PDA

View Full Version : Glorious day on the Bay

Outsider1
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Old mate arrived at 7.30am as arranged, right on the morning high tide peak. I was just finishing drying off the boat windows and clears from the heavy overnight dew that had settled. It only took a few minutes of loading the remaining gear and we were away into the still crisp morning air.

The bay was flat as the proverbial as I eased the boat onto the plane into Raby Bay. Hardly a boat to be seen in any direction. Quickly into the motor's sweet spot and we were cruising at 25 knots across a mirror-like bay. 15 minutes later and it was off the plane and onto the Amity Banks north of Peel.

The rods were already rigged (paternoster with 2 no. 6 gamakatsu worm hooks and a light sinker). The bait table was set up, the squid was skinned and cut into fine strips, a few of the peeled cooked prawns out of the esk, and I broke out the bag of bloodies.

Hardly a breathe of breeze as we set up the first drift. I was expecting whatever breeze there was to come from the N to NNW as per the forecasts, but was surprised to see the light whisper was actually coming from the south. I re-adjusted our position and we were into it.!

First drift saw a steady flow of winteries coming over the side. 23cm and over into the dinner bin and smaller ones into the bait bin for some prime snap baits. First drift ended with about 20 in the boat. Peak time was due about 9.30am according to Nugget's prediction charts and it seems to be holding true, although they were never more than steady on the bite. Not another boat in sight most of the time!, although one went past at a full cruise on the plane and straight through the go slow zone!.>:(

By 11.00am the wind had dropped out completely and it was hard to get a drift in any direction. We had been joined by a couple of other boats on the drift. Two Dolphins surfaced near by and continued to feed around us for the next 30 minutes or so. They eventually disappeared and then a Turtle made a few noisy appearances for a while.

By midday a slight whiff of breeze had a nice drifting going for us again. The winteries continued at a steady pace, but were a bit more picky and generally preferring the bloodworms now.

We pulled the pin at 1.00pm and 15 minutes later we were back on the mooring.

Final tally was 45 in the fillet bin and 30 in the bait bin. A couple of feeds and now I am hopefully set for some winter bay Snaps in coming weeks.

It really was glorious out there!.

Cheers

Dave

nuggstar
01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
huge bag dude. well done. i bet they are yum yum yummy

BLOOEY
01-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Too good mate. Wish it was me out there today. Ben

hooknose
01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Good haul of whiting there mate, but I am confused, can you keep divers under 23cm legally for bait or should they be thrown back like the summer variety. I have always thought the legal size applied to all whiting regardless of what sub species. Cheers !!!

Outsider1
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Good haul of whiting there mate, but I am confused, can you keep divers under 23cm legally for bait or should they be thrown back like the summer variety. I have always thought the legal size applied to all whiting regardless of what sub species. Cheers !!!

No problem mate, a lot of people seems to get confused on this one. In Qld there are no size or bag limits on Winter Whiting. A size limit of 23cm applies to Golden Lined and Sand (Summer) Whiting only, no bag limits though.

Details on size, take and possession limits here on the DPI site;

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3042_ENA_HTML.htm

Cheers

Dave

tailorboi99
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Great bag out mate! Good to see you had some fun :)

ozscott
01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Very nice mate - love whiting. Do snapper like whiting in preference to say fresh squid and fresh mullett?

Cheers

Outsider1
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Very nice mate - love whiting. Do snapper like whiting in preference to say fresh squid and fresh mullett?

Cheers

Hi ozscott,

I am no Bay Snapper expert, but from what I have read and heard over time they are considered the gun bait. Fresh is always best of course. Nothing wrong with mullet or squid, especially if they are fresh but the guns seem to say go the Winter Whiting, live, whole butterflied, or a crushed head.

I also find the frames make great crab pot bait, equal to mullet IMO. Nothing gets wasted!

Speaking of which, here is the finished product; just under a kilo of fillet off 30 of today's catch, plus a couple of bags of frames for the pots and berley bag.

Tried something different in the filleting tonight. Normally when I catch Whiting we have some for tea that night. I planned ahead this time. When I bought the bait yesterday arvo I bought some prawns (fresh and curried) for tea tonight. Rather than fillet the Whiting as soon as we got back, we scaled them and then I put them straight into the fridge to "set" the flesh. I had been thinking about how the regular reef fishers do this. Struck me that it might make it easier to fillet whiting if they had been refrigerated for a reasonable period (make them firmer and easier to slice!?).

Now normally would have left the filleting till tomorrow, but I have other things on tomorrow so I have just finished them.

Verdict? Yep think it does make it a little easier and helps to get full fillets of both sides. No short fillets tonight!

Cheers

Dave

wags on the water
01-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Mmmmm whiting fillets. Well done on getting a feed.

Cheers,
Wags

tenzing
02-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Great bag Dave. Looks like some great snapper bait in there too.
Brendan

MeePee_99
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Nice Feed, Great Fish!!!!

ozscott
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
cheers mate - appreciate that

alleycat
02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Great catch mate, i was out there as well and happened onto a spot so thick it was like poling tuna, i pulled in 70 in a couple of hours, lots of double headers as well, and you couldnt ask for better conditions.