PDA

View Full Version : Cook Island, Fingal Head

JOE BLOW
30-06-2008, 04:32 PM
hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone fishes cook island and knows the safest way to luanch a kayak from the beach in front of the island?

cheers
brendan

couta1
03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
g'day mate

i have fished cook island and out to fidos a number of times.launch in front of the lifesaver club and carry kayak down the ramp.cook island is a marine reserve so there is no fishing allowed inside the yellow marker bouys.

you can get snapper on the outside and small kings.Fidos is also out the front of cook but i have never really been successfull out there..it is very exposed to the weather and swell and has a strong current running off it which can be a pain.

here is a picture looking back from fidos to cook island on a good day

Bloody Grinner
03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
cool :) been fishing off the rocks there a few times and always wondered what was out there. heard about the marine park but it's only a short ring around the island, so i don't think it makes much difference.

off the rocks we caught small silver trevally, small kings (under 60cm) and heaps and heaps of dart...

couta1
03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
there is good fish out there on its day.i was out there once with a mate on a kayak and he got a 18 kg cobia out there.there used to be a dude who used to live in he c.park there who used to fish out there on an old white canoe.we were out there one day and he was getting some good spanish of fidos...i never saw him fishing again...maybe moved on

JOE BLOW
09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
thanks for all the info guys, greatly appreciated. i am thinking of heading there this sunday but not 100% sure about the weather... what would be the maximum wind/wave that you would go out in when launching from the beach? i was thinking of fishing for some pike before sunday for bait, can you catch these and other baitfish (slimy/yakka) out there?
cheers brendan

couta1
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
there is a yak fish section and some good surf entry tips and skills and hints on kayak fishing in this months august issue of "fishing world".could be valuable to the beginer.

there is a small bait reef in front of the surf club.that would be my calll for bait as i havnent caught bait out there before.i would be heading for land if the wind starts to blow over 15 knots for kayaking as it becomes to uncomfortable