PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Overnighter Yeppoon

jtpython
06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Leaving the Harbour at 1 30 pm we headed to some ground out before Johnson patch some 70 odd km offshore frfom Yeppoon. Conditions we perfect with a slight E swell waving to Local guy as we went past to have a quick look at his cobe and then off to our spot ...........sitting on 50 km /hr we managed the trip in an hour and a half and set up for our first drift .
Scoring a couple small reds and trigger fish i went for some shallower ground and started the drift . 3 way hook up one moari cod 1 redthroat and one stripey so backs we go a good sized bluey and a few reds undersized ........ So we achored up no worries and began the fun lippers and blueys and reds and hussar not to mention the 50 or so undersized red emporer and the bloody trigger fish lol
We fish right up into the night picking up lippers and reds managing grassy lipper redthroat reds moari cod stripeys tuskies hussars Most of the grassy's averaged good sizes so we had a ball but were buggared pulling up the hussar and under sized reds all night. Expecting a forecasted SSW 15/20 knots we slept for couple hours with it blowing up around 3.15 so we headed for Barren to shelter till the sun come up . After this we headed home and cleaned and ready for the tight lines competition.
We seen alot of whales and dolphin pods to but thankgod they we away from us
Cheers JT

jtpython
06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Couple more pics
the trip was a pre-run me me as i had an Op 4 weeks ago and was mainly wanting to see how i managed

MY ALIBI
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
good weather 4 you hey and a good catch to go with it jt

Benno1
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Quality mixed bag there JT...all the fresh fish will no doubt help with your recovery :D
did bait do the damage or plastics maybe???...thanks for the report and pics...appreciate it :D

(Mrs Benno1)

jtpython
06-08-2008, 02:38 PM
LOL baits i'm not very plastic illiterate the brother-in-law tried one of them Octijigs but we were catching fish around it so he tackle boxed it
But will tell ya what we did catch some of the fish on
................... Live freashwater crutchies
I don't eat red meat and i love my fish
JT

disorderly
06-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Great to see you back on the water,mate.
Some nice reds as well...lucky bugga.
Sounds like you had a ball and caught some quality fish as well.
Well done JT and enjoy the fresh fish.

Scott

polky
06-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Jt hope all was good after opp, and your back on the water for along time. Heading out to Douglas and that area this Saturday arvo, back Sunday morning. Polky. PS Good haul of fish.

Local_Guy
06-08-2008, 04:39 PM
well done JT. good to see you catching fish again.

kitty_cat
06-08-2008, 05:23 PM
looks like a great trip well done never get sick of seeing those reds and dont they taste the best
well done
wayne

mangomick
06-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Good to hear your back on the water JT. Nice catch.
You'd better lay off the big reds before you pull your stitches;D

jtpython
06-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Good to hear your back on the water JT. Nice catch.
You'd better lay off the big reds before you pull your stitches;D
HAHA;D
I wore my gimbal
I didn't catch any legal red the old man did was a change for him lol
Plus it's the first time he used a rod on the bottom he's a handline man but after a couple of full on runs by whalers sometime back he was keen on the idea of using one at night on the bottom and scored all the legal reds. But he gave it to us ................. i got most of the lippers and bluey's
JT

warti
06-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I took the bro and old man out near heron saturday arvo for an eventful night of fishing and dodging the wind. Sounded around till i found a school of fish which turned out to be undersized reds, oh well i will get the big one someday. Mucked around for a while and settled on a bit of rubbly stuff in 22 metres. The rest of the night was spent getting our bag of lipper. Other fish to go in the esky were moari cod,hussar,big moses perch and in the morning a couple of parrot. No photos again as i left the filleting up to the deckies and i had get home as the flu had totally stuffed my wkend.

ifishcq1
06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
;Dwhere are my pics you rotten midweek bandit;D;D

Snap and I are putting in tomorrow arvo and camping in statue bay o/n and toasting the fishing gear for luck with several icy jims

Friday early, snapperheads and my crew are meeting us at the ramp hitting a little lump not far from your spots JT on the run to the Douglas area

depending on the size of the reds if we are only getting average stuff we'll keep moving till we get a real big bugger

then work out to the shoals up over sweety country before trolling a heavy leaded 200mm livey for trout and a pair of 700mm ribbonies with light trollheads around the edge of the shoal for spannoes
back home for the arvo weigh-in

well ya gotta have a plan don't ya

JT and Bunga, I can here almost smell the first jimmy now...burp

SL

jtpython
06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Awwwww those that had to work scotty Alas there was a few on the radio that had to work too but we won't go into that
Whats your predictions for the weater scotty?
JT

reel scream
06-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Well bloody done JT. Nice fish. Curious mate as to what the "blueys" are?

Cheers Scott

rat_catcher
06-08-2008, 08:27 PM
JT good see you back into it mate! When you sent those pics to my phone I was stuck in a client meeting and all I could think about was getting out there with you......anyway the boat is all back together now and just needs a good clean up and test run and we will be back into it. Heading to Mackay this weekend for soccer though.

ifishcq1
06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Awwwww those that had to work scotty Alas there was a few on the radio that had to work too but we won't go into that
Whats your predictions for the weater scotty?
JT

Everyone is saying 10-15knt but bom just said 15-20

I hope not

Otherwise trout around the islands

SL

jtpython
06-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Well bloody done JT. Nice fish. Curious mate as to what the "blueys" are?

Cheers Scott
Sorry mate old habits never die out Blue tooth are tuskie's
Cheers Scott /Ratcatcher i thought that would make your day
And Scotty Icqfish thats what i'm seeing wide to
And god how many Scotty's are there LOL
JT

business class
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
nice catch JT nice to see you got into those lippas. I am addicted to the up north fishing now just can't wait to get back up there. Well done and nice catch

Cheers
Matty

Gagga08
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
nice catch

rat_catcher
07-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Cheers Scott /Ratcatcher i thought that would make your day
And Scotty Icqfish thats what i'm seeing wide to
And god how many Scotty's are there LOL
JT
Yeah I was trying to look at the pics on the phone without anybody seeing what I was looking at! ;D

Good luck and safe boating to all the boys going out in the tightlines this weekend.

Wind Dancer
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Nice catch Cheers

Munchy
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice catch Jt. Glad to see you had a great time on the water. How did you go with the tightlines?

jtpython
10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Went out saturday afternoon in an about 1.7 easterly swell straight smack bang into her for 40 km then got to our spot ............ And then from there took us 3 hours till we got a fish nto the esky 1 nice large redthroat but we ended up with about 50 undersized reds and 30 or so trigger fish lol
Conditions turned beautiful into the night but was a neap tide and not much current
Cut a long story short ended up with 12 nice fish consiting of lippers and red throat a huge bluey (tuskfish) and 2 nice stripey's but thats was that we were back at the harbour aT 10 am and finished at 1 pm cleaned and put gear away and ready for the draws at the tightlines by2.30 pm
And no i didn't win anything
The wifes number was called saturday night but she wasn't there cause we were out fishing and she didn't want to stand there n the cold lol
No pics sorry guys
JT

ifishcq1
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
JT your phone has a camera, surely

Tightlines should only get better when they put all the feedback to use

Top weekend, Thommo and I caught goods reds, sweeties, plenty of hussar and big moses and from reports as many as the top fellas
we can't help it if 850mm reds aren't big enough to win

but we won the small tinny, trailer and motor plus a mackerel box and a radio

Next year should have a full book

Catch ya

SL

Munchy
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a great weekend. Congrats Ifish on your prizes sounds like you went home happy lol

Local_Guy
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
congrats scott.

i headed out friday morning into a 1 - 1.5m swell to GKI. too us an hour to get there from the harbour. anchored up in a sheltered bay where i caught an undersize red 20cm i think he went, then a few small hussar.

At 12noon we went to barron Is. swell had dropped heaps by then. we caught 1 cod undersized on the wreck and that was it.

saturday we made a move for Coorooman ck to chase flathead and blue salmon.. well i caught about 6 steelies, but no blues, and no flathead.

Friday night i did win a $500 fencing voucher at the draws.

jase

disorderly
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
but we won the small tinny, trailer and motor plus a mackerel box and a radio

Catch ya

SL

Nice effort mate...but is the tinny your's or is it a shared prize???:-/:).
Though whichever way you look at it it's a great thing..well done8-).

BTW,What category did you win it in ??.

And JT ...2 weekends in a row..gee you central QLD types get the good weather..I am totally envious ..up here we have had crap windy weather pretty much all year.:(

Scott

ifishcq1
10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Disorderly

lucky door draw shared as agreed when we started fishing comps years ago

Thommo and I worked it out we have had a great run in the Barra Bounty, the Tannum Hookup, a few others and now the Tightlines

individual and team events we have either won or come a place in the fishing sections most years and the couple we haven't placed we always win a treasure chest or a big lucky door prize which are often better than the prizes for best fish or most barras

but that is only the secondary reason for comp fishing, we fish them to share and learn from all the other fishers not to mention the social and medicinal jims or bundys

SL

kaypee
11-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Was great to see a top weekend and great comp turn out wasn't it... sounds like everyone had a ball.
We had a mixed weekend, I was lucky enough to get the biggest red friday and my mate got biggest lipper fri aswell and both team mates won an icebox and some tackle in the draws so that was a bonus...
Went out for a mad dash yesterday to try and get the red prize back with perfect conditions but no joy... so it was back to the harbour for quite a few ale's!!!

ifishcq1
11-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Good onya Kaypee

SL

Custaro
17-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Good to see ya got out on the water JT. I heard that week you had an op and a gut full of stiches.

Work and other commitments got the better of me for the weekend but sounds like everything went well. I'll be in it for sure next year.

I back in the Brisbane now for 2 weeks and can't wait to get back and enjoy my lunch on the banks of the Fitzroy. Keen to start seeing a few barra boofs with some warm weather.

Clay

jtpython
18-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Good to see ya got out on the water JT. I heard that week you had an op and a gut full of stiches.

Work and other commitments got the better of me for the weekend but sounds like everything went well. I'll be in it for sure next year.

I back in the Brisbane now for 2 weeks and can't wait to get back and enjoy my lunch on the banks of the Fitzroy. Keen to start seeing a few barra boofs with some warm weather.

Clay
LOL Cheers Clay
My op was in the 2nd week of July so i had some recovery time much to my families digust but i Hadn't been out of my boat for near a month was very dishearting.
Was a good trip . Just waitng for some more
JT