PDA

View Full Version : data transfer GARMIN h'held to plotter

Jeremy
20-10-2008, 09:11 AM
have bought a Garmin chartplotter 2006C and now want to transfer my marks from my Garmin GPS 12 handheld. What is the cheapest and easiest way? I do not have any data cables or computer software for managing GPS data at present.

Thanks,
Jeremy

foxx510
20-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I use this really basic software to back up my Etrex data http://www.easygps.com/
Might be worth a look. There is also the Garmin Mapsource software, it may have even come with the new gps, otherwise you have to buy it.

I made up a cable for it myself, but you can find them on ebay at a reasonable price. Cheaper if you have an old computer with a com port as you don't need a usb converter.

bayfisher
20-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Garmin mapsource is a great program for storing points on you computer, it auto detects garmin devices and makes uploading, down loading and editing points, routes etc a breeze, you can also get a blue chart plugin for mapsource so all points are plotted on blue chart maps (if you look hard enough you might be able to find a free version of both of these on the net somewhere ;) ). You will of coarse also need a data cables, you can make one up following these
instructions are here (http://www8.garmin.com/specs/pcwiring.pdf) or buy one from somewhere like Johny Appleseed.

Cheers Chris

Horse
21-10-2008, 05:32 PM
As Chris said use the Garmin Mapsource. I use it with Bluecharts and it makes data transfer a breeze. I got my lead from Whitworths for about $25.00

onerabbit
23-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Without the apropriate leads makes it hard,

you may just have to do it the hard way, :hammer:

Muzz

Dignity
27-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I made up a cable for it myself, but you can find them on ebay at a reasonable price. Cheaper if you have an old computer with a com port as you don't need a usb converter.

I had the same trouble as my Laptop doesn't have a com port and when I bought my GPS72 it came with the cables for a com port and the stores charge far too much for anything other than standard cables. The alternative as onerabbit says is to "do it the hard way" I use Oziexplorer to chart my points and I manually entered all my data and it gave me a great opportunity to cull some marks that were very old or given to me and didn't work (probably used a different datum) and the opportunity to have a few nice reds while doing it other wise the managing director would complain I was spending too much time at the PC.