PDA

View Full Version : Help need information-Suzuki DF140 motor problem

BlackArrow
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I own a Suzuki DF140 manufactured November 2007 that has 52 hours work. I have a persistent problem with it and am wondering if anyone has had similar experience with the same motor.

On the linkage side of the motor there is a detent switch that is operated by the accelerator cable that has a cam on it which slides past the detent arm pressing it down onto the switch completing the circuit. On my motor the detent switch arm gets deformed and does not contact the switch, this causes the motor to either not start or if it starts limits the revs to 3000rpm. I have had 3 of these switches stuff up at 17, 45 and 52 hours.

My dealer keeps telling me that my motor is the only one it’s happening to; I find this hard to believe as the motor is operated normally.

I would like to hear from anyone who has the same problem.

I have attached photos of the offending part.

Regards

Blackarrow

Luke G
04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Had a 115 which is basicaly the same - after 370 hours I never had an issue. There are a few 140 around that I know of with 0 problems.

Cheers

dodgyone
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Few of the guides I know in the Territory are up to around the 3500 hour mark with no problems. Must be an underlying problem somewhere.

foxx510
05-10-2008, 06:50 AM
If it's an isolated case, some random suggestions are: It's being sprayed with an anti corrosive that is bad for the plastic, it's getting hot in that area for some reason, or bad batch of plastic parts.

BlackArrow
05-10-2008, 06:57 AM
The switch arm is metal and that's what gets deformed and does not press the actual switch button. Greased the last switch but the previous 2 had nothing.

foxx510
05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Ah ok, sorry, the photos are quite small so I couldn't actually see the part, and assumed it was plastic when you said it was being deformed. Could you post some larger photos?

BlackArrow
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Larger photos attached.

foxx510
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Still a bit hard to know why the switch actuator arm is bending without full sized pics of the cam setup that operates it.

honda900
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
BlackArrow,

I have a Nov 07, 140 engine and not had any issues with it appart from a squeaking noise (apparantly needs a bit of grease, next service), Mine has now done 72 hours since feb this year.

I have also been in contact with another guy down in newcastle who has a slightly earlier engine and he has not had any issues either.

Regards
HOnda.

frank100
06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
BlackArrow,
Mine is 2003 with 340hrs(there abouts) no problem as you describe. The only issue I have had is corrosion of the oil cooler.
By actuator arm I assume you mean the arm on the switch it self ? if so maybe there is something amiss with the cam that hits it. I have seen quite a few micro switch failures on door switches whis have usually been the result of misalignment or abuse.I ca'nt see how you could abuse this though so I am thinking a misalign ment issue.

Frank

cormorant
06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
If someone has the same model could they please post a photo showing their "normal "setup. I find that with my twin motors ( not 140's unfortunately) when I encounter something like this both cowls come off and you can quickly spot the difference. Have had cables routed differently causing sticking throttle and all sorts over the years have been solved quicker this way. . If you can get 2 similar motors next to each other and move the throttles through the rev range and see what is different it may help. If the cam and switch are in spec then maybe you have problem with the bush or actual casting which is causing and alignment problem.

Something is not right and throwing parts at it is not a suitable answer from a lazy workshop or motor manufacturer. They should be diagnosong the problem not just fixing the result. Very bad attitude.

mlaagtho
07-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I have the a simlar problem
Sometimes I cannot get the motor to rev higher than 3000 rpm . What I would do is stop , switch off the motor , restart the motor and all is OK
I am pulling the boat out of the water tonight , will check and let you know if i find anything wrong
i have the 2007 F140 with approx 120hours

honda900
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Cormorant,

Yep good idea on the photo, err ah would have one for you but the problem is hidden behind the lower cowling, that has to be removed to get at it.

Maybe mlaagtho might be able to get a photo, looks like he may have the same drama.

Regards
Honda.

foxx510
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
It's still hard to tell from the photos, but I wonder if the switch arm is going past the center line on the front side of the plastic cam that actuates the switch, and then being pushed out and bent instead of being pushed in. If this is the case, the angle on the switch actuator arm needs changing.

Edit: Is the switch in the last two photos where it is still on the outboard a busted one or a working one?

BlackArrow
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
My boat is at the dealers and I am starting to think that the switch might not be the whole problem. When the switch malfunctioned the 1st time the white plastic cam came off one end and swung out comletely flattening the switch arm. The motor would start but would not exceed 3000rpm. I was 150klms from home to start it and get it to operate properly I had to depress the lever with a long knife, then start and the motor operated normally until you stopped then out came the knife again to start and have it operate properly. When the gear shift lever is in neutral the switch is "live" when you go to fwd or reverse the swith is "dead". The last 2 switches have not been distorted and appeared to be opening and closing the circuit, but on the 2nd occasion it would not start at all, and this last time it would not exceed 300rpm. I'm starting to think that there is more to this than the switch and I have asked the mechanic to look elsewhere, I'll let you know what happens.
The switch in the photo is the last one and whilst I did not take it out because I did not want to disturb anything before they put the computer on it, it did appear to be opening and closing.

According to Suzuki Aust this switch has not changed in design for years and they have only replaced 2 which went on my motor. Every time they have replaced the switch the motor works OK for awhile (changed at 17,45 and 52hrs).

BlackArrow
07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Here is a link to the parts diagram, no 18 is the switch

http://store.brownspoint.com/df140/fig034-140-0207.asp (http://store.brownspoint.com/df140/fig034-140-0207.asp)

foxx510
07-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Every time they have replaced the switch the motor works OK for awhile (changed at 17,45 and 52hrs).

I don't know a lot about the engine management in those, but I wonder if they are resetting the ECU and that is clearing up the problem until an unrelated intermittent fault occurs again.

Good luck with it anyway.

BlackArrow
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone I'll let you know what happens.

BlackArrow
17-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Well the dealer had my motor for a week and they tested on and off the water and could not get the damn thing to fault, yet when I loaded it on the trailer it did not have enough power to push on. They pulled the fuel system apart looking for foreign matter, they have replaced all filters even the one on the HP pump. All detent switches tested OK. Spark plugs were tested and replaced. Compression tests and computer analysis found nothing.
I have to say the dealer mechanic has done the right thing and was through in what he done.
Fingers crossed after all that they migh have changed something that develops an intermittant fault.

mlaagtho
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi BlackArrow
Any more updates on the problem
i am taking mine to the dealer tommorrow to get checked out
Will let you know what they find
Mike

BlackArrow
02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi mlaagtho,
No nothing further, I have completed a 450klm trip without problem, so I am hoping in all the things they replaced they have accidently cured the problem.

mlaagtho
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
picked mine up today
They changed the plugs and they found a corroded terminal in the wiring harness on one of the motors. They did not find anything bad I will keep you posted if it re occurs

business class
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Touch wood, however we have just passed over 560hrs on a 05/06 model 140 and had no problems!!!!!!! except one which was fixed bye removing a berley bucket and using a flat head screw driver:-[ .

Cheers
Matty