-2008, 01:55 PM
We used to transport a 35kg Rosco canadian canoe on roof racks on top of a ford laser hatch. Also a holden viva. Just make sure you tie it down tight so it doesn't slide off. never had any problems driving from bris to noosa just had to do 90 clicks

Big bosco 1
10-11-2008, 02:36 PM
;D I use a small four cylinder stn wagon with standard roof racks to transport my viking fisherman 2 it wiegh,s 38 kg and is 4.3 mtrs long no probs at a 100k just don,t skimp on tiedowns buy good ones.

8-) Cheers Bosco

JRJR
10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
You have nothing to worry about as long as you have a decent set of roof racks and make sure you strap it down properly and use common sense whilst driving. ie don't drive at 160km/hr :)

I own a Prowler Elite.

oldboot
10-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Yacks and canoes are pretty aerodynamic and realy quite light.

I have done many thousands of KM of highway with long ladders on racks on all sorts of vehicles.......I recon a kack or canoe would present less load than an extension ladder.

I still have pictures of a 14 foot rosco canadian on a 70's honda civic from my days in scouts.........60 miles an hour all the way to Sommerset dam no problems.
There was no wyvenhoe then & I was in the car both ways.

cheers

StevenM
11-11-2008, 07:22 AM
No problems Gorey

Get a pair of roof racks, Thule/ Rino etc and strap twice over top of yak.

I dont use a bow or stern tiedown but know others that do.

Get a good pair of straps, SPT's etc, dont tie down tooooo tight.

All good

PS, yak sits upside down on the racks.

Gorey1
11-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the help.
Nice to know my car can handle the job. Now which kayak...

Just_chips
12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I use the Rhino Kayak cradles on my roof racks to carry my Viking Profish. They came with all tie downs etc and are easy to remove when not in use. Check the link below.

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Kayak---Canoe-Carriers_19.aspx

Cheers Kev

JRJR
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I use the Rhino Kayak cradles on my roof racks to carry my Viking Profish. They came with all tie downs etc and are easy to remove when not in use. Check the link below.

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Kayak---Canoe-Carriers_19.aspx

Cheers Kev

I tried the square wrap around clip type of Rhino rack Kayak cradle and all they did was slide/move and the cradles never stayed in the right spot. Also, I have broken the little nib things inside the cradle part that clips onto the wrap around clips whilst sliding the Kayak onto them. In the end I just gave up and I leave them off unless I am doing a long trip somewhere.

I reckon one would be better off just using pool noodles under your Kayak for support and then normal straps to hold the Kayak on. I wish I had never bought the cradles. In my opinion waste of money. However, the permanently attached Rhino cradles probably work just fine but doesn't suit me as I need to take them on and off.

They do have a good lifetime warranty but it is a headache when you want to make a claim I found out. (like most warranties I suppose. :) )

Ausfish
12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Just put the yak upside down on the roof racks. I bought the yak/canoe cradles and have never used them.

JACK_O
02-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Any suggestions on a ute with alloy canopy bars as in which way is the correct way on an OK prowler such as upside down etc and has anyone made any shaped blocks to sit the yak on?

StevenM
06-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Any suggestions on a ute with alloy canopy bars as in which way is the correct way on an OK prowler such as upside down etc and has anyone made any shaped blocks to sit the yak on?

Upside down mate, Front to the front. Attach a bow and stern line for safety due to the allow bars if they do not have any rubber top and are straight ally.