PDA

View Full Version : Inverter

Seahorse
02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Is It Ok To Take Out The Resister In A Fluo So It Can Run Off An Inverter?
Also What Would Be A Good Size To Run A Bar Fridge If Genny Failed.
Sounds Like A Good Back Up.
Untill The Other Weekend I Had Never Seen One Work.

Cheers
Greg

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about a Genny failing.
I would be more worried about the battery dying within a hour of using just an invertor. Those things will suck your battery dry in no time, unless there being charged at the same time EG: being used in your car while the engine is running.

shano
04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I Have a 150W inverter, i have run a 4ft fluro off it and ran for about 3 hours and the auto shut off cut in as it ran the battery low! so they so chew the battery. and yo would need a massive one to run the bar fridge! the start up chews lots of power! go the gennie! if you get a good one you wont have a prob!

Seahorse
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Shano
I ended up buying the honda 20eu.

shano
04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
well done ;)

Roughasguts
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Seahorse, now don't forget it's easy with a generator! fresh fuel after around 2 months of it going stale just sitting in the tank.

Don't wan't to kill the new motor with bad fuel.

Cheers.

jimbamb
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
saehorse,
forget about using a inverter one to run a fridge would flatten a battery in no time.
Go and buy a good 12v flouro.They draw less than 1 amp and put out plenty of light without flattening battery

Roughasguts
05-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Kind'a makes you wonder, what's an invertor good for????

Seahorse
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
iamstarting to think the same thing rough.

bungie
05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I run power tools through my 1000w inverter, all my tools bar the circular saw as the first kick trips the inverter. Plus all the usual chargers ect. I also run my video camera through the inverter. I have a suction cup setup to hold the camera on the inside of the wind screen and plug the camera straight into the inverter, no flat batteries :)

tunaticer
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
There are invertor modules available for all size flouros to be used with 12 or 24v supply. They draw minimal power even for running a 4' flouro and worth the investment.

Jack.

Barracuta
21-09-2008, 07:46 PM

G'day fellas,
We do a annual fishing trip to the NT and FNQ every year, We all have 1000 watt inverters in our trucks so we can run our deep freezers ranging in size from 150-320 Litres. They work really well when driving the 3 days to our destination, and are good to run the freezers and fridges for about 11-12 hours overnight before the alarm starts sounding, beats digging the geni out running leads and power boards ect. Onces at camp the inverters become redundent and the genis come on line till the trip home. So thats one thing they are good for i guess.;D

FNQCairns
21-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Will not mention any names, someone I know takes along one of those cheap household pedistal fans for tropical camping trips, nothing like a good sleep without mozzies!!a 250w inverter pushes it easily.

Actually that inverter let the smoke out just yesterday during a blackout we had, I was going to replace it with a big or bigger one, this thread has now got me thinking why I would bother with a 600/1000w replacement:-/

cheers fnq