PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pumps

jerson
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm after some advice for bilge pumps. My boat is a 4.35m runabout with a ply floor, I have a 360 gal rule pump at the moment, this has coped with all i've needed to date, mostly heavy down pours. Is it worth going any bigger. What size pump would my boat be fitted with if supply new from a dealer. I know it would depend on the size of the hole in the hull but where do you stop.

Jerson

Blackened
12-07-2008, 03:01 PM
G'day

I have a 360 rule in my 12' tinny and it's good

With your 435, go a few sizes bigger, the skin fitting may need to be changed, just measure the size of the outlet on the pump and go up a size or 2 if that pipe stays the same size of the current one if you don't want to change a thing

Dave

iricangi
12-07-2008, 03:04 PM
THE BIGGER THE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't go wrong with a larger bilge ;)

Just make sure you have the required battery output for your ACCESSORIES

jerson
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I can go to a 800gal rule without changing base or the outlet, that should be adequate.

Jerson

krazyfisher
13-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Its not that I would go bigger, but I would put in a second one that way it will double the water moved and if one does not work you still have the other.

Angla
13-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I think you will find that the boat manufacturer will install adequate pump. I have upgraded mine in a 5.75 metre boat to the Johnson L1600. It says it will pump 1600 Gallons per hour.
They seem to last a good life. I have just replaced it for the first time in four years. Plenty of abuse in that time with running it for sometimes an hour with no water flow. It's hard to hear the thing when you are underway and have it on manual override. It also has a automatic switch in the bilge area.

Chris

FNQCairns
13-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah where do you stop? I dunno! Daisy chain 3 of those together in such a way if one shorts the others will still work. You cannot have enough flow out of the boat, I found this out when half sunk from a bung incident (how embarisment!:()

My best friend in this instance was the transom door, full throttle, and a 10L bucket peppered with gobs of adrenalin to get the still unbunged boat safe enough to find and take the time to insert it.
I moved 300L of water in less than 2 minutes out that door I suspect.

Enough is what makes you feel comfortable I guess.

cheers fnq

chop69
17-07-2008, 04:26 PM
guys,
i don't want to start a "slanging" thread but out of everbodys experience, how long should a bilge pump last & which brand of bilge pumps do you prefer?

kev.

Angla
17-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Chop69, I think it would depend on the boats value or worth. I put a fairly high price on my boating and want something that will work in an emergency but I have insurance to cover when it's a catastrophe. The insurance company can then see that I tried to pump the water out, when the raise her off the bottom.

Chris

chop69
17-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Chris,
the reason why i asked the questions is that i've replaced 2 pumps (1 x johnson & 1 rhule) in the past 12mths. the base snapped off the johnson & impellor went on the rhule. gone back to a johnson (4 mths ago). i've seen an attwood brand but have not tried it as yet.

cheers,
kev.

SgBFish
17-07-2008, 08:23 PM
guys,
i don't want to start a "slanging" thread but out of everbodys experience, how long should a bilge pump last & which brand of bilge pumps do you prefer?

kev.
Chop the most reliable bilge pump that can go for hours is a scared man with a bucket!!!!!!!!!!;D

Ps. Johnson have my vote at the moment.;)

Wayne_Red
17-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Jerson a 360 will cope ok in a 4.35m with nuisance water eg rain water or washing the floor off etc. When the 360 dies I would go up in size.
I have always run a 1100 in my 445 haines, one night I was out by myself in the wrong place at the wrong time and copped one over the back of the boat, I had an inch of the battery above the water. I was very happy to have the bigger pump. SgB your right, a scared man with a bucket can move a lot of water, don't know who won that night, me and the bucket or the pump.
Regards Wayne