PDA

View Full Version : The Big Trip Montes over

RAGINGBULL
28-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi All

Well the Bi annual trip to Montes is over
Montes is roughly 50km north of the Whitsundays between Airley beach and Bowen, the resort is on the mainland 40 min from Proserpine and is bordered by Glouchester and Shag Island for a safe anchorage
there are many islands close glouchester 1km Ratray 13km , Middle 13km, Holbourne at 38km and the reef 75km away
Arrived the 13th after a 1200km trip, it can be done in 1 day
2 boats, team Bull and Team Tegan
Myself my son and 4 mates
Day one launched at 12pm conditions close to perfect,
to get to know the area we trolled the local inshore reefs and banks just off the Resort approx 2km away, we were getting nothing trolling lures but the other boat was getting hook-up after hookup right next to us Queenies, Trevally Dog and spotty mackeral and some up stoppables, all in 2 hours at midday.
That evening after not getting a bump we re-assessed the situation, was it troll speed, motor sound, depth, steel trace, type of lure, the next morning we would see again??????????.
the next morning we had the same thing and the speed was increase 1 fish then nothing, we had checked Gregs lure and he was using a gold halco pro laser with a black back 7m deep diver we were running xraps and any other deep diver, red and white, green, pilchard, Purple and got nothing, we shot back for breaky and the entire collection came out with us, mike had a Killa barra lure 21 foot goldish with Black Back down it went with immediate results.
Damn i dont have one.
Off to Proserpine on Sunday and the tackle shop has just closed, "im getting deperate".
I try a gold bomber and have limited success with a few nice size Dog mackeral
We head off around Glouchester and drop 2 nice spanish on the XRAPS near the top, mmmm maybe they work out here in the deep, then nothing more
Gregs Gold Halco has accounded for Spanish Mackeral queenies and many other fish 90% i would say and team bull is getting worried

Next day off to Proserpine and we fing a gold killa lure and a gold and green back Halco 7m woohoo the gold and green back caught nothing , nix nudder " strange is it not that the lure can be so similar yet catch nothing" nothing could compare to the now re-nounded GOLDEN BOY
Greg was now Guarding his lure at night and sleeping with Golden Boy in his bed.
This was not unusuall for greg as the next day he played dress up out at Ratray and after Killing the Spanish with Golden boy he did a big reveal and when he pulled up next to us he had put on his wifes red number on and put coconut halves in to accetuate the neccessary dimensions,
needless to say we all slept with our backs to wall after that..
we now had 3 days of perfect weather dave had manged 6 crayfish pretty easily and one went 2.5kg thats right 2.5kg.
the forecast from our mates in Brisbane was 7 more days perfect weather whaaat i was hoping for a chill day sometime, we were booked there untill the 21st
Needless to say we found a tackle shop in Cannonvale on the second to last day and there they were Golden Golden boys in rows we lined up to pay with glee in our eyes, the owners comment was Gold today and it was Red and White last week good for business. " go figure"
Team Tegan head off to Holbourne and we start making up some ground Freezers are all full and we are throwing fish back by the dozen.
Mike manages a 6 foot Baracuda which we try and release alive after it almost destroys the boat, and breaks the Gaff.
Team Tegan come back with some big Spanish and a story of a beautifull island and poddy mullet stuck in a little bay geeting smashed by game fish , they had lunch out there on the fish they caught
It was on for the next day at Holbourne 38KM
We got about 3 spanish we dived in amongst the bait, saw spanish comming into 6 foot of water while snorkelling had lunch and then called it a day.
what a trip weather never got above 15 knots.

The group spit up 1/2 going to 1770 and we went to the elliot river for a few days with a mate at his shack
we met up on the way back with the other blokes they had done 3 days and managed a few nice fish in particular a 51 pound long tail, Nothern Blue fin,
The small black Marlin had not arrived yet on the bait reefs
so we went straight past and headed home

Weather still perfect, i believe in blew its guts out in Brisbane.

Photos to Follow when i can reduce them

Cheers Mark

PS Lots of Red Wine, beer, fish squid and crayfish was consumed
THERE ARE TO MANY PHOTOS TO SHARE SO HERE ARE A FEW

Horse
28-09-2008, 09:43 PM
That is one FAT Macky. What did it go? Its funny when fish set their minds on one particular lure then the next time you try it they won't even look at it. Sounds like a nice spot for a holiday

Neil

reel scream
28-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Great report Mark. That place looks awesome. Well done on the quality of fish.

Couple of questions mate.

What is the bottom fishing like RE Reds/ trout?

Is Montes the name of the resort??

Cheers Scott

Cammy
29-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Awsome report mate, read the whoel thing top to bottom and enjoyed it all!

Cam

JIMBO99
29-09-2008, 10:45 AM
jimbo99
What a great area Glouchester is, never been there by road, only by sea and from bowen. great mackrel ground, once caught a really red trout off ratray, not a really big fish but really red, and the blue spots stood out like diamonds, really beautiful fish. and I saw the biggest cuttlefish I have ever seen east of glouchester Is about 5 feet from the end of his tenticles to the tip of his body.
oldness is a curse mate Jimbo.

skipalong
29-09-2008, 05:41 PM
looks like some great fish and great times had by all

RAGINGBULL
30-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Montes reef resort does not have a web site however i heard of it from a yaughtie bloke on Fraser island and Googled it, a few good report came up on other yaughty websites
I visited it on business and fell in Love, The resort is not well known and has a dirt road into it.
They are upgrading the facilities as they are probably 2 OR 3 star now.
It cost us $2070 for 6 of us for 7 days but the situation it was in was awsome.
I also did some research on the best time of year September and i absolutely nailed it
Hear is the Number, i should really keep it a secret, but for you guys ahhh what the heck 49457177
The bottom Fishing i believe is really good but the crew i had with me get sea sick when the boat stops?
We also went at full moon when the current was ripping so only the last 2 days would have been reasonable
Also when you get to a new place it takes a few days to get your bearings and not too many people had reef spots that they would give us, but we have made a few contact and will be back again this time to do it properly...
We have the wreck marks and islands are fairly easy to find.
Long tail went 51 lb or 23kg

Jimbo a pic of a small trout with spots like diamonds

By the way the shirt myself and my son are wearing are high UV shirts and are a quick dry shirt, they are cool in the son and fairl warm in the cold "amazing"
Cabelas web site

Cheers Mark

Az
30-09-2008, 04:35 PM
looks like heaven!! Looks like a couple of different boats too, what boats? I can see a smaller Haines and is that a seafarer?

RAGINGBULL
01-10-2008, 08:22 AM
17 " HAINES and a 21 " WHITTLEYS

Spot82
02-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Awesome trip, and that cray is huge! definitely a spot that may have to be investigated! Looks like you had a cracker of a trip and thanks for sharing the info.

Anthony

Pistol_P
02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
BIG longtail....BIG spaniard....and a BIG cray.

Heaven allright..!8-)

Great report mate.

Pete

bigjimg
02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info Ragingbull.Looks like a fantastic place for a holiday and lots of islands for the kids to explore as well as the fishing.I'll put Montes on my list.And your right that red number looks frightening.Jim

Angla
02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Looks like Heaven..............

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

jarhead
03-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Awesome trip mate, thanks for the enjoyable read and pics.

Cheers Wal

nigelr
03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Fantastic post Mark, thanks for sharing.
Definitely the stuff that dreams are made of!
Will check out those shirts, the Mrs. and I work in the sun.
Cheers.

greg maca
05-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi
Ragingbull
Howcome when we go fishing together and you catch all the fish you use words like skill, experiance. But when i catch all the fish you use words like lucky lure and fluke.

Thanks for organising the trip we had all had a ball as usual. look forward to the next one.
Golden Boy Greg :)

RAGINGBULL
05-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Greg Greg Greg

In this tough game we are in ANY advantage is essential even if it means stretching the truth just a little...........

Great trip where to next mmmmm
1770 next Sept and one in between maybe Yamba or Coffs, travel light watch the weather and make it good long weekend maybe January or Feb
Vanuatu is also an option..

Talk soon

fishyjoe
07-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Fools,

There is only one King ring a ding ding!

Joe

litenup
07-10-2008, 07:36 AM
How lucky you were with the weather. I went there a few years agp, and it blew 20kts for 6 out of 7 days. Another trip saw us going out to Houlbroun in 15+ kts just to get a feed. It's a great spot, looking out over the water from your front yard. Cheers Pete.

RAGINGBULL
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
There is not a fool amongst us Joe, The Foolish ones sit at home Ring a ding Mikey is king that is for now any-way.

OOOH I STUCK THAT IN DEEP.

At Montes you can shelter in the bay and fish that stretch if it is bad.
I recon that if you get to know the spot you will always get a feed there.

Cheers Mark

Reel Magic
07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Mark,

Good read, it was obviously a fantastic trip, lucky bugger getting the weather right but as we spoke of September for a reason.
You never told me about those crays, thats a huge effort.

Welcome back to reality now I guess, work for money for the next trip????

Ryan.

RAGINGBULL
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
To Right Ryan
I think i might try Iluka for a short trip
Cheers Mark