PDA

View Full Version : Pixels??????????????

troy
15-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Never ever got myself up to to date on the tecknical
side so i am asking how important is Pixel size.
The Furuno 620 is 400x 400 pixels and the Lowrance x515c is 480x480.
Does this mean the Lowrance is the better sounder because of the higher pixels.
Do other factors come into play to even things out.
Troy

BrandonH
15-08-2008, 02:32 PM
As far as i know the more pixels the better the picture, this is generally said for TV's and computer screens...

I upgraded to a new sounder a couple of months ago and got the Lowrance x125. black and white but it has the 480x480 pixel count, I was blown away with how crisp the image was compared to my older x51!! there is very little blocky bits on my arches now :D

Also don't forget that if you have an 8" screen with 480x480 pixels compared to a 4" screen with 400x400 the 4" screen will probably display a better picture as it has more pixels over the size of the display, but overall the 4" screen will look tiny compared to the larger screen.

I think your best bet is find a local store that has both models on demo mode and check them out for yourself.

cheers
Brandon...

nigelr
15-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I stand to be corrected Troy, but basically, your sounder head displays the information sent to in by the transducer.
The software loaded into the sounder head interprets this information, and the screen displays it for you, the more pixels the greater the resolution.
However, the information received from the transducer must be processed to a sufficient degree of accuracy by the software, for the display to be accurate, whether it is a high resolution image or not.
Jiminy what a mouthful! So basically, pixels are just one part of a three part equation, being a) - quality of the signal from the transducer, b) quality of the interpretive software within the sounder head, c) quality of resolution of the screen.
Cheers, I need a lie down now.

BaitThrower
15-08-2008, 05:00 PM
What he said! Pixels are only part of it. Good to have more, but doesn't mean one that has more is necessarily better overall than one that has less.

wilcara
15-08-2008, 05:04 PM
That is my understanding too. It would explain why you can get a better picture on a quality sounder despite a cheaper model having more pixels.

That being said Troy, 400 or 480 is near enough to the same thing really. The difference from 400 to 680 might be noticeable, but I am reluctant to comment on Furuno, I have not used one, and everybody says how brilliant they are.

I think for you that if you were looking at say 240x320 that is different to a 420x680 and the difference would be apparent.

fishing111
16-08-2008, 10:11 AM
In my latset BIAS catalogue the pixel count for the Furuno FCV-620 is 240 wide x 320 vertical.

Grand_Marlin
18-08-2008, 09:07 AM
G'day Troy,

The proof is in the pudding

:bdaycake:

As suggested above, it is a package deal, and you certainly get what you pay for.

You will be hard pushed to find a better screen than the Lowrance X515.

Especially in daylight viewing which is very important.

Cheers

Pete

Savage Scorpion
19-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Would have to agree with Pete above. Have had the Lowrance X515c DF for two weeks now and cant fault the picture and quality on this screen.

Regards Greg.

fRuItCaKe
19-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Just bought one of these today. Looks sensational.

Now I've just got to save up for the map card.......