PDA

View Full Version : BoatPoint 'Trailer Boat' tests ??

chop duster
22-09-2008, 09:33 AM
What a joke these blokes tests are!

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/2984735.aspx

107.4 km/h @ WOT ??? what a tool.
Where do they get these tester's from? anyone with half a brain would realise that you aren't gonna get 107 kmh out of a 18 pitch prop with a 2.33:1 gearbox.
Some less experienced boaties I'm sure read these articles believing everything that is claimed, boy will they be confused when their Stacer 489 tops out at 66kmh. (type prop calculator into google and do your own sums)

I might sound like a bit of a nit-picker, but this stuff happens all the bloody time, I read these articles for entertainment, and I really feel for the poor buggers who rely on these types of articles when researching boats.

FNQCairns
22-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Yea thats a right strange one isn't it, the writer states that initially he disputed these figures but trusted smartcraft and.... I suspect the seat of his pants on the fake leather office chair while testing the package.

cheers fnq

Getout
22-09-2008, 09:46 AM
So you dispute the 83.5 at 5000rpm also?
Perhaps he was using an uncalibrated paddlewheel speedo?

FNQCairns
22-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Or a string of rope with knots in it:):)

cheers fnq

Greg P
22-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I think he may have been to the Jabba school of performance :P;D;D;D;D

Not the first time for Mr Norton ::):-X

chop duster
22-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Getout,
yer all his figures above planing speed are more than likely wrong.
Smartcraft gear is fantastic, although it is only as good as the information it recieves and if it is relying on the paddlewheel for speed calculations, it's not gonna be accurate. now if it was hooked into his GPS via NMEA then the numbers would be more accurate (factor in tide / current etc..)
The yanks go as far as taking their own hand held GPS units to be sure of spped figures. I'm sure this bloke has one and could do the same.
The fuel figures are probably correct tho, as this is derives from the engine itself. I guess he should have followed up on his gut instinct on this one!

P.S - don't you love those soft riding quintrex's !!!!!::) hahahaha must be that new millenium hull or something8-)

chop duster
22-09-2008, 09:59 AM
maybe he should stick to making anti-virus software?

wilcara
22-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I have been reading a heap of these "road tests" of late in various publications. It is amazing - they are nearly always absolutely identical; direct copies off the manufacturer's press release. I don't think they even see the boat sometimes, its just advertising.

disorderly
22-09-2008, 11:00 AM
He is never one to let facts get in the way of a good story....

I've cut and pasted the method he used to determine fuel use on the 90hp in his reveiw of the E-Tec 90....

"Bombardier was unable to provide accurate fuel-flow equipment, so I've determined fuel usage from my testing of the 75. Also, I've since discovered that the flowmeter used for testing the 75 was inaccurate below 2000 revs, so the fuel usage figures are based on the E-TEC 75 and TLDI 90, which operates at similar air/fuel ratios when trolling."

What a bloody joke...;D;D

julian1
22-09-2008, 11:17 AM
none of those mainstream tests are worth a pinch of $h1t. F&B's are more realistic, at least with accurate fuel consumption. You just have to go out and find out for yourself in real life !!

Mindi
22-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I have been reading a heap of these "road tests" of late in various publications. It is amazing - they are nearly always absolutely identical; direct copies off the manufacturer's press release. I don't think they even see the boat sometimes, its just advertising.
Of course it is, I cant recall reading a "boat test" in australian boating press that wasnt just advertorial rubbish... just press release stuff or at best flattering descriptions of rides in boats always saying the same predictable stuff. They will have no credibility until they start occasionally saying "welll this boat was actually a heap of complete rubbish with unbonded welding and poor fit and finish.
The Australian on weekend tested a Swedish luxury car and bagged it...finishing with the observation that they would struggle to find the people to buy the 30 planned to be imported...! or watch Top Gear...so if motoring journalism can do it why not boating journalists..?...

wilcara
22-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Go Top Gear!!!

stinky-stabi
23-09-2008, 07:23 PM
some one here claims to be a boat tester of some sort(dont want to mention names) so may be he can help with this issue...B$%#BOY where are you???
thought you would have responded to this thread by now?..lol

BOMBIE
23-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Of course it is, I cant recall reading a "boat test" in australian boating press that wasnt just advertorial rubbish... just press release stuff or at best flattering descriptions of rides in boats always saying the same predictable stuff. They will have no credibility until they start occasionally saying "welll this boat was actually a heap of complete rubbish with unbonded welding and poor fit and finish.
The Australian on weekend tested a Swedish luxury car and bagged it...finishing with the observation that they would struggle to find the people to buy the 30 planned to be imported...! or watch Top Gear...so if motoring journalism can do it why not boating journalists..?...
SO right MINDI ,,but what are WE to do so many believe what is written in advos etc and not by hands oners like on Ausfish who use /tell it like it REALLY is >:(

black runner
23-09-2008, 09:29 PM
What a joke these blokes tests are!

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/2984735.aspx

107.4 km/h @ WOT ??? what a tool.
Where do they get these tester's from? anyone with half a brain would realise that you aren't gonna get 107 kmh out of a 18 pitch prop with a 2.33:1 gearbox.
Some less experienced boaties I'm sure read these articles believing everything that is claimed, boy will they be confused when their Stacer 489 tops out at 66kmh. (type prop calculator into google and do your own sums)

And that 66 is without any slip factored in. Would be closer to 60 in reality.::)

tin can marlin
23-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Who really cares what about more important subjects like the boat industry going to be taken over by the greens or quientrex haveing to put of a 100 works due to lack of sales. What about there familys trying to get 3 meals a day and a roof over there head. It is hard out there and all we want to do is talk about is someone getting a story wrong on a boat test.

TimiBoy
24-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Bad day at the office Tin Can?

Tim

PinHead
24-09-2008, 05:26 AM
tin can..and what are we supposed to do? All go out and buy Quinnies? Tis a sad fact of life unfortunately. As for the boat tests..gave up reading car and boat tests many years back...same as the boat of the year awards..they are only selected from the manufacturers that pay to enter...not a true "best" boat when not all makes are represented.

boatboy50
24-09-2008, 08:22 AM
some one here claims to be a boat tester of some sort(dont want to mention names) so may be he can help with this issue...B$%#BOY where are you???
thought you would have responded to this thread by now?..lol

Stinky,

I don't know you, and have no idea why you would single me out? What's your problem?

I have not written any of the tests written about here, so had no input. I didn't claim rediculous figures, so why should I defend those that did?

You may have thought you were being funny in your post, but I believe in the rule if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, why contribute at all? Some people have too much spare time.

For the record, I use a handheld GPS for all my readings, and actually do everything I write about with the boats. I don't cut and paste out of any marketing blurb. I test the boats to my likings and what I believe the boat should do. Every word in a test is written and tested by me.

If you actually read my previous tests (they are available online), you would find that I do indeed call a spade a spade. If a boat is finished average, I tell it. If it's wet, I tell it. Everything written about in a test is an individual thing, What I find wet, you may not. I want a boat with a big cabin and capable of cruising, to you a big cockpit or ugly looking boat may be more important. It's all relative.

I have written for the magazine which has been claimed in this thread to tell it like it is. I am now starting to do a small amount for Trailer Boat, so may change the perceived culture you guys have. Watch this space.

A two hour run is not nearly enough time to comment about every aspect of a boat's performance. That type of in depth test requires weeks, which simply is not possible, unless you own the boat, and then post on ausfish. Even then, owners will always be one sided.

Stinky, if you actually have a question, ask it? Otherwise find something else to do with your time.

Regards

Darren

chop duster
24-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Tin Can,
Don't like the topic? Don't read the thread!:-/
Why don't you go sit out the front of Harvey Normans and watch how many 110cm Plasma TV's are sold each day! :o

wilcara
24-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Boat boy, I note your indignation and understand that. As your name has "popped up" I just want to say for the record that I am talking very generally in what I said about many tests being recycled press releases, and disturbingly similar.

I'm sure you will agree with me. There are some really good ones too and I really like to seek them out. I am not familiar with yours but I am sure that yours are among the good ones.

boatboy50
24-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Will,

You can find my tests on www.seamedia.com.au (http://www.seamedia.com.au)

I don't actually read many other testers stories, unless I have a keen interest in that particular boat, so can't comment on their accuracy.

Regards

Darren

wilcara
24-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Darren, empty your in box.

boatboy50
24-09-2008, 10:33 AM
OK. Done! Send it through!

Mindi
24-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Darren
Fair enough to defend your rep. I started out on journos in boat tests in frustration at seeing glowing "wonderful family fun" reports on some very prominent brands,. while seeing furious postings here on cracks and bad workmanship and alleging no after sales support...the gap between the two views was striking. Looking forward to seeing some of your realistic reviews on seamedia.com.au....Cheers

boatboy50
24-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Mindi,

As i'm sure everyone can appreciate, there is no way that in the two or three hours a journo has access to a boat he or she can tell that a boat will crack here because it is not supported enough, or that the idiot QC guy missed that the builders didn't seal a bung on boat number 188 or ect ect ect.

After sales support is also something which can never be determined by a writer. To think it can is unrealistic.

There will always be problems with every manufacturer. It's how they deal with them that counts.

It is the journos job to report on what he or she can see and do in the few hours of the test, and report that back, good or bad.

Regards

Darren

wilcara
24-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah the review is only going to say how it looked, what the design is, a personal view of the layout, and how it handled on the day. Chuck in some consumption figures etc from the blurb and there you have it.

No way is the guy going to say it is a piece of crap, because if he did the magazine would not publish it, as the builder would sue their ass off. Common sense really that you are only going to read good stuff. Remember that the magazine is a private business out to make money, and is supported more financially by the advertisers (boat builders) than the readers who buy it.

Your expectation has to be realistic, and as Darren says the reviewer obviously cannot say that the company used to be good and now has "issues" or anything like that. It will always have a positive slant, it has to.

If anybody does not think so, I would really love top see them write a magazine report that states something is rubbish or the company sucks. I'd love to watch the fallout from that!

Greg P
24-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Darren - always enjoyed your write ups in F&B as you say with the limited time available the boat test should only form part of the decision process when buying a boat.

I wonder if Mr W will be lifting the floors on the big red Quinnie after 12 months or so - though I bet that one got special treatment though at the factory during the hotworks ;);D;D;D;D

Chris Ryan
24-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Could also look at the video boat tests at www.whatsonwater.com.au too.

stinky-stabi
25-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Stinky,

I don't know you, and have no idea why you would single me out? What's your problem?

I have not written any of the tests written about here, so had no input. I didn't claim rediculous figures, so why should I defend those that did?

You may have thought you were being funny in your post, but I believe in the rule if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, why contribute at all? Some people have too much spare time.

For the record, I use a handheld GPS for all my readings, and actually do everything I write about with the boats. I don't cut and paste out of any marketing blurb. I test the boats to my likings and what I believe the boat should do. Every word in a test is written and tested by me.

If you actually read my previous tests (they are available online), you would find that I do indeed call a spade a spade. If a boat is finished average, I tell it. If it's wet, I tell it. Everything written about in a test is an individual thing, What I find wet, you may not. I want a boat with a big cabin and capable of cruising, to you a big cockpit or ugly looking boat may be more important. It's all relative.

I have written for the magazine which has been claimed in this thread to tell it like it is. I am now starting to do a small amount for Trailer Boat, so may change the perceived culture you guys have. Watch this space.

A two hour run is not nearly enough time to comment about every aspect of a boat's performance. That type of in depth test requires weeks, which simply is not possible, unless you own the boat, and then post on ausfish. Even then, owners will always be one sided.

Stinky, if you actually have a question, ask it? Otherwise find something else to do with your time.

Regards

Darren

dilligaf m8
read it.. it says nothing more than wat is says there mister serious boat jurno..pf......take a chill pill

BOMBIE
25-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Darren
Fair enough to defend your rep. I started out on journos in boat tests in frustration at seeing glowing "wonderful family fun" reports on some very prominent brands,. while seeing furious postings here on cracks and bad workmanship and alleging no after sales support...the gap between the two views was striking. Looking forward to seeing some of your realistic reviews on seamedia.com.au....Cheers
Once again Mindi I quote you BOATBOY here is a outlandish idea why not test some [preloved ] boats that have been blogged about in ausfish or elsewhere for some time. mines up for a review ANYTIME someone would like to print /review on it as noone else wants to know:-[ Pm me anytime

Ocean_Spirit
26-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Some interesting points.

All I can say is that judging from Darren's preference for his own boat (Seafarer Victory) he obviously knows what he's on about! The best 19" - 20" boat in Australia bar none.

Mindi
26-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Some interesting points.

All I can say is that judging from Darren's preference for his own boat (Seafarer Victory) he obviously knows what he's on about! The best 19" - 20" boat in Australia bar none.

Yeah I guess some pedantic person will point out that we havent been in all of them so we couldnt know...but I agree... a mate has one with a 175 extra terrestrial engine coy product on the back.. and it is just the sweetest offshore boat , I have always lusted after it....he actually repowered after nearly ten years as he didnt see a boat he wanted to swap for at the size/price.

boatboy50
26-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Once again Mindi I quote you BOATBOY here is a outlandish idea why not test some [preloved ] boats that have been blogged about in ausfish or elsewhere for some time. mines up for a review ANYTIME someone would like to print /review on it as noone else wants to know:-[ Pm me anytime

And that would achieve what?

Basically, if you don't like it, don't read it. Everyone makes their own choices in life.

To the first or tenth boat buyer who is located in Ayr and has never seen any of the current new boats in person, these boat tests are a wealth of information for him or her and save them a hell of a lot of money.

Each to their own.

Regards

Darren

BOMBIE
26-09-2008, 11:00 PM
boatboy50, maybe some truth in this industry, Darren dont misunderstand me please , all I am eluding to is that "new" boat reviews DONT tell the whole truth whereas a review on something 12 to 24 months old that is falling apart/peeling/cracking might save some poor other bugger the "hell of a lot of money " problem/heartacre that this industry deserves& needs after all said and done when the " oft/,baiq/marine qld / qld transport "dont want to know & cant do anything about it then someone should parttake in some facts it is really quiet that simple

mik01
26-09-2008, 11:16 PM
I think most of us agree that the lines between road tests and advertising are very blurred. its up to us to pick the good from the bad - just like all advertisements that claim to be factual.

I mean, really - ever watched that show on Nein with Glenn Ridge - Boating life or whatever its called?? Solid Gold Crap...

anyway, why would you buy a boat/car/bike from simply reading a write up in a magazine?? you would be a fool.
I agree it is annoying, but then I refuse to buy that mag and others, and exercise my right not to read it.

maybe we all should?

BOMBIE
28-09-2008, 08:44 PM
keep reading [how it is blogs] on Ausfish Thats right mik01 just some truth on "tested " things WOULD be nice / and maybe some sort of truth in advos / mag writers that was not blaintly "paid for"again like top gear who seem to tell it like it is .maybe we should approach a TV channel to test boats when they feel there are good enought for the program ?wonder how many would donate there products ??