PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Tin Can Bay

cptpott
26-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Guys,
taking the family to Tin Can Bay over the school holidays and would appreciate any advise re fishing that area. Clearly pumping some yabbies and going for whiting would be high on the list, but I'm keen to hear specific areas and species to target. Also keen to hear of off-shore options.
Cheers
Craig

baitmaster
26-06-2008, 05:54 PM
hey

im not to shore wear to fish but i no up in the creeks u can get some absolute ripper sharks and big full mud crabs but sorry i couldnt help u on the fishing

baitmaster

tailorboi99
26-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I've never fished Tin Can Bay, Good luck when you fish there though. Hope you get onto a few fishies ;)

Cheers Tom

fishel
26-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi,

There are yabbies on the right hand side of the narrow neck near to the end of Tin Can Bay Rd. Also some good ones in Crab Creek if you know where to find them but you would probably need a local to show you how to get there as it is not easy to describe.

Regards Eleanor

Webby08
26-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Just got back from there actually. At the moment there is still a bit of fresh in the water which didnt seem to be helping things at all.

If you have a boat and you will want one for that area. There are a lot of fish to be had up there.

From what I found in the short time I was up there.

Top of the tide look around the seaway and just back towards Tincanbay. We Saw MASSIVE GT's balling baitfish up there and Also reasonable sized Tuna working them over as well. We only saw this on High tides though in some 19 - 30M of water.

Head uptoward Gary's Anchorage and just south of it (inshore side of Fraser) you will see on the map FIG TREE CREEK Just along that shore line is called the rocks.

Go there at low tide and look for them they stick out about 5m from the shore and get your boat so close to them you can reach out and touch them look at your sounder it should read 11-12M Straight down off the edge. About 20M out again it will drop off 5m again in one big drop. We fished this area overnight and with the run out tide starting around midnight. Mid Run out was supprisingly the most productive.
We got a 22lb Esturary Cod that was just shy of 1m long, a handful of smaller models. But we got absolutely hammered by what we think were much bigger models on 30lb mainline 80lb leader. Also got a heap of Shovelnose over a meter and one huge one 1.5M+.

I am going to go back after the rainwater is cleared in a month or so and have another go as I think there is going to be some awesome fishing to be had up there.

Inshore
Bream, Flathead,Whiting, tailor, Jew, Mackrel, Tuna, GT's, Sand & Mud Crabs, Heaps of Reef Fish, Cod, Sqire Jacks And Sharks of all shapes and sizes. Is about what we saw.
Was talking to one old fella and he mentioned Kingfish as well.

Take a cast net with you. Blue Pillies worked ok but the locals swear by squid up there.

Oh an lastly there arent that many lights on the Nav markers of a night becareful they dont call it the sandy straights for nothing SANDBARS EVERYWHERE. And the tides hammer in and out