PDA

View Full Version : Tough Day for Townsville Nannygai

Alchemy
17-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Frank, Tim and I headed out yesterday morning from Ross ck. The day didn't start well with me leaving the boat keys at home, then the oil alarm going off at launch. Fortunately the alarm was just the service reminder! As we left the creek, the gps died, so I loaded a couple of the marks into an old hand held I always carry.

On arrival I sounded around to find a small show and the pick went down. All quiet so we moved to a better show. Here we were plagued by little trevors and school macs. Frank doesn't mind a feed of mac, so we kept about a dozen around 50 - 60cm for him.

The nannygai were either slow or too small. This trend continued till the tide changed. The macs were so thick and we were losing so much tackle that I made up a wire trace about four inches long. I put a ball sinker on the wire so if they hit the sinker, then I wouldn't lose the rig. Surprisingly this worked and an 8kg nanny hit the deck soon after. Frank got a nanny of similar size too. Frank and Tim also managed to find a few legal nannies around the 45cm mark too, which helped the esky.

Next move for me was to try an sp. I had a couple of packs of Atomic Guzzlerz to try. These were in the 7" size and are made from 100% bio-degradable stuff. Unlike the Gulps they're not supposed to dry out. Time will tell I guess. Early on I got small nannies, trevors and school macs. Then I hooked into a really solid fish which peeled drag effortlessly from my Daiwa Advantage spinning reel. Unfortunately I panicked and and over did the drag, breaking the 30lb braid, bugger! Tim was also using sp, but the 7" Gulps. Tim got a stack of trevors and macs, plus a few small nannies.

A quick re-rig and I was over the side again. This time another good hook up, but a much softer drag. I was really concerned I'd be bricked, but this fish played clean and after a good fight a solid nanny close to 6kg was in the net. A few more little ones, then I was smashed again. This time I put a bit more drag on, but couldn't do much except hope this fish didn't go to ground. Fortunately he didn't, and after a solid fight a fat cod was boated. The cod pulled the boga scales beyond their 30lb limit, so am not quite sure how heavy it was. I was pretty happy though after getting that aboard.

The day started out a bit bumpy, but glassed out to a beautiful warm day. We cruised home, getting back to the ramp about 330pm. The esky held nine nannies (6 little ones and 3 good ones), the fat cod, 12 macs and a few trevors (for Frank). Given the bad start to the day, I should've expected something else would go wrong. After dragging the boat out at the ramp we found we had a flat tyre.

At least we got out and got a feed though :)

Heres a few pics.

Regards,
Dave.

Benno1
17-08-2008, 09:43 PM
great report Dave :D...(except for the mishaps)...glad you all came home with a decent feed...did you fish exclusively with plastics???...turned out to be good trip after all...im loving the piccies...thanks again :D

(Mrs Benno1)

levinge
17-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Alchemy, good report, I fished on Saturday, good day on the water but unfortunately no fish this trip, trolled wolfies and a little bottom bashing on a good spot, but, didn't produce.

Where were you fishing, wide or close

Fishin_Dan
17-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Nice Dave! Glad your oil alarm wasn't anything major. Was wondering how you went all day. Obviously much better than we did...

At least Scotty got a remora ;) We didn't get anything!

Keep up the good work with those fish mate. You're giving us hope that we might still get some ;)

backlash08
18-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi Dave,
thanks for the post, a good read. Nice catch of fish and by the sounds of it you shouldnt have any other mishaps for a few years, you had them all this trip!
cheers
Craig

Fishing_Freddy
18-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Great report, sorry to hear about the dramas. At least you got out and got some descent quality fish for your effort, well done.
Ken:beer:

Mozza
18-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Great report Dave,

I've been keen to get into the placcies a bit more after collecting a few u/s nannies off the Maggie water pipe last year.

Are those half-oz. jig heads you're using there? Did they hit bottom reasonably quickly? (if you don't mind me asking...) I've found it quite difficult to 'feel' the bottom in deeper water and have wondered how heavy I need to be to keep them in the strike zone.

Stonker Gold Spot that - haven't they got a melon on them! Hope you cut the cheeks out off them 'cos that's the sweetest part I've found on them.

Mozza

Local_Guy
18-08-2008, 09:25 AM
nice catch. well done.

did you happen to get any pics of your sounder when over the nannygai's and bait schools. i'd be interested to see what that looked like.

ronnien
18-08-2008, 03:18 PM
yeah dave where were you fishing?

ron.

Frank OO
18-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Dave,

Don't you just love the Plastics. Great photos..

Frank OO

Alchemy
18-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the pics guys, plus the other comments.

Mrs B, no we didn't fish exclusively with sp. Though Frank did. Tim and I used a mix of squid and sp. The school macs were so thick at times they'd sniff out a bait in a flash, where the sp got past them - sometimes! I reckon with every mac hooked about 20 of his mates followed him up. Quite amazing really.

Hi Levinge, I tried wolfies last season without success. Apart from one spaniard on a pillie early in the year, the only other couple have fallen to trolled rapalas out around the reef. We run fairly wide to get these fish.

Hi Dan. I'm an idiot... that's the third time I've fallen for that frickin alarm. You'd think I'd learn :P

Thanks Craig and Ken. When I got that wheel off yesterday I found my brake pads almost non-existent too. Another job...

G'day Mozza. I was using a 3/4oz TT with a 7/0 hook. Initially with a 40lb leader, but after dropping a good fish I upgraded to 80lb. Not that it was the leaders fault. I had no trouble getting to the bottom in 30m at anchor. If we'd been drifting it would have been a different matter early as there was a bit of wind early on. There is no hard and fast rule to head size. Just have to use one heavy enough to get you down. Ideally I prefer my sp to 'waft' down, as opposed to rocketing straight down. Though if the fish are right on the bottom, then I guess that is not so important.

Local Guy, sorry. No sounder pics.

Hi Frank. Yeap, love fishing with sp. Was actually surprised to land that cod and nanny with what I thought was a reasonably light drag setting. Might have learnt something there I think.

Regards,
Dave.

levinge
18-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks there Alchemy, Thought thats where you must been. Close in, it wasn't producing and even a few bumps I went over, looked good but had nothing hanging around.

Guess it wide and deep next time...

Nic
19-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Bloody typical - I work my butt off at the trade show all weekend while you take MY new Guzzlerz and go gallivanting after reefies! At least you weren't able to weigh your cod, so it can't officially beat my biggest one!

Scott nthQld
19-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Nice catch Dave ans sounds like an entertaining trip. You'd be the only person I know that has brought home anything this week! Can't wait for the next period of good weather, it'll be another trip wider on the cards.

disorderly
23-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Dave ..is that you on the front cover of the August QFM???

Alchemy
24-08-2008, 07:47 AM
uhm............. ;)

disorderly
24-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Ohh....::);D

snipe
24-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I thought it might have been Carl Rackeman, with a bit of airbrushing involved

Fisher4life
24-08-2008, 07:34 PM
was that also one of your photo's in the FNQ section of the underwater shot of the small mouth??

Alchemy
24-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Josh, yeap. Nic took both pics. She mucked around for ages to get that one :)

Alchemy
24-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I thought it might have been Carl Rackeman, with a bit of airbrushing involved

Yeah, I hear he's trying to make himself look more like me ;)

disorderly
24-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Josh, yeap. Nic took both pics. She mucked around for ages to get that one :)

Cool...that's a fantastic photo...loved it....well done to Nic..:)
(the small mouth I mean..not you Dave ;);D)

Fisher4life
25-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Yep i agree, definitely a great pic.

Cool...that's a fantastic photo...loved it....well done to Nic..:)
(the small mouth I mean..not you Dave ;);D)

Nic
26-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys! Dave was very patient while I was leaning into the drink trying to get a decent pic. They're beautiful looking fish aren't they. :)