PDA

View Full Version : Grander Blue Marlin weighed in Australia

ooglie74
23-10-2008, 08:03 AM
A grander blue marlin was weighed in townsville this week here is the link to it.

http://www.blackmarlinfishingblog.com/

Cheers Troy

acehigh
23-10-2008, 08:10 AM
yeah its a good fish. Here is another link to the fish being weighed http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/10/23/18341_hpnews.html

Ultimate Gamefish
23-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I wonder if that will now be the first of many that get weighed that previously were released.

Congrats to Ultimate Lady, certainly a long way from home.

Wonder what it was caught on?

Matt

trueblue
23-10-2008, 07:39 PM
great fish, shame it got hit on the propeller and didn't survive.

Big effort to bring it in to the boat in the time that he did.

trueblue
23-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I wonder why they didn't weigh it on the land based crane to get an official weight?

leezor
23-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I wonder why they didn't weigh it on the land based crane to get an official weight?

Hey fellas, was down at the marina refuelling when "The Ultimate Lady" was weighing it in. Apparantly because the fish was injured by the prop it was unable to be officially weighed in, something to do with not being a fair contest.

Awesome boat, The Ultimate Lady is a 90 odd foot kiwi built wave piercer, when I win lotto a couple of times look out!!!

Cheers,

Lee

the lobster
23-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah read about it in the paper today. Apparently it was injured by the propeller as it approached the boat. They had planned to release it until then.

Don't quote me, but I've never seen a land based crane at the breakwater mariner. I assume that would be the only reason that it wasn't officially weighed in. Obviously there are cranes over at the port, but you wouldn't be allowed over there to weigh a fish.

So what would happen to a fish like that? Obviously it can't be eaten.

matt

Local_Guy
23-10-2008, 09:44 PM
he might not have an "official" record, but i'll give him my hat for THE BIGGEST MARLIN RECORD in Australia.

and i thought that when weighing a fish on a boat they take the lowest weight over a 6minute period.

Holy_Mackerel
24-10-2008, 08:54 AM
IGFA and GFAA rules state that if your fish gets injured by a propeller or shark etc it is ineligible for a record. For record claims you have to weigh on land, so since it was ineligible anyhow, wouldn't have been worth the trouble. Luckily that monster boat had a crane of it's own or we might never have known it's true weight.
Amazing catch!

Dave_H
24-10-2008, 12:39 PM
IGFA and GFAA rules state that if your fish gets injured by a propeller or shark etc it is ineligible for a record.

Not moving in those circles could I ask why this would be the case? Is it because if someone got a same species similar sized catch at a later date there might be an issue then?

Couldn't they just lob the removed chunk of flesh (if indeed they still had it) in the gob of the fish and still weigh it?

Regards,

Dave.

Noelm
24-10-2008, 01:30 PM
the theory being that the Fish may well have been alive and strong enough to get free, but the prop/shark whatever wounded/killed it and therfore it is not recognised as a gamefishing capture under the rules, but then again, if they really were going to release, why not release it anyway, got more chance to survive wounded than hanging up in Port I reckon!

kitty_cat
24-10-2008, 03:14 PM
it it a awsome boat and very professionally run they really know there stuff , check out any off there movies (called the ultimate lady ) they are worth every cent some off the best video footage ive ever seen

well done to the guys and look forward to seeing it on a video some day as the boat is fully equipped with video everywhere even under water

iam sure if they say they were going to release it they would have as these guys have caught hundreds even thousands of marlin before

good post dont see a fish that big very often

Ultimate Gamefish
26-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Local guy

It is not the bigeest marlin, plenty of bigger black marlin are released every year. It would have been the biggest blue marlin in Australia weighed given that a grander is yet to be weighed. There are certainly stories of those that have been released and those that have escaped to be sure that sooner or later, a legal grander blue will be weighed.

Matt