PDA

View Full Version : 406 MHz RLB Registration

Chine
05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Gents,

I have just had occasion to register a number of 406 PLB's online over the AMSA website and can only say that it was an easy, straightforward and complete process.

Previous to this I had registered my own private EPIRB by email and when the boat was sold I emailed the change of ownership details. The system fell down at this point because I did not receive an email back to confirm that the registration was complete.

I needed to call AMSA during the online registration and took the opportunity to offer some "constructive comment" regarding the failure to close the loop in the email registration process. The AMSA rep was honest and agreed that this had been a shortcoming and they were presently in the throes of clearing up the loophole. As it turns out, my change of ownership had not been completed and I resent the email to confirm my side of the deal.

The online process is excellent. It requires a user name and password (as usual) and allows you to double check details and or change/edit contact numbers etc.
The program allows three separate contacts although you are able to actually nominate 3 per cell providing nine sequential contact numbers. In addition there is a field to make additional comments for your particular circumstance. At any time you can view/review your registration details.

Hop on to the site and check it out.

https://www.beacons.amsa.gov.au/

PADDLES
06-08-2008, 07:59 AM
it's great isn't it. and you not only get an email to confirm your transaction you also get a hard copy confirmation letter with your id sticker.

Chine
06-08-2008, 12:11 PM
The other point that was made by the AMSA rep indicated that the registration backlog was reasonably substantial.

Clearly, if you want instantaneous registration for your new 406 then you will need to register online. Failing that there will be a period where your "in service" EPIRB/PLB will be unregistered causing a potential delay to rescue activation whilst RCC attempts to validate the alert prior to dedicating resources.

It really is a "no-brainer";)

SgBFish
06-08-2008, 12:35 PM
It is a good service.

Scott

SatNav
06-08-2008, 12:54 PM
"period where your "in service" EPIRB/PLB will be unregistered causing a potential delay to rescue activation whilst RCC attempts to validate the alert prior to dedicating resources"

1. No that is not totally correct

2. Beacon registrations are catalogued in a processing queue and this catalogue is available 24/7 to S&RO

3. There should be no potential delay at all with regard rescue activation

Chine
06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
"period where your "in service" EPIRB/PLB will be unregistered causing a potential delay to rescue activation whilst RCC attempts to validate the alert prior to dedicating resources"

1. No that is not totally correct

2. Beacon registrations are catalogued in a processing queue and this catalogue is available 24/7 to S&RO

3. There should be no potential delay at all with regard rescue activation

Interesting............

1. As of today 406 Eprib registrations are 2 months behind. A "bit busy" is being conservative.

This is a statement that you made in july.

Now let us revisit my statement. If a beacon is catalogued in a processing queue, then it is technically "unregistered" as was indicated to me by the AMSA rep. To sort through an extensive cataloguing queue......takes time. If the HEX numbers are readily referenced in a queue then why not carry out the registration then and there?

Whilst on the phone to the AMSA rep, he was unable to locate my change of ownership details which had been emailed.......in the end I gave him the contact details over the phone......this took ten minutes. This beacon was registered and not in a cataloguing queue.

I put it to you that there will be an inherent delay.

FNQCairns
06-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I have some particulars I need to update on my almost 1 year old online registration, can this also be done online? because if I am forced to spend money to ring or run around to post a letter it's probably not going to happen - is their level of competence high enough I will be able to 'update' relevant information drama-less fashion online?

cheers fnq

SatNav
06-08-2008, 02:41 PM
1. Any beacon details that you might call technically "unregistered" are available 24/7 I wouldn't confuse technically "unregistered" beacons with delaying activation

2. There's more than simply referencing Hex numbers involved

3. Yes 2 months behind

Chine
06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I have some particulars I need to update on my almost 1 year old online registration, can this also be done online? because if I am forced to spend money to ring or run around to post a letter it's probably not going to happen - is their level of competence high enough I will be able to 'update' relevant information drama-less fashion online?

cheers fnq

FNQ,

This is one of the great advantages in online registration.

If you still have your login details, at any time you can go in and edit your registration be it contact details or whatever. If you do not have your details, phone AMSA on the toll free number and they should advise of the details....with some background checking.

This change is instantaneous and complete.

You can edit your registration via the link in my original post.

SatNav
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
"is their level of competence high enough I will be able to 'update' relevant information drama-less fashion online?"

https://www.beacons.amsa.gov.au/

1. Go to that link and simply follow the directions. No competence required.

FNQCairns
06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
FNQ,

This is one of the great advantages in online registration.

If you still have your login details, at any time you can go in and edit your registration be it contact details or whatever. If you do not have your details, phone AMSA on the toll free number and they should advise of the details....with some background checking.

This change is instantaneous and complete.

You can edit your registration via the link in my original post.

Thanks Chine, just finished and it all went very smoothly:o a nice pleasant surprise, no need to procrastinate in the future over particular changes.

cheers fnq

Chine
06-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks FNQ.........definitely the most useful post on this thread so far.

Much appreciated.

Chimo
06-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks Guys for this useful thread.........

Just went into the site to check my regn for my MT400 that I bought in May 04.

Found that the Faxed regn was not operative even though I had received a regn confirmation letter from AMSA on the 24th May 04

Good thing I have not sunk in the meantime as I think I would have been pissed when nobody turned up rescue me!

Anyhoo my message to any one who did a faxed registration early on is to check it on the web and do the necessay updates. You may / will probably need to ring the 1800 no to make access possible to do the updates.

Also a question.

My battery life is up to April 2009 so who do you get to replace the batteries in GME MT 400 EPIRBs when the time comes or are these now redundant? I see GME advises getting rid of batteries at Battery World so do they fit new ones too?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Chimo

Outsider1
06-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I registered my RB6 in September last year via mail and received e-mail confirmation in November.

I have since registered for the online service and updated a few bits of missing information.

A couple of things i have noticed with the online site;

1) it does not work properly with Firefox (version 3.01). I had to use Internet Explorer for the online module to work properly. I would not let me tick the box to select the Beacon number for editing in Firefox.

2)"If you need to replace the sticker on your beacon, select the beacon and then click the Edit button and click the Order Replacement Sticker button". Only problem is there is no Order Replacement Sticker Button when I select Edit as instructed!

Does anyone know whether they are retrospectively sending out registration stickers for those that registered early??

Cheers

Dave

Chine
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Guys for this useful thread.........

Just went into the site to check my regn for my MT400 that I bought in May 04.

Found that the Faxed regn was not operative even though I had received a regn confirmation letter from AMSA on the 24th May 04

Good thing I have not sunk in the meantime as I think I would have been pissed when nobody turned up rescue me!

Anyhoo my message to any one who did a faxed registration early on is to check it on the web and do the necessay updates. You may / will probably need to ring the 1800 no to make access possible to do the updates.

Also a question.

My battery life is up to April 2009 so who do you get to replace the batteries in GME MT 400 EPIRBs when the time comes or are these now redundant? I see GME advises getting rid of batteries at Battery World so do they fit new ones too?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo,

Four years unregistered is a serious failing of the system. Clearly, one of the main cornerstones of the 406MHz RLB concept is up to date registration.....

It is apparent that the offline registration process requires refinement to close all the small loopholes which are arising.

When I purchased my EPIRB from a large local outlet they both failed to register Beacon/Purchaser details with AMSA and failed to brief me on the registration process. I took the box home removed the paperwork, registered on behalf of the seller and myself and then rang the store Manager to offer a "constructive comment" with the usual response.

Nor were the emailed registrations responded to......whether this was an isolated incident, I am unsure.

Sorry can't offer a solution on the MT400 battery. You were an early starter with the 406!

I registered my RB6 in September last year via mail and received e-mail confirmation in November.

I have since registered for the online service and updated a few bits of missing information.

1) it does not work properly with Firefox (version 3.01). I had to use Internet Explorer for the online module to work properly. I would not let me tick the box to select the Beacon number for editing in Firefox.

2)"If you need to replace the sticker on your beacon, select the beacon and then click the Edit button and click the Order Replacement Sticker button". Only problem is there is no Order Replacement Sticker Button when I select Edit as instructed!

Does anyone know whether they are retrospectively sending out registration stickers for those that registered early??

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

A couple of good pickups with the online registration. The toll free business hours AMSA beacon registration number is 1800 406 406. You will find them very receptive to constructive comment and no doubt there will be more to come. 1800 406 4061800 406 406

SatNav
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
1. If you register today on line the Proof of Registration Sticker is generally in the mail within a few days

2. If you registered prior to the on line service then expect it eventually to arrive, one day.

jtpython
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the thread too as i found out my epirb was out of date by 6 months i choked down ad bought the new one and bracketed it to the epirb side pocket and wrote all the details down and remember reading this thread and registered with the site and recieved the email and the letter comformation on the net so thanks guys and extra safety achieved.
Cheers JT

Chimo
08-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Sat Nav

As a matter of interest I bought a 406 in 2004 and faxed in details and got a letter confirming regn. A few days ago after reading this thread I went on line to do some updates and could not get in.

I rang and spoke to a helpful guy who looked me and the unit up and was told me it was not registered so we proceeded to fix that first on the phone and then later I could do the updates on line.

At a minimum IMHO all people running 406's need to get on line (if they can) to check that their unit is in fact registered. If you cannot get thru on line at least you can ring and fix the problem without too many hassels.

Have a nice day ...............

Cheers
Chimo

SatNav
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
1. Yes I agree all people with 406's need to check/verify registrations

2. For boating purposes if the EPIRB does not have a Proof of Registration sticker then this must be followed up so as to ensure the EPIRB is actually registered and therfore legal

3. No paper work required as can be done very simply on line or via a free phone call

4. There is no excuse for any 406 EPIRB regardless of use not being registered, this is what 406 technology is all about

Chine
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Gents,

Further to my earlier post, a word of warning................

Having double checked all my online registration details were correct, I awaited the "Proof of Beacon Registration" for the PLB's. These arrived 12 days later and were...........incorrect. The stickers were correct, the emergency contact details in the majority of the attached letters were not. They were all over the place.

Basically, we now have 16 PLB's and 6 EPIRBS registered under the same contact details and emergency contacts. Prior to this online registration, we had 6 EPIRBS email registered under the same contact details but with different emergency contacts.

The people handling the letters have somehow managed to cross pollinate the new registration contact details with the old cancelled emergency contacts.>:(

I put this down to clerical overload and will be ringing 1800 406 406 first thing monday to straighten out this situation.

The sticker is 50mm x 25mm and comes with the standard adhesive backing which I would suggest may be prone to peeling under heavy spray conditions. My suggestion would be to put the sticker in a waterproof cover and store it on the boat away from conditions. There can be no argument with authorities because all the details are there........why attach it to the EPIRB/PLB? Having said that, AMSA require that the sticker be attached to the beacon next to the HEX ID/UIN.............

Lesson...........double check to see your contact details in the letter are spot on.

SatNav
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
1. Yes I agree the POR sticker is not of the quality or material that will survive 2 years of typical use let alone hard use

2. The sticker does need to be more industrial quality

Zodiac fisho
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Chimo,

GME have a factory at Unit 1, 89 Factory Rd Oxley. Ph 32786444
It is not just a matter of changing the battery. They check the operation and replace the seals and all labels.

Battery world will take back the old 121/243 EPIRBS for disposal.

Chine
11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Gents,

Further to my earlier post, a word of warning................

Having double checked all my online registration details were correct, I awaited the "Proof of Beacon Registration" for the PLB's. These arrived 12 days later and were...........incorrect. The stickers were correct, the emergency contact details in the majority of the attached letters were not. They were all over the place.

Basically, we now have 16 PLB's and 6 EPIRBS registered under the same contact details and emergency contacts. Prior to this online registration, we had 6 EPIRBS email registered under the same contact details but with different emergency contacts.

The people handling the letters have somehow managed to cross pollinate the new registration contact details with the old cancelled emergency contacts.>:(

I put this down to clerical overload and will be ringing 1800 406 406 first thing monday to straighten out this situation.

The sticker is 50mm x 25mm and comes with the standard adhesive backing which I would suggest may be prone to peeling under heavy spray conditions. My suggestion would be to put the sticker in a waterproof cover and store it on the boat away from conditions. There can be no argument with authorities because all the details are there........why attach it to the EPIRB/PLB? Having said that, AMSA require that the sticker be attached to the beacon next to the HEX ID/UIN.............

Lesson...........double check to see your contact details in the letter are spot on.

Just off the phone with AMSA and this is a recognised clerical system problem. The registrations are correct.......the letters are not.

They are in the throes of attempting to fix the issue and apparently have had quite a few calls from multi RLB registered owners.

In the case of a single registration it hopefully should not arise although it may pay you to check.....if it does then call them and they will reissue the letter when the problem is rectified.

Outsider1
25-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Cheers

Dave

Well I received my registration sticker in the mail today. It has a 2 year expiry date!?, i.e. August 2010, interesting!.

For info.

Cheers

Dave

Chine
26-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Well I received my registration sticker in the mail today. It has a 2 year expiry date!?, i.e. August 2010, interesting!.

For info.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I may be missing your point although the beacon must be re-registered every two years which is validated with a replacement sticker.

The clock has re-started when you went online.

Outsider1
26-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Dave,

I may be missing your point although the beacon must be re-registered every two years which is validated with a replacement sticker.

The clock has re-started when you went online.

Hi Chine,

I had not realised that there was a 2 year re-registration period before. Seems a relatively short period and a lot of "paper work" to me, but time will tell. My EPIRB is going to last 10 years with battery replacement.

You have me wondering now as to whether my sticker's production was prompted by them catching up on early paper registrations, or my going online and updating the register, it seems the later as you suggest (so when will the early paper registrations get their stickers then?). I wonder if a new sticker will be produced every time the register is updated??

Cheers

Dave

Chine
26-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Chine,

I had not realised that there was a 2 year re-registration period before. Seems a relatively short period and a lot of "paper work" to me, but time will tell. My EPIRB is going to last 10 years with battery replacement.

You have me wondering now as to whether my sticker's production was prompted by them catching up on early paper registrations, or my going online and updating the register, it seems the later as you suggest (so when will the early paper registrations get their stickers then?). I wonder if a new sticker will be produced every time the register is updated??

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I think the two year registration expiry is in place as a trigger to remind people who have not updated change of ownership etc etc.

I had a 406 registered for some time prior to the availability of online registration and never received a sticker...so would suggest that your sticker has been prompted by you going online.

I would assume that the only time you will be re-issued with a new sticker is when;

The old one's glue breaks down, delaminates off the beacon and you lose it
The beacon is registered to a new owner.You will not receive a new sticker when changing/updating contact details etc.

Cheers

SatNav
26-08-2008, 10:23 AM
1. As EPIRB registration is a mandatory requirement under most state legislation this Proof of Beacon Registration sticker is exactly for that purpose, proof of registration.

2. If no sticker, unable to read sticker etc then officers would deem the beacon not registered and most likely ticket accordingly

3. Proof of Beacon Registration stickers should therefore be treated with some respect and ensure these are clearly readable otherwise ask for a new one

4. Before sticking I would also photocopy the complete original document (with sticker attached) and store this somewhere safe with the beacon as a backup