PDA

View Full Version : Action and Taper

flathead007
23-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I was wanting to make sure i have the right idea.

Action is the strength of the rod ie ultra light to heavy

Taper is the flexibiliy (the amount of bend) ultra fast to slow.

If that is not right fill me in, also where does a snaper rod (plastics) shallow water fit into that.

tunaticer
23-10-2008, 07:08 PM
The way I interpret these classifications is like this:

Action is how the rod bends when loaded. Basically a faster action has a faster taper usually (not all the time) and has less of the butt section that develops a bend. Slower actions bend all the way to the butt and are usually prefered for bait fishing whiting etc. Generally medium to fast actions are preferred for lure work or livebaiting esp off the rocks where reach can be an issue.

The strength of the rod is developed by 2 factors, the amount of medium be it fibreglass boron or graphite that is wrapped around the mandrel to make the rod. and secondly the speed of the taper. A faster taper will develop a stronger rod with less medium than a slower taper for the same length and amount of medium.
Strength is usually rated by line weights the rod is designed to fish with, although some rods are developed that are rated by casting wieght also, these could well be strong rods with a light tip or vice versa to obtain that casting optimum weight.

A typical 2-4kg 7' graphite snapper rod is generally classed as a medium to fast action in that weight category. you can also get a 2-4kg graphite rod that will be less comfortable or efficient to use that can be the same length and a softer or slower action or faster and harder action that will feel like a length of stainless steel to use.

There are also rods available off the shelf which use multiple tapers and strengths at different locations along the rod to confuse matters more.

Each strength rod can have multiple lengths or actions or tapers each tweaked to deliver something different generally for a specific application originally.

Clear as mud aye.

I would be much less concerned about how to categorise any rod and simply go by the feel of the rod in your hands and how you think that will fish like with the technique you want to use. Comfort using the rod is worth more than any price tag you can pay. There are a zillion rods out there that are very exy and not suited to what you may want to do with them.

Jack.

DR
23-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I have always considered action & taper to be one & the same..
fast action...fast taper..
to me, the strength is the line class or rating..1kg..2kg..3kg etc. some in tackle shops seem to make something simple quite complicated. :-/
It's like computers, they have invented a whole new language to justify why they are the experts & we're not. Usually just different words to replace the old ones we all know.diff tapers do different things when casting & fighting, i have a huge preference for fast taper, i hate a sloppy slow action rod, they are for worms & whiting..:P
it comes down to your own preferences..

tunaticer
23-10-2008, 08:42 PM
True DR to an extent, the current graphite rods for snapper behave like a fast action yet have diameter to length ratios more like a noodle rod tho.

Jack.

Horse
23-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Action is determined by the point where the blank stops deflecting under load. A fast action rod is one that only bends in the last 25% or so while a slow taper can bend back to the foregrip
The determinants of action include the cut of the shape of the glass or graphite material. This is the taper of the blank. The other factors are the modulus of the material. diameter at various points, the direction of the fibres as well as the resin characteristics

DR
23-10-2008, 10:33 PM
True DR to an extent, the current graphite rods for snapper behave like a fast action yet have diameter to length ratios more like a noodle rod tho.

Jack.
I haven't kept up with technology, gives me a bit of a headache, does that mean they are a slow taper with a fast action??

how have they done that??? from memory that can be achieved by making them with a heap more wraps in the butt to tip ratio?? & a heavier & stronger in the butt section blank.

which seems strange when the same can probably be achieved with less material & a faster taper..

sleepygreg
24-10-2008, 12:05 AM
PMSL...as a former rod builder....this is highly entertaining. The taper/action argument has been going on for the last thirty years to my knowledge. Blank technology, like all technology, is constantly evolving. It has now become so diversified that everyone is confused. Who would have thought, 10 years ago, that you could jig a 30cm knife jig in 100m using a rod and reel combo that looked like it could only be used for catching bream and flathead in the rivers. The choice is endless. Just go with your gut feel on how you want a blank to perform. I only use short stroker blanks on outside work.....because i am comfortable with how they perform. Though I am seriously thinking about that Egrell S10h.
Greg