PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give a report on how the new viking profish 45 is

spearking
12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm tossing up what sort of yak to purchase and am trying to decide between a hobie or the viking model, i'll be haeading out to currumbin creek and palmy reef

Dunks
12-07-2008, 02:06 PM
From all reports the Profish go great. Handle the surf well and is a really well designed fishing yak. The Revo or the Adventure is what I would go with if you have the dosh but. I have an outback as I mainly fish dams and creeks and love the peddle power.

See Craig at Adventure Outlet down on the coast and he will be able to arrange a test paddle/peddle in them for you.

Just_chips
13-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a Profish and have not been able to fault it so far. It is an extremely stable kayak that is built specifically for fisherman. I still haven't done the surf zone thing yet though, so I'll just have to see how that goes. There are reviews of both the kayaks that you have mentioned in the wiki section of the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum on the net.

Good luck with your choice I'm sure you will enjoy no matter which kayak you choose.

Kev

Leighton
13-07-2008, 08:22 PM
or try Brisbane Fishing on line
plenty of yakkers

LeeannP
14-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Rob and I have a couple of Profish yaks and to tell you the truth, fishing out of them has been a blast. It really has refreshened our outlook on fishing as well. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter what yak you get you just may find that you catch more fish as well (compared to fishing from a tinny). We've been smashing 'em.
All that said so far I haven't fallen out of mine, they're quite stable and I even ventured down a couple of sets of rapids a weekend or two ago and the yak didn't come close to tipping. I'm a klutz and am loving it!
I haven't ventured offshore as yet but so far they've been great in the dams and estuaries. I think I'll stick to my 5m glass boat for offshore!! ;)
Just make sure that everything is tied down properly so if you do tip over (and I'm sure you will sooner or later in the surf) you don't lose your gear.

Bris_Vegas
15-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a Viking Profish and love it. Went out with 2 others in Profishes at Straddy over the holidays and had a blast.

I have also sold about 6 of them and have only had positive reviews.

They are very bouyant and easily able to cut throigh wavees for a surf launch.

Easily my favourite aspect in the centrall well. This is obviously a great place to keep bait and fish for the table. But if you are more of a lure and C&R man, it makes an ecxcellent space for lure trays etc without cluttering your fishing angles.

Cheers.

Angus

LeeannP
15-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Easily my favourite aspect in the centrall well. This is obviously a great place to keep bait and fish for the table.

You've just got to make sure you remember to take out the old bait and bait bags when you finish, unlike Mr Bennett of Viking Kayaks. We opened the hatch on his Profish when we were in the shop the other week and OMG!! :freak: :o I think you'd only do it once ;D

Bris_Vegas
16-07-2008, 10:26 AM
You've just got to make sure you remember to take out the old bait and bait bags when you finish, unlike Mr Bennett of Viking Kayaks. We opened the hatch on his Profish when we were in the shop the other week and OMG!! :freak: :o I think you'd only do it once ;D

Hahaha thats classic.

Even worse, when i was at Straddy last week I finshed my session, put the kayak back on the roof and drove back to my place. Upon arriving i went to get my freshly caught dinner ( 2 x 40cm moses perch) out of my esky only to find they were not there. Woops! Still in the hatch! So yeah had to climb on the roof and get them out :-[ . But all was well as I had not taken the ice out either :)

Angus

macca
16-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Go a Hobie, any other kayak is a waste of time, if you can afford one get one.

Cheers

Danimoth
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Go a Hobie, any other kayak is a waste of time, if you can afford one get one.

Cheers

I'd agree with the comment about a Hobie.

I used to paddle a Prowler 13. IMO a very good paddle kayak, and I'd happily recommend it to anyone wanting a paddle yak. I however sold that and went with a Hobie Revolution. Why? Because my mate got a hobie.. On calm days it's no worries, doesn't matter what kayak you get. But on windy days you get blown around in paddle yak, and you can't really paddle AND fish. Enter the mirage drive. Too many times offshore we have just slowly pedaled to slow down our drift, keep us facing straight into the wind and had a perfect drift and bagged plenty of snapper. In contrast, paddle yaks have had to just go with the flow whilst holding rods.

You can fight your fish whilst moving around as well.. One time I hooked up to a bream literally 50m from breaking waves about a kilometre offshore on one of the local rocks. Stopped to fight the fish, and, whoops drifting right into the crash zone. But no worries, I'll fight the fish and pedal out of there. Or fish heading for a marker? no worries, pedal around the thing and keep your line clear.

Pedals are incredibly useful and in my opinion well worth the money.

You wont see me going back to paddling, unless my mirage drive breaks down. No worries though - revolutions are easy to paddle:)

Cheers

Terry H

Dolphinheads
16-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I got a profish nd love it.When buying a yak though you need to be sure of what you want from it. I got the Profish because I wanted something that I had to paddle. I figured it was a good way of loosing the beer gut and enjoying fishing. If you are a serious fisherman who want to chase all sizes of fish and not use large amounts of energy to do it then a peddled Hobie would be the go