PDA

View Full Version : Kayak in NT or North Qld

prawn-star
30-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I just wondering if I paddling in NT or North Qld river, will I attacked by croc? I don't know much about croc, but I'm 100% sure that I will die if bitten by a big croc.

JRJR
30-10-2008, 05:18 AM
That's a fairly broad question. Do you mean just creeks and rivers or out in the ocean and how far North is North.
I would be game to try it in the creeks and river in the Far north of the NT.

STUIE63
30-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't think I would I have seen too many big crocs up here maybe in the fresh though
Stuie

ozbee
30-10-2008, 08:53 AM
most people don't know how to find crocs try going on dark with a spotlight those little orange eyes you see guess what hmmm also those yapping noises like chowwa dogs guess also. the main problems with canoeing in croc country is when you come round a bend and all the small previous crocs 6 feet or so disappear this is where the danger lies as a large territorial male lives and if he is in a bad mood your croc shit in a canoe .ive even had them have a go in my 12 ft tinny in Weipa.

ronnien
30-10-2008, 11:31 AM
while i have never herd of a croc attacking a kayak the real danger is there!
if you are paddling up a creek & there is a big croc be carefull he just might attack your yak thinking that you are another croc in his part of the creek, they get abit pissed about that!.

ron.

batten
30-10-2008, 05:11 PM
a mate of ours used to paddle up in north qld, he did it for ages, used to smakc the crocs on the nose if they came to close for comfort, 1 day he hit a croc with a scar on its nose, it crabbed the paddle, capsized the canoe he and his wife fell out, unfortunatelly for him only his wife made it back to shore, he was never seen again.

JRJR
30-10-2008, 05:47 PM
a mate of ours used to paddle up in north qld, he did it for ages, used to smakc the crocs on the nose if they came to close for comfort, 1 day he hit a croc with a scar on its nose, it crabbed the paddle, capsized the canoe he and his wife fell out, unfortunatelly for him only his wife made it back to shore, he was never seen again.

Have you got the link for the news article for that one?

oldboot
30-10-2008, 08:37 PM
There are a very few places that you might get away with a conoe or kayak..... blacks or alpins weir at townsville are problay OK.

but if it is salt and north of rocky you could almost guarantee crocks live there.
As I posted in a thread just like this a week or so ago..

There are crocks hundreds of kilometers inland right up in the fresh.

My big brother travels extensivly all over NQ and a bit into NT... (he fixes windmills).

He recons there are crocks right up in the burdikin even above the dam.

Now big brother realy likes to tell a story........ yeh.... but he carries a camera everywhere and has quite a few crock pictures and he remembers where and when.

To put it bluntly......I wouldn't.

cheers

borisdog
30-10-2008, 11:32 PM
There have been at least 2 attacks on canoes that I can recall ( Canoe/Kayak - take your pick)

1 in Lakefield N.P ( died ), and 1 in Kakadu ( Survived )

Oddly enough the lady attacked in Kakadu was killed by a snake several years later.

Small, low to the water craft and crocodiles do NOT mix.

Darryl

nickstock
31-10-2008, 05:38 AM
You would be mad to do it in any creek, river, lagoon that is open to salt water ( even if this is only in flood).

Nick

JRJR
31-10-2008, 05:51 AM
A lot of claims here but no links to actual stories. I'm sure that no more than 1 link can be found for one incident.

I used my Kayak in the Ocean around Hinchinbrook and I'm still here to tell the story plus a lot of people go ocean Kayaking all the time.

However, going up quiet creeks and rivers is another story, especially in breeding season.

disorderly
31-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Try this link.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article556411.ece

Unfortunately this obviously was just a mean croc.......as opposed to the "non-aggressive" one currently lurking around Magnetic Island :P.

ronnien
31-10-2008, 08:30 AM
just to the side of westpoint is a creek & in this little creek lays the trap baited with a big pig.... but no croc in it yet. have been plenty of times catching bait in this creek, off the bank. so if anyone is going over there for bait keep your eyes opened.

ron.

ronnien
31-10-2008, 12:57 PM
the croc over on maggie roams free no more, he has been caught. so they say on the radio.

ron.

Luc
31-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe after some more 'non agressive' training by the EPA he can be released again::)

He might even be so well trained that he'll pose for pictures;D ;D ;D

Luc

disorderly
31-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Dont know if its true or not, but I heard the EPA are planning to re-release him into the new green zones in Moreton bay . ;)

STUIE63
31-10-2008, 03:32 PM
LMAO Scott

borisdog
31-10-2008, 06:47 PM
JRJR, Just for you champ. This is the survivor

www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23316414-2,00.html (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23316414-2,00.html)

And this is the fatality

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/killing-suspect-crocodile-was-right/2005/08/18/1123958177177.html

Knock yourselves out people, don't let fear or good sense stand in your way.

There are multiple references to both incidents. Just look for Val Plumwood or Barry Jefferies on Google

In the local area around Townsville where I fish, say down to Ayr and up to Hinchinbrook it is rare for me to NOT see a crocodile on each and every trip I do. They vary from small to VERY big.

I have plenty of photo's of them.

Surely as Fishermen you people are familiar with the concept of live bait.

Taking risks is something we all do every day, some risks just have a lot less consequence than others. In my opinion something that has a very real chance of you getting dead is a bit high consequence for me but, as I said, knock yourselves out.

Out in the ocean is another story.

Darryl

Scott nthQld
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
After that attack on Barry Jefferies, the bigest and only part of him they found was his thigh bone, DNA testing with his daughter was needed to identify him.

I used to work with his daughter, understandably she was a mess for weeks.

ozbee
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
cant wait till one of there epa personal are gobbled up. there is no thing as a rogue croc only a hungry one. be a hard thing to think which has the biggest brain

robersl
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
those crocs will attack anything 'seen them go a 5 mt boat head on in n/t , have heard of them even trying to get over the transom of a dingy at night the a bloke was sleeping in and there was the tourist on the sth alligator in a netting boat ( i know they are supposed to be there his mate got a photo as a croc came out the water at him holding a fish was front page courier mail about march this year so no i would not paddle in croc country

shane