PDA

View Full Version : Crap Charter - Gold Coast

Braddles
28-09-2008, 10:00 PM
It had been about 8 weeks since the boys and I from work had been out... so we called our regular charter company - only to find they were fully booked due to lead up to Indy Carnival.

Tried a couple of others that people had referred me to - but again, all booked up.

Then a mate had some "luck" (retrospectively - a misfortune) of finding a charter that could take the 8 of us.

Now we normally pay $170 each and get very well looked after on Seaprobe.... and they boys use their expert knowledge and work bloody hard to put us onto some fish...

This charter was $200.00 - but promised "an aussie BBQ Breakfast and a gourmet BBQ Lunch"...

I should have known to PULL OUT when we headed down the end of the peer at Marina Mirage to a massive boat - with "WHALE WATCHING" across the flybridge. The boat was massive - and so was the crowd lined up to get on!

SO finally - all 25 or so of us pile on and the boat is fired up. It was more like grandstand seating at the footy than a charter boat.

I note the sign on the fridge had been turned into some type of home made vending machine that said "ALL DRINKS ARE $2 - correct change only" - which kind of confused me for a $200.00 a head "all inclusive fishing charter".... I thought then maybe it had beer in it... and assured myself non - alcoholic beverages would be included.

Off we go out through the seaway, and just as I could no longer see the people putting worms on their hooks on the sand pumping jetty, (OK I exagerate - maybe 200m "off shore" )- we start doing figure of 8's and told we were going to have a try...

I started laughing thinking it was a joke....... and it was...

They brought out some bait jigs, and said we would catch some livies... Now there were only 6 bait jig rigs for no less than 25 people, so we were told "to all have a turn and share the jigs around.....

Content to let the few younger fella's to have fun with it we decided to join the line up for the BBQ breaky. I was granted a 1/2 slice of the fattiest bacon I have ever seen, "warmed" to a soggy mess, on a piece of bread, with a bit of egg white in a bit of bread.... We donated ours to the empty burly pot and most followed suit.

We stuffed around for an hour - but I was at least comforted by the fact we had 7 hours left, and a decent number of livies....

We headed out to the 32's and I was excited at the thought of sending one of them livies down....

We pull up... and we are told they cant get the drift right, so we all have to fish the port side and stern of the vessel - ALL 25. Now I am not exagerating when I say it was bloody shoulder to shoulder....

After I had been involved in dozens of tangles, I started loosing patience... as they two deckies start fishing.....

My group and I ask if we can head up to the bow which was a sizeable area - and after some persuading - we were set up on the front deck to ourselves while the other 15 or so struggle with continued tangles...

2 hours later, and not a fish in the boat... The pilchard halfs were so sloppy you couldnt get them to stay on the hooks and the "squid" like leather - it was dried out so much, we were told to soak it in water to "bring it back"...

I asked again about the livies - and was told we were "keeping them for the king fish out at the 50's"...

So finally with no legal fish on board and 11am - we start the engines to head to the 50's. The conditions were amazing - the sea was glassed out, the wind was just detectable, and the sun was shining.

After about 5 mins of slow going (were sat on the bow still) I signal to the deckie to ask why we were going so slow - as we would be taking hours to get to the 50's. He tells me we are trolling some skirts for marlin...

I asked how many marlin they had caught this season... "None" was the reply...

So a boat load of 25 bored, pissed off, cramped people sat while they trolled 2 skirts at a painfully slow pace for another hour to the 50's.

Its now close to 1pm - and we arrive at the 50's. We are told we will be having a bucket of livies brought up the front for us... so I start to get excited....

THEN.... .... *breathe*

The livies come up - DEAD! We had wasted an hour in the morning catching "livies" - only for the twits to fillet them and give them to us to use as you would a pilchard half!

We were like WTF? We were told "There are too many people on board to use live bait as they will swim around and create even more tangles, so at least we have fresh bait now"..

200/head charter! "A bonus" we get to catch bait thats fresh enough to use - on our PAID time??? What a crock of shite! We were so annoyed - and we could even hear sniggers from down the back.....

Then we were yelled out to from the aft deck that "lunch was served".... Its now 1pm. STILL NO KEEPER FISH!!!!!

The gourmet BBQ lunch was the only thing going to save this thing.... and for $200/head and the word gourmet had us thinking prawns on the BBQ, or at least some decent meat.....

What was it?

Another slice of bread... this time with with al la potato salad - you could either spread on your bread or cop the spooned dollop onto your single, single ply napkin.... then there was a nugget (and I use nugget to imply something the size that would come out of a foxterrier's butt) of steak.... and then before you could so no thanks - the whole lot was drowned in tomato sauce!

That was thier gourmet lunch... and When we were as thirsty and dry as a chip - but said we didnt bring the 2 x $1 coins to operate the "fridge" as we thought drinks would have been included as they are on most charters, we were told we would have to wait for them to empty the machine of coins, and then they could cash our notes.

Its now almost 2 and the first fish comes about. A snapper... Now if it was 35cm there must have been 5 kg of traction on his tale when they measured it... as when I seen it post docking - it was more like low 30's.

At some stage another two fish came on board....... and we finished the charter with 3 fish between 25 people.

We did'nt hang around for our share of the scales......

Just goes to show - more expensive is certainly not better...

And if your ever invited on a $200.00/head charter out of southport (Marina Mirage) that promises a gourmet lunch - run for the hills.

Mark-P
29-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the headsup mate, sorry but i laughed my ass off !!
Cheers, Mark

reel scream
29-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Thats a bloody discrace Braddles. Cant say i've heard of any worst than that mate. Cutting up the livie's!!! F Me.

Sounds like they might have been useless at finding the thousands of wales so opted to try fishing. Easier to find those jumping out the water than to consistently get fish. Wonder whats next?- River cruises with gourmet vegimite sandwiches and fairy bread.

Cheers Scott.

Cammy
29-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Mate im giving you a thanks because you took all that crap lol, seriously though that is so dodgy! i couldnt beleive what i was reading! some of it was funny -

"Another slice of bread... this time with with al la potato salad - you could either spread on your bread or cop the spooned dollop onto your single, single ply napkin.... then there was a nugget (and I use nugget to imply something the size that would come out of a foxterrier's butt) of steak.... " Hahaha

Cam

TimiBoy
29-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Are you going to approach them for a refund?

I'd certainly be tempted, at least for the sake of having the opportunity to tell them what a farce it was.

I'd also be very interested (if I were you) in having a discussion with the owners of the boat, to see if they are aware of what's going on. They may be very grateful!

IMO of course...

Cheers,

Tim

Nic
29-09-2008, 07:00 AM
MY GOD and here's me thinking I had been on some bad charters! I guess it goes to show you shouldn't go on any charter that hasn't been personally recommended by a mate, or at least by another Ausfisher. You poor bugger. :( Funny report though!

fish-n-dive
29-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Even though you had a sh**t day you can take comfort in the fact that you tell a great story...........;)

MarkLong
29-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Was that on Saturday mate, I remember having a chuckle on my way in seeing a boat near near the seaway with about 25 people on it. Shoulder to shoulder.

keenfishr
29-09-2008, 12:09 PM
shocking...dont mean to be a mongrel...but i had a few laughs when reading that....appreciate the heads up tho.cheers trav

SummerTrance
29-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Mate I think you owe it to other ausfishers to name and shame this makeshift charter operator, so none of us ever make the same unfortunate mistake.

jarhead
29-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Nic's on the money, i thought we'd been on a sh#$y charter out of mooloolaba a couple of years back. 12 of us at 170 a head and lunch was jatz with small cubes of cheese and kabana, atleast we got a few fish though, your's definately takes the cake!

Cheers Wal

Braddles
29-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys,

Yeah I am glad you all got a few laughs... WHen I was laying in bed thinking about it I just started laughing to myself at what a shonky deal it was.... Not one part of the charter was professional.

It was so disgraceful it was funny. In the end we just decided to not be angry - and laugh.

TimiBoy - I never really thought about enquiring about a refund...... I should write a letter though... I dont like our chances. One of the ladies in our group, put it in perspective. For 8 of us at $1600 - we could have stayed in a flash room or 4 at the sheraton and had a seafood buffet and still had change lol!

Mark Long; Hahaha - that would have been us for sure mate. Came in through the seaway about 2:45. Big white thing with "WHALE WATCHING" plastered over the fly bridge front.

A few of the blokes on the boat were having a go at the deckies and skipper as we were docking, but the deckies were both in their 50's and told how they were employed as holiday workers while travelling around Australia earlier this year, and liked the gold coast and stayed. Its not their fault - they are just earining a living - but their employer should never have employed them for a premium fishing charter without deckhand experience and local knowledge.

Oh and I am still VERY dirty about killing our livies "as livies swim around and create tangles".... WANKERS!

The skipper was arogant and very defensive when I asked him why there were no other charter boats where ever he took us, so I decided not to engage further...

He told us he heard on the radio none of the other boats had done any good, but when we docked beside the little blue "Gone fishing" charter - they had a pile of fish to clean sitting on the pier.

I am a little bit wary of mentioning the charter name... not sure what Ausfish's stance is on this - but I have told Luck Phil (mod)...

It must be the only massive white boat at Marina Mirage right next to the helipad that charges $200/head, promises a BBQ breaky and gourmet lunch and cathces no fish.

I will be for ever more greatful of the service Seaprobe give us!

Bully1
29-09-2008, 01:57 PM
That was piss funny!! You just made me realise that the shitty day I am having today isnt so bad after all! Thanks Mate!!

Jackinthebox
29-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I saw that boat coming in at about 2.45pm and never thought they were doing a fishing charter. What a bunch of clowns. I think they are trying to diversify now since Seaworld came in and started doing whale watch tours.

Feel sorry for ya mate, Seaprobe have always been up there on my list when people ask what charter should we go on. And in my current line of work, I do get a few enquiries.

Deckies fishing is a big no no and nothing gives me the shits more. Some boats pull this sort of crap because most charter customers are newbies or unfamiliar with what is required from a proper charter operation.

"1800 WHALES" is that their ph. number Braddles?;)

Cheers,
Mick

wilcara
29-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Man that is a great story, thanks for sharing your misfortune for our amusement.

In fact it was so bad that I am surprised I was not on it - glad somebody else is getting the raw deal for a change!!!

Seriously, I have only done a handful of charters and usually have a good time, but have done two up your way and they were both absolute cr@p; real tourist rip offs, I am sad to say.

Yours still takes teh cake for me tho.

dogsbody
29-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Thats piss poor mate. Send the owner the link to this thread so he can see the great advertising he's getting. Ask for your money back,, if he says no then name and shame.

Dave.

bluefin59
29-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the so called charter gav will be laughing his head of next time you go out with him ,i go with SEA PROBE every R.D.O and have never had a bad day . It would probably be worth your while to ring him well in advance and get a booking when you can it would be well worth the wait as you probably know and thanks for sharing so no one of here gets caught in such a blatent rip off . I know you dont get gourmet lunches with SEA PROBE but you are sure to get some fishing done i know i get my share lots of luck next time......... matt

Chamelion
29-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Jesus, that's really terrible. Reminds me of a private charter I went on back in around Christmas 1995 or 1996..

We were aboard a 6-7m boat (4 of us + skipper and his wife the deckie).. Went out from Hervey Bay and fished randomly near Fraser for the day... I should add that the dude was running over an hour late from the get go, which turned into nearly two hours late by time we dropped our first lines in...

Anyway, where was I?... Whilst we were on our way out we were notifed that he only had two life jacket on board and should the boat begin to sink his wife would get a jacket and the remaining 5 of us would draw straws, including me, barely a teenager.

We threw our lines in time and time again and all we managed for the day was a few little pink fish, one reasonable trevally and my personal catch was a single bloody squid.

Upon returning he had a whinge about the ammount of fuel we burned, courtesy of him deciding to change spots so often, and proceeded to ask us for more money to cover it... He got told where to go. :P

If memory serves, we didn't eat either... Arrg.

The only other trip I've been on was with this mob - http://fishthedeep.com.au/welcome/

They were excellent... Very professional and we pulled in plenty of fish, as per the pic. Was only $150 at the time too, now $20 more.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~music2/img/haul.jpg

Matt.

mik01
29-09-2008, 05:57 PM
well that gave the Mrs and I a good laugh - sorry!
thanks for the heads up - unfortunately some people have to go through that to warn others.

karma will repay you mate. hope your next charter is kick arse

Blackened
29-09-2008, 06:24 PM
G'day

Damn good story..... I used tio work as deckhand out of a fleet of charter boats at marina mirage................ it was nowhere near as professional as my previous deckies job on a pair of noosa cats from scarborough

A deckhand fishing I was taught was pure sacrelige, and angry customers wouldn't be tolerated, we had to keep them happy at all times, and rightly so.

What i'm saying is, what you went on, by your words was not a fishing chater, it was a scenic tour.

Maybe you should write a letter to the owner, in his right mind he hasnt any idea of whats really going on.

It'll only cost you 50 cents

Dave

Braddles
29-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Matt;

I am jealous of your ability to venture out on Seaprobe at that frequency!

As you said - you dont get gourmet lunches - but who cares hey - thats not what were there for - but worthy of a comment - the ham and salad roll lovingly packed by Gav's Mum and the nibbles are just great.

Moreover - I have never had a bad day fishing on that boat... Its getting an old boat and it probably is "no frills" by some standards, - but they really are one of the better charters on the coast in terms of bang for your bucks. I hope to get out again in the next month again....

I just wish Gav's brother (who I understand now works in construction - forget his name) still did the deckie role, as the new(ish) guy isnt quiet as good - but still leave this circus of a charter I had on Saturday for dead.

Fish the deep is another quality charter that keeps coming up...... they must be good too - I have heard many positives.

Anyway - glad to hear everyone's feed back - Sometimes I start to wonder if I expected too much - but then I am hastly reminded with everyone's feedback really how shonky it was lol.

Take care,

Brad.

Sorry to hear about the so called charter gav will be laughing his head of next time you go out with him ,i go with SEA PROBE every R.D.O and have never had a bad day . It would probably be worth your while to ring him well in advance and get a booking when you can it would be well worth the wait as you probably know and thanks for sharing so no one of here gets caught in such a blatent rip off . I know you dont get gourmet lunches with SEA PROBE but you are sure to get some fishing done i know i get my share lots of luck next time......... matt

Ryan.S
29-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Mate, i read the title of this post expecting to here a bloody winger! but seriously mate, it sounds like you were ripped big time! i would have been spewin! Cheers for the heads up Braddles. What a mob of greedy Priks ay!!!

TOLGA
30-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Chad he's a good bloke.

Fishbait
30-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Very unforntunate Braddles. Karma will get those who rip off others I reckon. Good luck with your next Charter anyway - I feel sorry for you and your mates on this occassion though. Cheers mate, Darren.

Braddles
30-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Just a quick update,

Followed the advise of a couple of posters re/- contacting the charter company to outline, objectively what went on and why we thought it was such terrible charter and over priced for what is given

Their response :

"Thanks for your email. We will take your feedback on board, regards Ann"

Seems not only their charter is inadequate.

moorie86
30-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Time to name and shame. Then when business slowly starts dropping off they might listen. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Sorry to hear of your unpleasnt experience.

Cheers, Cam.

cptpott
01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I must agree with Cam Braddles,
Word of mouth is a powerful thing and you are well within your rights to give a heads up to other fishers.
Which charter was it?
Cheers
Craig

nautical prince
02-10-2008, 07:38 AM
exploit those money hungry bastard's that was a disgrace to the whole industry that is why all charter operators get a bad name but thanks for the laugh mate good report

Local_Guy
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
853 people have viewed this thread since it was first posted.

please name this operator so the rest of us don't make the mistake and venture out on this boat.

wilcara
02-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Brad you sure aren't wingeing, it was shonky tourist ripoff 100%. Its sad that these guys get away with what they do for so long.

As you pointed out, it is not what they provide or don't provide that matters; it is in not providing what they said they would.

If you don't provide lunch, then who cares? You can grab a salad roll on your way. If they say they provide a goumet lunch, then it better be a freakin gourmet lunch or I'll stick it up their @ss.

If its a fishing charter and there are too many on board to fish, then maybe the crew need to go over the side.

black_sheep
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
We stopped going on charters for that very reason. If you find a good one, stick with it.

Your story is an absolute crack-up mate - good to see that you can laugh about it. I know I did.

benandjack
02-10-2008, 06:51 PM
i can only remenber not so long ago that you BRADDLES where having a SOOK about sea probe. I was on sea probe with a mate this day that you where aborad and then later read a post that you put on offshore reports, once again having a SOOK about how we caught livies then headed out to the 50s for so king action. Myself and my mate where jigging off the front of the boat catching so good size kings on our own jigging outfits which we brought aboard ourselves, and the guys down the back where sending down lives with good results, and you where having a sook about how planed the day was and the 2 guys jigging knew all about the day leaving you in the dark and to use LIVE livies and still manage to catch fish, and you bagged the deckie on how he was running the back of the deck, i think he is a top deckie and on the times i have been out ( maybe 15 times ) he has worked hard all day with results of good catchs for the customers, but thats only the 15 or so times i have been out with sea probe, MATE I THINK YOU BETTER RE READ YOUR POST ABOUT SEA PROBE THAT YOU POSTED A FEW MONTHS BACK AND MAKE SO CHANGES. All i can see is that your cry baby when you dont get your own way, mybe you should buy a boat and do it all yourself, bet you would not get a feed

OldManRiver
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
What a bunch of grubs

Braddles
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi BenandJack;

i can only remenber not so long ago that you BRADDLES where having a SOOK about sea probe.

Using the term sook is rather antagonistic I feel. Grow up luvvy.

I was on sea probe with a mate this day that you where aborad and then later read a post that you put on offshore reports, once again having a SOOK

Please learn to spell rather than attempt to knock my integrity.

about how we caught livies then headed out to the 50s for so king action. Myself and my mate where jigging off the front of the boat catching so good size kings on our own jigging outfits which we brought aboard ourselves, and the guys down the back where sending down lives with good results, and you where having a sook about how planed the day was and the 2 guys jigging knew all about the day leaving you in the dark and to use LIVE livies and still manage to catch fish, and you bagged the deckie on how he was running the back of the deck,

I have used Seaprobe approx 10 times in 5 years. Traditionally, I have been very satisfied with their level of service. I enjoy they are a family run business and work very hard to put you on the fish, travelling a lot of distance, where many other charters hang in close to conserve fuel.

I have NEVER EVER Fished on Seaprobe however when someone was fishing up on the bow / front deck of the boat... so it wasnt me on your charter mate.

The incident you may be referring to - and you were not on it, was regarding the deckie's performance. This was not the normal deckie we had before, and although he was a pleasant fella, his attention to customer service, in our opinion was not to the same standard. People seem to forget we are paying $170 for a service. If your not getting that service..... you have a right to complain. Its not about catching fish or not catching fish. The conerns were related to:

1. The deckie was fishing himself, while people in our group who were new to fishing had to bait up, remove hooks etc themselves

2. The deckie would return to the fly bridge and lay down between spots. Then when we would arive at new drift would come down to attend to the lines etc before we could fish. On the way home, the deckie (from past trips) would clean the catch etc. This time, he went up stairs and layed down on the fly bridge, and the cleaning etc was done once we docked......

3. We had the majority of numbers on the charter, yet were never consulted / explained on the style of fishing to be undertaken. We went on the pretense it was a bottom bashing reef fishing charter and when two people on that charter, who were not related or mates with each other (so makes me thing it was not you at all) brought along jigs = were using jigs, and this seemed to be the predominant fishing style for a significant time during the charter. One of these chaps was older and had grey hair and didnt speak to us at all. The other younger guy was lovely and rigged a jig up on our line and let us use his own rod which was loaded with braid line from memory. Again - not supporting your story it was you and your mate.

i think he is a top deckie and on the times i have been out ( maybe 15 times ) he has worked hard all day with results of good catchs for the customers, but thats only the 15 or so times i have been out with sea probe,

I dont think the deckie has much to do with good catches, and regardless, it is about the level of service, not about just what is caught or not caught.

MATE I THINK YOU BETTER RE READ YOUR POST ABOUT SEA PROBE THAT YOU POSTED A FEW MONTHS BACK AND MAKE SO CHANGES.

Why? "so changes" - you mean some changes? No - I think not. What I desribed was factual and moreover is my opinion of the unfoldings of the day. Thats why this is called a chat forum. If you would like to discuss it further, I invite you to PM me and I will give you my phone number to discuss it like a man.

All i can see is that your cry baby when you dont get your own way, mybe you should buy a boat and do it all yourself, bet you would not get a feed

Cry Baby? Wow... your so harsh! Claws in please!

How would you feel, if you had a group of 7 mates, and I rocked up with a big skirted lure, and all the gear for that - and you thought you were bottom bashing / reef fishing... We then spent a large section of the day trolling around for hours - while your bored shitless, because I, the minority, liked to do trolling.....

I suspect by the way you attacked my post - you lack total insight into that.

I hope the mods close this post.

Always one ###### that wrecks it for everyone!

Brad.

Lucky_Phill
03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Thread has been closed and the operator in question will respond to this in good time.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I have recieved a response from the operator.

This thread will now be opened for a little while.

Please reply only if you have something positive to offer and please do not get personal. Although the reply from the Operator gets a little that way, they are not a member of Ausfish. I will not edit their email.

email posted by permission:-

We are disappointed that brad did not catch any fish on his trip , but he was misinformed about his Full day Fishing charter and has said some untruths which I have detail below trying to answers his questions in blue.

This is what we offer to our all our customers.

HALF DAY FISHINGOff Shore Reef Fishing Departs 6.00am
$150.00 per person
6 HOURS of early morning fishing.
Cooked BBQ Breakfast, Tea or coffee .
All quality bait and tackle provided.
Keep your catch, we will clean, ice and bag your fish for you.

FULL DAY FISHING Game and Reef Fishing Departs 6.00am

$200.00 per person
9 HOURS of fishing.
Cooked BBQ Breakfast, Tea or Coffee.
All quality bait and tackle supplied.

Also Aussie BBQ lunch provided or we can cook your own fresh caught fish.

Keep your catch, we will clean, ice and bag your fish for you.

First of all let me say that if you wanted to complain about the service you go directly to the boat owner first not put it on a fish forum and whine about us then email us.

This is our full day charter:
FULL DAY FISHING Game and Reef Fishing Departs 6.00am
·$200.00 per person
·9 HOURS of fishing.
·Cooked BBQ Breakfast, Tea or Coffee.
·All quality bait and tackle supplied.
·Also Aussie BBQ lunch provided or we can cook your own fresh caught fish.
·Keep your catch, we will clean, ice and bag your fish for you.
It had been about 8 weeks since the boys and I from work had been out... so we called our regular charter company - only to find they were fully booked due to lead up to Indy Carnival.
Tried a couple of others that people had referred me to - but again, all booked up.
Then a mate had some "luck" (retrospectively - a misfortune) of finding a charter that could take the 8 of us.

Now we normally pay $170 each (to go out on a 10.5m boat licensed for 10 people) and get very well looked after on Seaprobe.... and they boys use their expert knowledge and work bloody hard to put us onto some fish...
That’s not what you said (Complaining and Whined) on ausfish in July this year about sea probe deckie etc.

This charter was $200.00 - but promised "an aussie BBQ Breakfast and a gourmet BBQ Lunch"...
YES THE CHARTER IS $200.00
WHERE DID YOU GET GOURMET BBQ LUNCH FROM, WHO TOLD YOU IT WAS A GOURMET LUNCH? WE DON’T DO GOURMET LUNCHES WE DO A BBQ LUNCH. SO Really NO ONE PROMISED YOU A GOURMET LUNCH.
You must have made that up along the way with a lot of other stuff that you talked about.
WE OFFER A BBQ LUNCH OF STEAK, CHICKEN, ONIONS AND SALAD ON BREAD.

I should have known to PULL OUT when we headed down the end of the peer at Marina Mirage to a massive boat - with "WHALE WATCHING" across the flybridge.
You

How did you see the whale watching sign when you boarded the boat from the stern? When you went up the to the bow of the boat and looked up at the flybridge you would have seen the WHALE WATCHING SIGN again another lie.
WHAT HAS THE “WHALE WATCHING SIGN” ON THE BOAT GOT TO DO WITH YOUR DAY OUT FISHING? Did it put you off your fishing?

The boat was massive - and so was the crowd lined up to get on!
The boat is massive it is a 60ft/18mt Cat in survey 1C for 50 people.

SO finally - all 25 or so of us pile on and the boat is fired up. It was more like grandstand seating at the footy than a charter boat.

We had 22 people on board that day (again you are making this story up another lie).
Are our chairs not comfortable enough for you? Did you have a problem with the chairs?
What has the seating got to do with the fishing?

I note the sign on the fridge had been turned into some type of home made vending machine that said "ALL DRINKS ARE $2 - correct change only" - which kind of confused me for a $200.00 a head "all inclusive fishing charter".... I thought then maybe it had beer in it... and assured myself non - alcoholic beverages would be included.

What do you mean home made vending machine what is your problem are you just whining again because you had to paid $2.00 for can of coke?
Honestly you really are just complaining for the sake of complaining.
Where did you get “all Inclusive fishing charter” again you are making this up as you go along no wonder you are getting confused.
The vending machine is there for the customers if they required a can of coke or solo. You forgot to mention in your story that coffee and tea are available all day long and we have cold water and ice on board as well.
But you didn’t know that did you because you assumed that you were on a premium fishing charter because you had to pay $200.00 and you thought that everything was inclusive. Next time get your facts right before you complain.

Off we go out through the seaway, and just as I could no longer see the people putting worms on their hooks on the sand pumping jetty, (OK I exagerate - maybe 200m "off shore" )- we start doing figure of 8's and told we were going to have a try...
I started laughing thinking it was a joke....... and it was...
They brought out some bait jigs, and said we would catch some livies... Now there were only 6 bait jig rigs for no less than 25 people, so we were told "to all have a turn and share the jigs around.....
We only use 8 bait jig rods.

Content to let the few younger fella's to have fun with it we decided to join the line up for the BBQ breaky. I was granted a 1/2 slice of the fattiest bacon I have ever seen, "warmed" to a soggy mess, on a piece of bread, with a bit of egg white in a bit of bread.... We donated ours to the empty burly pot and most followed suit.
You could of gone back to the cook and ask for another piece of bacon if you were not happy with the one you got. Why do you whine after the fact when you could have gone back five times if you had wanted to.

We stuffed around for an hour - but I was at least comforted by the fact we had 7 hours left, and a decent number of livies....
We headed out to the 32's and I was excited at the thought of sending one of them livies down....
Once again you are wrong (our fisherman/navigator), as we were at the 40’s not the 32’s.

We pull up... and we are told they cant get the drift right, so we all have to fish the port side and stern of the vessel - ALL 25. Now I am not exagerating when I say it was bloody shoulder to shoulder....
Well yes you are exaggerating again because there were 22 people on board that day.
Yes that’s right because of the bottom current on that day we work one side of the vessel, stern and bow.

After I had been involved in dozens of tangles, I started loosing patience... as they two deckies start fishing.....
The reason the deckies start fishing was to show the customers how to fish. When you are on a Shared Charter it means you share the charter.

My group and I ask if we can head up to the bow which was a sizeable area - and after some persuading - we were set up on the front deck to ourselves while the other 15 or so struggle with continued tangles...
Plenty of room down the back NOW.

2 hours later, and not a fish in the boat... The pilchard halfs were so sloppy you couldnt get them to stay on the hooks and the "squid" like leather - it was dried out so much, we were told to soak it in water to "bring it back"...
I asked again about the livies - and was told we were "keeping them for the king fish out at the 50's"...
So finally with no legal fish on board and 11am - we start the engines to head to the 50's. The conditions were amazing - the sea was glassed out, the wind was just detectable, and the sun was shining.
All the bait was fresh out of the freezer that morning.

After about 5 mins of slow going (were sat on the bow still) I signal to the deckie to ask why we were going so slow - as we would be taking hours to get to the 50's. He tells me we are trolling some skirts for marlin...
I asked how many marlin they had caught this season... "None" was the reply...
So a boat load of 25 bored, pissed off, cramped people sat while they trolled 2 skirts at a painfully slow pace for another hour to the 50's.
This time of year we troll between the reefs mainly for pelagic such as tuna.
If we had raised a TUNA or another game fish, I wonder if you would have complain so much as we were trying to do the best for the customers. It may not have been your way but it is a shared charter after all.
There were only 15 people on the deck sitting very comfortably not cramped as you said (lying once again) enjoying the day.
Its now close to 1pm - and we arrive at the 50's. We are told we will be having a bucket of livies brought up the front for us... so I start to get excited....
THEN.... .... *breathe*
The livies come up - DEAD! We had wasted an hour in the morning catching "livies" - only for the twits to fillet them and give them to us to use as you would a pilchard half!
This was done for every one. I sorry you did not catch any fish that day but you do have days like this.

We were like WTF? We were told "There are too many people on board to use live bait as they will swim around and create even more tangles, so at least we have fresh bait now".
Experienced as you are, you would have realise that “lives: would not have worked on the bottom that day because of the bottom current. This is true if you have livies swimming around the boat you will get more tangles is this want you wanted?

200/head charter! "A bonus" we get to catch bait thats fresh enough to use - on our PAID time??? What a crock of shite! We were so annoyed - and we could even hear sniggers from down the back.....
Most Charter boats catch live bait. (Have you also got super hearing?)

Then we were yelled out to from the aft deck that "lunch was served".... Its now 1pm. STILL NO KEEPER FISH!!!!!
Seriously did you want someone to tap you on the shoulder and say LUNCH IS SERVED you are on a boat not in a restaurant?

The gourmet BBQ lunch was the only thing going to save this thing.... and for $200/head and the word gourmet had us thinking prawns on the BBQ, or at least some decent meat.....
WHERE DID YOU GET GOURMET BBQ LUNCH? You have made that up along the way with a lot of other stuff that you have talked about.
WE OFFER A BBQ LUNCH OF STEAK, CHICKEN, ONIONS AND SALAD ON BREAD, coffee, tea or cold water
What was it?
Another slice of bread... this time with with al la potato salad - you could either spread on your bread or cop the spooned dollop onto your single, single ply napkin.... then there was a nugget (and I use nugget to imply something the size that would come out of a foxterrier's butt) of steak.... and then before you could so no thanks - the whole lot was drowned in tomato sauce!
Who put the tomato sauce on for you; normally you would do it your self?
You could have had a loaf of bread if you wanted to. All you want to do is complain.
You are out of sea not sitting in a restaurant. Why do you need two-ply napkins? Why would you mention this?

That was thier gourmet lunch... and When we were as thirsty and dry as a chip - but said we didnt bring the 2 x $1 coins to operate the "fridge" as we thought drinks would have been included as they are on most charters, we were told we would have to wait for them to empty the machine of coins, and then they could cash our notes.
Are you just whining again because you had to paid $2.00 for can of coke?
No one would have told you that. Change is always available from the skipper.

Its now almost 2 and the first fish comes about. A snapper... Now if it was 35cm there must have been 5 kg of traction on his tale when they measured it... as when I seen it post docking - it was more like low 30's.
At some stage another two fish came on board....... and we finished the charter with 3 fish between 25 people.
My god you are not even happy when someone catches a fish. When do say anything nice?
You forgot to mention in you story that we had heaps of throwbacks.

We did'nt hang around for our share of the scales...... Just goes to show - more expensive is certainly not better...
And if your ever invited on a $200.00/head charter out of southport (Marina Mirage) that promises a gourmet lunch - run for the hills.
Wrong again you are at the wrong marina we are located at Mariners Cove Marina.

In conclusion, we hope we have provided some answers to these exaggerated allegations from one of your members.
We could keep going on & on but we’ve got to go fishing.
Next time your member should try beach fishing in some secluded spot that he can have all to himself or buy his own boat.

Kind regards

Dennis
OUT THERE CHARTERS
www.outtherecharters.com.au

Ps: We cordially invite any members of Ausfish to join us at any time with a 10% discount.

ffejsmada
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Phil, very interesting.

Good to have both sides of the story for a change.

Even with both sides of the story given, someone is telling fibs:-X :-X

Wonder who that would be???:-/

Cheers.

blue_mako
06-10-2008, 01:13 PM
There is pages of reading about a disasterous charter on another brisbane website with this same mob, I heard they got a refund and went again and caught heaps so everyone has there off days.

Troy

Greg P
06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Always 3 sides ::)

but on a more important subject - Phil can you get him to send some more details on the Gold Coast Bikini Fishing charters :o:P:P:P8-)

mmmm boob cruises ROFL

Braddles - maybe you should have went on that one - then it would not really matter about the no fish etc 8-)

coraltrout68
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Came through twice (sorry).

coraltrout68
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I had a disappointing charter off Port Douglas not so long ago.

Disappointing in that we didn't catch many fish. Thats not to say there wasn't fish to be caught. I've been to Barra parks and not caught fish (we all know there's fish in the ponds - getting these fish to bite is something different again).

I wasn't disappointed with the crew they where very helpful (lunch was good) and the skipper tried lots of different spots on the day.

We had about 20 people on the boat, 3 didn't fish at all because they where seasick most of the day - included a boy aged 10 to 12 years old.

I have been on charters previously, but not for 7/8 years.

What I had forgotten was that fishing with so many people is difficult.

Up north the norm is a handline and a sinker that runs down to the hook. I was the only one that day that brought my own rod and reel and I got the feel that half the people had never or rarely fished.

I spent a good portion of the day tangled up with other people's lines and it is very frustrating. At the end of the day there are a lot of lines bring dropped into a very small fishing area. It was quite a windy day and as we swang on the anchor, tangles became the fact of life.

I didn't have the option to try much on the day (as in trying a floater, lighter sinker or live bait) as I knew it would just result in more tangles.

Would I do another charter if I was up north again - of course I would. I just love fishing too much.

I have my own boat that I use a home and a father in law with a bigger boat when we go away or fish offshore. You just can't beat the fact that when you are in you own boat you can get 3, 4 or 5 rods in the water all using different baits, baits on the bottom, floaters etc. You can go where you want, don't have to worry about others etc.

Maybe we just need to expect a great day on the water (enjoy the breeze, the views, happy to be alive) and don't judge success on how many fish we get, as we will be disappointed more often than not.

P.S. For all the dad's out there, it was great to see a Father and son (daughter) on the charter that I went out on, but to see the boy so sick for so long was very sad to see. I would love to take my 10 year old out but too, but after seeing that I wouldn't (he has been out on my boat and his grandfather's and not been sick - but there's no coming in on a charter / not with 18 other paying clients on board).

Shane

wilcara
06-10-2008, 02:17 PM
WOW that response from the business owner is interesting!

Somebody should tell them, it does not matter what you do in business, or think you do, but if at the end of the day the customer is not happy then you have NOT done it RIGHT!

True, you can't please everybody all the time. What sets some business apart is the WAY THEY DEAL with dissatisfied clients; preferebly not by ATTACKING them. What a disgraceful and nitpicking response from the business in question.

They did not defend themself; they SHOT themselves in my opinion.

Thanks to Ausfish for showing that response. One to avoid.

TimiBoy
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Wilcara, I tend to agree. As a Business owner, I was shocked at the response, seemed to me the original complaint had maybe hit a raw nerve or two. As the Great Poet said;

"Methinks thou dost protest too much!"

And, by the way, is that your picture in your avatar? You are too scary by half!!!;D

Cheers,

Tim

dogsbody
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
It did appear from Braddles posts that this charter outfit was an unprofessional one. But what confirmed it for me was the completely tactless and childlike response from the actual owner. At no time did Braddles actually name and shame the outfit despite various requests from Ausfish members to do so. No, the name and shaming was done by the owner all on his own.

Dave.

wilcara
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Dogsbody - great point! Yo da man!!!

Its infantile, "he's a liar coz it was 22 not 25... " or whatever crap it was.

Timiboy, thanks mate but that's my dear old mum.

Scott nthQld
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I've held off commenting until now, but I too see the charter as something to avoid if I ever get down that way. Like others have said, by simply attacking Braddles in his comments and not addressing any of the alleged issues has given me the insight that he's a typical business person who uses it as a tax write off, and not worried about any future business or repeat clients to make a living.

I too have been on my share of charters and only one was a disappointment fishwise anyway, everything else was great, and the skipper and crew worked very hard to try and put us onto fish, it just wasn't our day. But hey thats fishing. There was a great feed put on, and even a licensed bar, with reasonably priced bevvies available. A bonus was, that even though we didn't boat many keepers, the crew pulled out some frozen fillets at the end of the charter for us to take home, but other greedy patrons took mare than they needed and we missed out, but it was well thought of by us that the offer was there. Even though we didn't get onto many fish, I'd still use that operator again.

craigie
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Simple solution guys, if your not happy with the operator, give them the flick !

Personally, I don't think you get value for money from any of the Gold Coast offshore charters. More a "Tourist" fishing trip/day on the water !

I went out with one of them a few years ago, $150 for the day, didn't catch a fish and didn't take home a fish (although it was supposed to be a share trip). "Cattle Car" with 20 + fishing , no thanks never again !!!

Still go on charters but not to such heavily fished areas. Plenty of good ones within 1- 3 hours from brisbane (John Gooding, SEQ Charters, Various Rainbow Beach operators). Best bet is to do the extended trip for a few days out of Hervey Bay, 1770 or Central QLD.

Cheers
Craigie.

bluefin59
06-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Well a very average reply by a so called charter operator ,sounds more like a cattle truck to me, some of his pedantic answers to braddles complaints certainly dont cut the mustard as far as i am concerned . His attack on braddles for his small mistakes in his dialogue certainly dont warrant his crap responce, maybe a day on one of the many real charter boats that line the mariner may help him supply the sort of fishing experience that most fishermen and women are after maybe this operator should advertise as a tourist drive with some fishing thrown in if you are lucky. As far as braddles complaining about the probe boys if i remember correctly it was nothing to do with the boat ,or there ability to put you on to fish it was not a charter related issue it was an availability issue ,which happens at times .I would rate SEA PROBE as one of the best operaters with great catch rates over the last 15yr as far as i know i use them every R.D.O and will be out with them again next monday . If you want a fair priced [$175 ] fishing charter that has food and throws in water, softdrinks , and reasonable bait give SEA PROBE a call on0400312330 these guys are experienced in many versions of fishing placcies .jigging , live baiting, trolling for billies in actual fact any sort of fishing . Anyway braddles a losson learnt here i would say and this company can shove their 10% discount as it is way too expensive for what appears to be an average experience maybe they need a P.R person to teach them how to smooth things over and make people see they are trying , NEVER MIND ...matt

wilcara
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I think it sad that people like this are attracted to and survive in places like the Gold Coast where every client is on their first visit, if not the last. There is a seemingly endless stream of tourists to shovel through the boat by an operator that would never survive anywhere else.

He reminds me of that old phrase about being "better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I'd like to say to him, "Mate, next time you get a customer complaint, and there will be plenty, do yourself a favour and shut-up."

disorderly
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I think it sad that people like this are attracted to and survive in places like the Gold Coast where every client is on their first visit, if not the last. There is a seemingly endless stream of tourists to shovel through the boat by an operator that would never survive anywhere else.

Quite possibly why the term "tourist trap" was coined.

wilcara
06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm trying to be nice! I'm sure that a lot of good people live and work honestly on the Gold Coast; and surely a lot of good businesse people there that would be horrified by the response of the operator in this thread.

The charters I went on were cr@p too but I obviously chose poorly.... None of the people on it were returning customers.... I would like to do a good one and I'm sure there are plenty. Not this guy though, that's for sure batman.

tassie
07-10-2008, 08:54 AM
C,mon Braddles we havn't heard from you in a while;) ...................

richos
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
If i ever decide to go on a charter, it certainly will not be with this mob
thanks for the heads up

Local_Guy
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Greg P makes a good point.... there are 3 sides to the story. yours , the operator and the truth.

You can't blame the operator from coming across blunt if Braddles came on here complaining before putting something in writing to the operator of the business. But there was no need for the operator to come across blaintantly calling Braddles a lier. that was not needed.

THe operator did not act very professional in his response, but he does make some good points. There were a few of your mates and then 20 other people. THe operator isn't going to do everything you want to do when you want it, he has to try and do the right thing for the 25 people on board.

The operators reply to you sounds like he is just very pi$$ed off with you for starting a threat not telling of all the events and not contacting him first. You can't blame him for that. he has to defend his business.

Whether or not it said Gormet bbq lunch or bbq lunch, did your friends tell you that, or was it in a brochure of theirs. The operator cold be right on this too. you may have been misinformed or misinterpereted information given to you and it's like chinese whispers. 1 thing leads to another and before you know it the purple monkey made an appearance.

You had a bad experience, learn from it and don't go on this charter again from your experience. Stay with the charter groups who you know and only go on a charter with your mates. This was a shared charter not your little group session.

and if the food really was that bad. why didn't yo go back for more if there was more to have.

The last thing i will say is if the operator wasn't on the boat that day then he can only backup his side of the story that his staff have told him. He will see logs i'm sure he knows whats happening on his boat if things aren't up to scratch.

Whether everyone else had a good time or not, you clearly went on this charter with too high expectations and misconceptions of the day and going off what your mates said, you should have done your own homework. You didn't have a good time, just leave it at that.

I'm sure the truth falls somewhere between your side of the story and the operators. He shouldn't have acted so unprofessionally in his reply, but you can clearly see where he is coming from.

my 2c to this. i'm not taking anyone's side. just stating my opinion.

wilcara
07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Geez there's some corkers in that reply, what a **wit.

You could of gone back to the cook and ask for another piece of bacon if you were not happy with the one you got.

The reason the deckies start fishing was to show the customers how to fish. When you are on a Shared Charter it means you share the charter.

Plenty of room down the back NOW

My favourite: All the bait was fresh out of the freezer that morning.

Seriously did you want someone to tap you on the shoulder and say LUNCH IS SERVED you are on a boat not in a restaurant?

Are you just whining again because you had to paid $2.00 for can of coke?

You are out of sea not sitting in a restaurant. Why do you need two-ply napkins? Why would you mention this?

Oh boy oh boy, like a John Cleese sketch. Whining again. Sorry I can't leave this alone... I was in business for years and a consultant for a while... I never saw anything as bad as this..... Braddles this is a classic, thank you so much.

Braddles remember next time, if you go for the massive ten percent discount offered, take a coin for a drink or ask the skipper for a cup of tea. I'm sure he won't mind - say "Dennis sent you."

If you are still hungry after the barbecue you can ask for another slice of bacon. Dennis says!

And remember the fresh bait in the freezer!!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

:LMAO: :LMAO:

FISHAWN
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Well said local guy.
Braddles I can't understand why you didn't research the charter yourself before paying $200.
Heck if i was going to pay that much money i'd have a quick look on the net or at least ask what kind of boat it is.
You really cant expect to good a fishin trip on a bloody big whale watching boat.

Local_Guy
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
wilcara, there were so many points from both parties in the reply to the e-mail but i don't think ausfish has the bandwidth for me to go into each specific one. LOL.

you said it nicely in your post though.. LOL...

nigelr
07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
So, is there a lack of fair dinkum fishing charters, that offer what yer average Ausfisher would call value for ones' hard-earned on the Goldie?
Cheers.

Local_Guy
07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
i would think more than 50% of the price you pay to go out is for fuel especially on those big rigs.

needless to say if you want a good charter, go on one where you and your mates are the only people on the boat

wilcara
07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I went on one that I thought was crap... mostly because they caught so many fish and killed everything, gave everyone this bag of fish whether they wanted any or not. I'm sure most went in the bin anyway.

Just the same, the crew worked real hard and there was a bin of ice and free drinks.... it was good by comparison except for the slaughter.

I don't think one would find too many like the outfit we are laughing about here. Chevy Chase could do it justice with a National Fish Charter movie maybe.

Anyway does anybody want to name a decent operation for my diary?

TimiBoy
07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Smithy is on my list. He was on IFish the other day, and I've heard from other sources too that he's the go. He's an Ausfisher as well, goes by that name. Small, effective charter from what I've heard. 2-3 people, reasonable cost.

I will be coming for you soon, Smithy!

Cheers,

Tim

disorderly
07-10-2008, 07:48 PM
So, is there a lack of fair dinkum fishing charters, that offer what yer average Ausfisher would call value for ones' hard-earned on the Goldie?
Cheers.

Like nigel..I'm somewhat in the dark as well when it comes to these charters as well...

By going out on a charter from the gold coast on a big boat with a whole bunch of other line tanglers, would an experienced ausfisher actually think they were going to have a day worthy of photographic captures...:-/....???

BTW it was a very funny story ;D and the rebuttal was very amateurish to say the least...not surprising that the service was the same...:P

But my skepticism remains...what sort of bag would one expect off the inshore Gold coast from a big cat with 25 fishers on board (sorrryy..make that 22..::)) ????

Scott

disorderly
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Smithy is on my list. He was on IFish the other day, and I've heard from other sources too that he's the go. He's an Ausfisher as well, goes by that name. Small, effective charter from what I've heard. 2-3 people, reasonable cost.

I will be coming for you soon, Smithy!

Cheers,

Tim

Yeah tim saw the Ifish episode as well....apparently Smithy is now Paul's "new best friend "...

He put them onto the fish and you cant get better advertising then that..well done Smithy...top effort.

OldManRiver
07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
As far as I'am concerned, 22 is a ridiculous number of people to take on a 9 hour charter out of a place with as much fishing pressure as the Gold Coast. If this clown thinks he is offering value for money then were in trouble. Even charters to Swains don't take that many for a week's fishing. RIPOFF.

Cheers Phil

Black_Rat
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I'll put this out there at the risk of getting told where to go ! ;D (and not directed towards anyone that has replied, just my view on things ;) )

I've been on around 20 day charters from the Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast with about 10 different operators over the years and can honestly say that i'd only go back to 2 operators. Having owned a boat and have mates on board it is hard to raise a scale and keep them satisfied. It would be a hard job running a charter giving the way fishing is "Hit & Miss"

I guess fishing charters and going to a new restaurant are similar :-/ You go there with high expectations expecting the best for what you have outlaid. Some of those expections (allbeit minor) don't get meet and all of a sudden there is someone demanding a new meal (or the manager). ;D ;D ;D

As has been previously said if the service isn't up to scratch then go elsewhere.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing :o

TimiBoy
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I guess fishing charters and going to a new restaurant are similar :-/ You go there with high expectations expecting the best for what you have outlaid. Some of those expections (allbeit minor) don't get meet and all of a sudden there is someone demanding a new meal (or the manager). ;D ;D ;D

New show coming - Hell's Charter with Gordon Ramsey? Little Gordon maybe?

Sounds fun... ;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

wilcara
07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Crikey I'd love to see Gordon Ramsay do a show on this mob!!!!

"WELL YA F$%&IN" CALL THAT F$%^%&*IN" BACON MY F$%^^&&IN" PATHETIC ARSE!!! WADDYA F$%^IN" MEN NO F$%IN" SERVIETTES for f%$K sake ya f$67in" tosser!!!!"

:laola::laola:

"FRESH F$%67IN" FROM THE F%$67IN FREEZER!????"

:chef::o

rollie
08-10-2008, 12:15 PM
mate thanks for the great laugh, i pissed myself.

Sorry about the bad bad time you guys had.

Thanks for the story.
Rollie

craigie
08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Black Rat,

Who were the 2 good charters ?

Will save me weeding through the truck load that don't deliver (I don't just mean lots of fish either).

The best ones I've been on are as follows - Mono was excellent down at Brunswick heads. Small group, live baits for everyone. Even slow days produced quality fish !
Half day charters out of the Tweed are good value around $100 ? Always took home a feed and had a good time. Troll for pelagics between fishing locations.
SEQ charters with Smithy, never stops trying and gets results, live bait, game fishing with a small group !
John Gooding, exceptional ! Small group again, superb boat. Live bait, troll. Qualty fish !! Hard to get a booking but worth the wait !!!
"Keely Rose" or "Baitrunner" out of Rainbow beach, worth the drive and you will catch quality fish !! Both boats fish up to 10 people.
In my opinion forget the"Cattle Car" style charter unless you just want a day on the water, too many people !!!

Craigie.

There you go, pick one of them !

Nic
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree, small operators are a safer bet. The alternative, i.e. fishing shoulder-to-shoulder with a stack of people who don't know what they're doing, can be pretty painful. I think big charters are more suited to people who don't normally wet a line.

With regard to customer service in general, if a business owner is faced with a customer whose expectations were not met, surely the best course of action is to apologise and ask the customer how he thinks the service could be improved? And in future I would be very explicit about the services provided, so potential customers don't have to fill in the gaps with assumptions.

That's just me though...

bluefin59
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
The thing i have found with charters is that unless you hire the whole boat and make it a mates only thing it becomes a bit of a lottery as far as expectations go . I am lucky that every R.D.O my mate organises a mixed charter with other construction workers and others to make up the numbers but GAV from SEA PROBE always puts us on fish, as which makes for a good day as we have a repore with him . There are other good operators as well ,blokes like ross Mc cubin has a great rep as well and i am sure there are many others who do well ,the problem with most of the charters stems from so many holiday makers looking for a one off experience so you end up with 10 or so punters just out to fill in the day . If you want a charter to do something specific you need to hire the boat for the day and fill it wiyh fisherpeople who like to fish a particular style and have clearly spoken to the company about what you as a group want to do ,if you do what braddles did and just jump on and expect what you have had with other companies i believe you are kidding your self . I also used to use another company 6-8 yr ago on the goldie that has a fairly average name for itself but when me and my mate went on for our R.D.O charter we always had a great day because we had a repore with that particular bloke ,it might not be wright but thats how it goes . Book the whole boat or have a regular thing with a particular operater and your days will be much better but having said that sometimes no matter what bad days fishing happen no matter WHO they are ...matt

Black_Rat
08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Black Rat,

Who were the 2 good charters ?

Will save me weeding through the truck load that don't deliver (I don't just mean lots of fish either).

The best ones I've been on are as follows - Mono was excellent down at Brunswick heads. Small group, live baits for everyone. Even slow days produced quality fish !
Half day charters out of the Tweed are good value around $100 ? Always took home a feed and had a good time. Troll for pelagics between fishing locations.
SEQ charters with Smithy, never stops trying and gets results, live bait, game fishing with a small group !
John Gooding, exceptional ! Small group again, superb boat. Live bait, troll. Qualty fish !! Hard to get a booking but worth the wait !!!
"Keely Rose" or "Baitrunner" out of Rainbow beach, worth the drive and you will catch quality fish !! Both boats fish up to 10 people.
In my opinion forget the"Cattle Car" style charter unless you just want a day on the water, too many people !!!

Craigie.

There you go, pick one of them !

Fishing Offshore Noosa - Trekka 1 and Trekka 2. I believe they can now go much further of DI for the extended trips. On our last 2 trips in 2007 & 2008 always done well.

Nitro - with John Paloma, had 2 trips out 1 with good numbers of fish and the other one a couple of keepers. Would go back because you could clearly see John was trying everything to get you a feed.

Braddles
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry for my delayed final comment - I have been busy studying for up and coming medical school exams which start next week..... so I have been scarse on the forum of late

Firstly - thanks to the moderator for handling this so well. If I had a business and someone defamed it - I would want a chance at a response. There is always two sides to every story (and some say 3, mine, theirs, and the mid ground truth)... This was facilitated independant of me, by Ausfish moderator, and posted here.

I will say - WHAT A CHILDISH RESPONSE! I think his response as someone said in the pages above, was one of panic and I am happy this response, although lengthier than my personal response from the company, was just as inadequate as mine, and very unprofessional. For the record, I did email the company and I recieved a one liner from "Ann" - which stated " Thank you for your feedback, we will take it onboard". That was it! So I fail to see what relevance my posting here of the disasterous experience prior to contacting them would have done? I guess the truth hurts.

Which brings me to my next point. OK - I got the roll call wrong, there were 22 fisherman, not 25 as I quoted.... My bad.... I think the charter missed the point here though... its not the academics of being able to count 22 (or 25) passangers, its the fact that they can not provide a level of service for this number of persons, on this day.

I am first to admit my account was perhaps written with emotion and lacked objectivity at times. But I wanted to make it fun... It was never meant to be a professional letter of constructive criticism. WHat my letter was though, is a fair account of what was offered, and what happened that day.

A couple asked why did I go fishing on a boat like that in the first place? I am a bloody idiot primarily - but when it comes to fishing - I am like a kid in a toy shop. Its so hard to coordinate days off together with my mates and still staff the unit we work in safely. On our rostered day off which we all coordinated (we can only do 6 weeks in advance of the date max due to rostering) - our normal charter company was booked - and so deciding to wait another 6 weeks, or go fishinging on that day? Being keen fishos - we jumped at the chance!

If I can save one person from paying 200.00 to go on this crap charter - I will be happy.

As for his response - I have copied it and posted it in the unit we work in so the other crew I was with can read it - and its really getting some hackles up. So much so, once exams are finished, and time is again on our side, We vow to collate our few pics of the day, showing over crowded, shoulder to shoulder fishing, the massive tangles, the standard of food hygiene (black finger nails preparing "food" etc), and an then there is the sexual harrassment to **** *****, a female nurse that was in our group, the professional skipper communicating about his passengers to other vessels on the two way, in our ear shot, about the hot bitch on the front deck with nice tities" and it went on thoughout the day... we are going to take this to the charter fishing association and one of the wives is a lawyer with a large firm in the CBD, who has offered to assisting us to prepare affidavits of the event for consideration of taking on the matter.

This ###### is NOT going to get away with this. And a simple "We are really sorry" would have been all it would have taken to remedy the situation, and perhaps the ausfish mod to close the "case" (chat)...

Regards,

Brad.

(Edited to remove the nurses name at 10:40pm)

Braddles
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
There is pages of reading about a disasterous charter on another brisbane website with this same mob, I heard they got a refund and went again and caught heaps so everyone has there off days.

Troy

hey mate - could you PM me the link, or even email me this link to bradleywilliams@bigpond.com as I would like to collect as much info about this mob as I can. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brad.

greenleader
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
i just read all 5 pages in one sitting.

phew. :o

as a small business owner myself, i have only one thing to say.

"the customer is always right"

(unless you happen to be an old telecom operator) ;D

PinHead
09-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Have never been on a charter but have to try and find one for 3 staff members..this could be an epic on its own just trying to find someone decent..and no cattle class..want the boat to themselves.

Braddles..why would you even bother wasting time with a lawyer...just let it go and put it down to experience...sounds likes it was actually $200 well spent just for the laughs.

Braddles
09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Have never been on a charter but have to try and find one for 3 staff members..this could be an epic on its own just trying to find someone decent..and no cattle class..want the boat to themselves.

Braddles..why would you even bother wasting time with a lawyer...just let it go and put it down to experience...sounds likes it was actually $200 well spent just for the laughs.

Hey Pin Head...

The fact that I posted here a recount of a dodgie charter, and then the tosser named and shamed himself in an aggressive childish response is probably enough for most people to decided to take him up on his generous discount offer or not....

But..... one of my colleagues who was on the charter that day is married to a natzi feminist (and I meant that as a term of endearment R. lol) who is a partner in a law firm in the CBD..... and wants to take it on, free of charge, for the sexual harrassment and arrogance and incompetence that was displayed in his attempt at a letter.

Thanks everyone for your comments / posts etc.. Hope you enjoyed the read (novel) and in the process saved even just one of you wasting your hard earned mulla.

I am off to hit the books for a while so will be scarse again for the next week or so... (unless procrastination gets the better of me).

regards,

Brad.

wilcara
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey Brad good luck with the legals and good luck with the studies.

I have been forced to say "Sorry" once or twice when I really wasn't terribly sorry at all, and still think I was right or justified. We move on, or some of us do. Is it not absolutely amazing how much money some people/companies will throw at legals to avoid that simple word?

Mtx
09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
he has $1600 in his pocket to spend on legals :)

TimiBoy
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
But..... one of my colleagues who was on the charter that day is married to a natzi feminist (and I meant that as a term of endearment R. lol) who is a partner in a law firm in the CBD..... and wants to take it on, free of charge, for the sexual harrassment and arrogance and incompetence that was displayed in his attempt at a letter.

While I respect the right of any person to take legal action, IMO in a case like this, it shouldn't happen. Our Society is becoming increasingly litigious (sueing a lot!) and this is bringing us closer to being the 53rd state of the USA. The attitude of "I'll sue at the drop of a hat" is leading to increasing costs to Business, and it is slowing down our courts.

Not to mention it is justifying the oft held view that Lawyers are blood sucking ratbags. In my experience a lot of them are not - there are several in my family, including my Dad, who I respect highly. They are not Litigation Lawyers, though!

The only people who win in this situation are the Lawyers. Leave it. The Operator will get his, because he won't survive; it will be a direct result of his attitude that he fails, too.

All IMHO of course!

Tim

cormorant
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
he has $1600 in his pocket to spend on legals :)

No mate get it right I guess it seems he may have spent $22 buying the food , $2 in gas , $10 bucks on bait , wages $ 200 and $200 on fuel. Nearly forgot to add back the $40 profit from the drinks fridge. ;D ;D :o :o ::) ::)

He might have a few buck but a lawyer will take him to the cleaners if he was silly enough and just imagie the publicity in the local papers

Cheers and thanks for the top read and regardless it has made us all think about how to select a charter operator and to get a first hand reference from other Ausfishers

Lucky_Phill
10-10-2008, 09:31 AM
The thread is now closed for comment.

Hope there is a good ending to this saga.

Also hope that I have done the right thing :-/

Cheers Phill ( from the Agnes Water / 1770 Meet & Greet on a windy day ) >:(