PDA

View Full Version : TESTING NEW WATERS .... kinda

NAGG
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Ausfishers!
What a wimp :smash: I ring the Mighty Whitey ( he should change his name to "Mary") .... to see if he wanted to come & have a fish today! ........ No , He was too tired:gorgeous: ....... Well he missed out on another good session!:D
So , With no crew I decided to leave the atomic powered bream in the toxic waste dump alone .... & do a little prospecting in my local waters around Botany bay!
On the water around 1pm , I decided to take a look at the Eastern Side of Woolooware Bay while I still had a bit of a tide - This area drains dry!!!! . Well , have I found a great spot to fish in summer..... with poppers!!!:P This place is most definitely a mine field .... lots of Oyster encrusted rocks surrounded by huge yabby beds ..... with some pockets of weed 30276 _ Oh yeh , & a bucket load of big bream ....... You should have seen them ! So in a nut shell & 4 -SX40s later ...... I was unable to turn a fish before they had me cut off! ....... I was even using the Miss Stella which was having its first outing after being respooled with 8lb Fireline Crystal ( :thumbsup: Thanks Pete {Pistol_P} for the recommendation ..... no wind knots :) , so I might drop down to 6lb) - In the 2 hours that I fished this area , I felt that this must be what flats fishing for bone fish would be like ....... 2 feet of water , drifting along ...... spooking many bream , not accepting most presentations ....... & then you get a hook up ...... & its over in seconds! ........ The SX40 was the only lure / SP they were interested in ...... & only fished dead!!!! ( The poppers were at home:'( )
Anyhow ...... This place will definitely be revisited on a bigger tide! ...... Tough fishing in bright clear conditions but .... Whooo Hoo!
So after a bit of a feed & no water (tide) , I thought a little more prospecting was called for ! Destination - the Woronora River 30279...... Which I've poaked my nose into once before , but the tide rips through there! ........ So with a 10 min run , I've entered the Wonny on pretty well the bottom of the tide ( the western bank is quite deep at around 2 M .... up tight against the carved out edge) ....... I start to cast towards the rock walls , boulders & man made structure ....... with pretty well instant success - bream after bream were hitting on the lightly weighted Squidgy lobby (Wasabi & Dusk)....... Not big fish , but plenty of action:) 30277 30278 I stopped counting bream / flatties & started counting packets of Squidgys::)
A bit of a chat with a guy who was preparing his little CC ..... at his winch on private boat ramp / boat shed ...... waterfront property :P he was blown away that you could catch bream there!!!!
I kept fishing into the night ...... but aside from catching the fish of the day ,,,,, 30280 The fish were small30281 & the flatones thick as !!! ..... Being dark as it was , I found myself casting onto the rocks ...... & snagging up :'( A couple of times that I moved in close to the rocks to de snagg , I'd spook bream that were feeding on the oysters ........ Arrrgghhh
Well it got to a point where I was freezing my butt off ...... busted off my two placcy outfits + I hate fishing heavy anyhow - - 3 grams was flying with a tide that was running at 4 knots .......................... THAT'S IT
A most interesting day .... with changes in the weather (overcast- sunny - threatening - windy - calm ...... hell I thought I was in Melbourne!! ) + changes in my fishing fortunes ! ...... 2008 continues to be a great winters breamin!!!!!!!8-)

Nagg

BAR UP
06-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey NAGG great story. I personally dont like Crystal i find it also is prone to wind knots but prefer to use Stren Microfuse. I use 3lb for Bream with a 3lb or 6lb flurocarbon leader depends on surrounds. For Flathead & Snapper i use 6lb braid & 10lb leader, Peter.

NAGG
06-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey NAGG great story. I personally dont like Crystal i find it also is prone to wind knots but prefer to use Stren Microfuse. I use 3lb for Bream with a 3lb or 6lb flurocarbon leader depends on surrounds. For Flathead & Snapper i use 6lb braid & 10lb leader, Peter.

Thanks Peter ......... Little miss Stella was causing me all sorts of greif ! I'm not joking but I've tried maybe 10 different braids (types / breaking strain) + FC on that reel ( 3 in 3 days.... when I first got it a year or so ago) It got to a point where it was virtually unusable ..... unless it was casting heavier wts ( I even tried it on 4 different rods)
I'm not a big fan of Fireline ( or any fused braids to be honest) ..... but I do have 4lb smoke Fireline on my Certate which remains trouble free ....... So that's why I gave it a try ... it's not a round profile ( I got a good price too).
Thanks for the heads up on the Microfuse

Cheers

Nagg

MeePee_99
06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Nice Nagg great report,
Nice yabbie bed, great fun!!!!

Pistol_P
06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Super stuff Nagg.....Good to hear the stella likes the fireline.8-)

Get ready for some big EP's in the wonny.....Coming up to prime time in September.Around those bridges in the wonny you will do well.

Cheers
Pete

NAGG
06-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Super stuff Nagg.....Good to hear the stella likes the fireline.8-)

Get ready for some big EP's in the wonny.....Coming up to prime time in September.Around those bridges in the wonny you will do well.

Cheers
Pete

Doh! ....... I had another sneaky peek right up the Wonny today ( as far as you could go!!!) Miss Stella still played up a few times ...... not disastrously - but:(

Chris

PS .... There is some great looking water up the Wonny which will be pretty cool in Spring / Summer:P

nuggstar
07-07-2008, 12:12 PM
top report nagg. i had a few good one's like that one you have on ya brag mat smash my xrap in twinn waters. spuwing i still had the doggy hooks on thay give ya with the lure other wise id had a few. love ya work mate

Scott nthQld
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
deleted....Ausfish does not own my thoughts and opinions

NAGG
07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
top report nagg. i had a few good one's like that one you have on ya brag mat smash my xrap in twinn waters. spuwing i still had the doggy hooks on thay give ya with the lure other wise id had a few. love ya work mate

Thanks Nugg

what X Rap are you using ?
Mate .... The one on the brag mat was average when compared to what I spotted the next day further up the system!

Gotta love lite line breamin:P

Nagg

NAGG
07-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah great story Nagg. Used to enjoy breamin alot when I lived on Lake Illawarra.

I had fireline crystal on my light outfit (6lb) and it was great, never got a wind knot, anyway after the spool was looking a bit depleted I decided to give finns ago in 6lb and first time I used the new line, low and behold my vry first wind knot ever and I wasn't fishing that light, i had 10lb fluoro leader and 1/8 jig head with a 4in squidgy flick bait.

Fins never worked for me ( my first changeover)
Ones that I've used ..... Superline 2lb & 6lb , Fins 6lb , Vanish FC 4lb , Suffix 6lb & 10lb , rapala 6lb & 8lb , Daiwa Sensor 6lb ..... & now fireline Crystal 8lb

None have worked

I was hoping to fish 2-4lb off this reel::)

Nagg

Nagg

MeePee_99
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Nagg, have you try braid like the bass hard stuff (orange) and castaway braid, i've never had a major prob with them (a wind knot every now and then but not near often) and i use a 1000 aspire!!!

NAGG
07-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Nagg, have you try braid like the bass hard stuff (orange) and castaway braid, i've never had a major prob with them (a wind knot every now and then but not near often) and i use a 1000 aspire!!!

What poundage ??? ...... I'm after 4-6lb
Can I send you the bill ///// if it doesn't work ????;) ;) ;)

Nagg

Pistol_P
07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Nagg if 6lb 'Smoke' Fireline gets wind knots ditch the reel and get another Daiwa.

The daiwas just seem to lay the line so much better IMO

Pete

imnotoriginal
07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
nice work Nagg, some good looking water you get yourself into. Great Bream on the mat. Another great read.
Joel

MeePee_99
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Nagg i use 6lb in the bass stuff (its thinner than 4lb fireline) but cost around 65-70 dollars for 150m, and i use 10lb in the sunline castaway (but is the same diametre as finns 4lb) its light blue and coast about 35 dollars for 150 yards. The castaway is very round and smooth. Its prob the best line i have ever used but does fad in colour a little (but doesnt fray or anything) you should have a real problem with either (esp the castatway)!!!

NAGG
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Nagg if 6lb 'Smoke' Fireline gets wind knots ditch the reel and get another Daiwa.

The daiwas just seem to lay the line so much better IMO

Pete

Pete ..... What a Shimano embarrassment ....... An expensive reel .... That is a piece of Shite
i'm going to wind off the 4lb smoke fireline off the Certate & wind it on the Miss Stella!!!! After that :hanged:

Nagg

NAGG
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
nice work Nagg, some good looking water you get yourself into. Great Bream on the mat. Another great read.
Joel

Thanks Joel ...... Without a doubt Sydney Suburban waters are great for breamin8-) i'm still to post ... Pt Hacking , Sydney Harbour ( Lane Cove , Middle Harbour , Parramatta River) ..... Let alone the lower Hawkesbury .......... all less than 45mins of the Sydney CBD

Hopefully you can all enjoy the ride:P TOOO

Nagg

tailorboi99
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Awesome spot there mate. Can't wait to see a few reports coming from that area ;)

Cheers Tom

nuggstar
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks Nugg

what X Rap are you using ?
Mate .... The one on the brag mat was average when compared to what I spotted the next day further up the system!

Gotta love lite line breamin:P

Naggyer the xrap 8. the shop i got it from only had the mullet looking colour (green olive i think they call it) and i was not happy with it so i scrached all the paint off and now it looks sweet (like a hardy head). i was just using the rod to twitch it and only realing in to get rid of the slack line. so just using the rod to bring it back. the twitches are small so its just darting a bit then do a small pause, the bream were fallowing but they only hit it when it stoped. the lures do need a hook up grade to owners. i only got hits from twitching it not from slow rolling. give it a go mate. im going to give mine a good kaneing this weekend so hopefuly i get a few to show ya that they do work on the bream if i can get some new owners befor the weekend.

nuggstar
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
i cut down the tail fether too to stop short takes

NAGG
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
yer the xrap 8. the shop i got it from only had the mullet looking colour (green olive i think they call it) and i was not happy with it so i scrached all the paint off and now it looks sweet (like a hardy head). i was just using the rod to twitch it and only realing in to get rid of the slack line. so just using the rod to bring it back. the twitches are small so its just darting a bit then do a small pause, the bream were fallowing but they only hit it when it stoped. the lures do need a hook up grade to owners. i only got hits from twitching it not from slow rolling. give it a go mate. im going to give mine a good kaneing this weekend so hopefuly i get a few to show ya that they do work on the bream if i can get some new owners befor the weekend.

Thanks Nugg ....... I forgot that there is a 8 ....... I've got some 10s for jacks8-)

Nagg

NAGG
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Awesome spot there mate. Can't wait to see a few reports coming from that area ;)

Cheers Tom

Me too Tom , me too :P :D