PDA

View Full Version : Suttons beach offshore

Rainbowrunner
14-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Hadn’t taken the boat for run for such a long time, so Sunday for a couple of hours around lunch I took my girlfriend on her first time in the boat out to redcliffe off Suttons beach. We caught quite a few pike(which I was chasing for bait on monday)and a Moses perch. Nothing seemed interested in a live pike with a 6/0 through its back tho. It was a very nice day even tho it was a bit cloudy. Needless to say I’m lucky I’ve found someone who likes boating and fishing but knowing my luck she will end up out fishing me like the boy does.
Monday the boy “Kaimen” and I went out for a few hours till dark for fish in the boat off Suttons beach again. We caught a few live pike and then looked around for a spot to fish ending up in about 15ft of water fishing against a rocky ledge rising to about 10ft. The burley pot was deployed and we used strips of pike and a couple of live ones as well. Kaimen got a 44cm squire then we couldn’t get anything else on the strip baits. Just lots of small bites. The livies were attacked a few times once by a squid and a few small tailor about 30-35cm. Kaimen also got a tailor on a bumper bar lure. As the sun went down something took off with a livie and had lots of weight and then spat the hook in a couple of seconds, calls were for a decent estuary cod hopefully it would be back. About 10 min later the other livie took off and after a short fight we had a nice estuary cod in the boat well over 10kg, she swam off to live another day and we ended up keeping the squire and a tailor which will all probably end up in the smoker. Again another nice day on the water.

straddie
15-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Heya RainbowRunner

Sounds like you had a bit of fun. Those cod just can't help themselves can they, see fod must eat it :D A woman that loves boating and fishing shes a keeper Peter.

Barraboy7
16-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Good stuff, mate that cod would have been good to eat as well!
We used to get lot of them up at Townsville and they were nice. I fish Suttons but mostly on shore for bream and flatties, do OK too!
Is there a reef out the front of there, or rock bottom etc. How do you get the pike?
Be great to hear, they would be great livies, do snapper eat them as well?
I have a boat but havent tried off Suttons...
Barraboy7

Rainbowrunner
19-07-2008, 12:43 PM
thanks guys,
Yeh barraboy cod that big are still good to eat and I usually keep them too, but I think it was a combination of having to fillet it, didnt bring the big esky and she looked really big in the guts so may have been full off roe too.
We get the pike on sets of bait jigs, just find them on the sounder they are usually in the bottom 2 ft. And snapper eat em too. But we seem to catch more on pike fillets and plastics. There are plenty of rocky outcrops, weedbed and gravel all within a few hundred metres of the beach.