PDA

View Full Version : liquors in cooking

sparkyice
26-06-2008, 05:03 AM
i use different liquors in recipes for marinades and glazes for the barby.
the booze boils out, so you won't get drunk, no worrys there.
i use stuff i can find here in the states, like southern comfort, bourbons, and even vodka has a place in pork, chicken or fish.
are there any austrailian made liquors you use like this?
what are some good ones that you like for marinading your own insides?
i can get some good ausie wines here, and fosters of course, but i don't think i've seen any hard stuff, at least not that i'd recognize as being austrailian.
i'd appreciate any tips i might get.
tight lines,
joe

Lancair
30-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Bundaberg Rum is about the only "Hard stuff" that springs to mind as being uniquely Aussie. Im sure there's some more, esp boutique brewery type products.

As for using Bundaberg Rum in cooking ? I cant imagine it being good for much. Personally, bundy should be used as drain cleaner, cant stand the smell of the stuff. BUT you get that after getting blind rotten drunk on the stuff too many times as a young fella. Same with Souther Comfort, cant stand it now.

shayned
30-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Ignore him, he obviously can't handle his drink. Bundy Rum is the drink of gods and queenslanders. It is I believe the oldest, as in longest running commercial rum distillery in the world. Which is to be expected considering the history of early settlement in Australia was linked heavily with the british navy and of course rum. For a while it was used as a surrogate currency. This combined with the early develpment of sugar cane plantations led to it being the national spirit.

Believe it or not a couple of drops in pumpkin soup does wonders and of course any desert with bananas goes well with a little rum.

Other than rum the other early focus in alcoholic production, other than beer, was fortified wines. One style perculiar to Australia worth trying if you can get your hands on is Toquay, Brown Brothers do a fine version.8-)

Lancair
30-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I should have taken that bet with my wife. I told her my commenting I didnt like BUNDY would get some bloomin bannana bending canetoads heckles up for sure. ;) ;) :) :D :D ;D ;D

I think youll find Beenleigh Rum has been around longer than Bundy. And a short search turned up two distelleries in the carribean that are over 300yrs old.

sparkyice
30-06-2008, 10:39 PM
"some bloomin bannana bending canetoads "
lmao!
i like rum, am gonna check around and see if i can get ahold of some bundeburg or some beenleigh. or both!
pumpkin soup?
i have a recipe for that somewhere, it's quite good. i have to ask, are they the same pumpkins we have here in the states? big round orange things the kids carve scary faces into?

shayned
01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I should have taken that bet with my wife. I told her my commenting I didnt like BUNDY would get some bloomin bannana bending canetoads heckles up for sure. ;) ;) :) :D :D ;D ;D

I think youll find Beenleigh Rum has been around longer than Bundy. And a short search turned up two distelleries in the carribean that are over 300yrs old.

Dont doubt any of that, and I can't remember the exact quote but the worlds oldest part referred to something about continuous operation, commercial not private and only stirred by ducks every second wednesday. Just threw it in because it sounded impressive.

Now the part about being the drink of Gods and Queenslanders is totally 100% accurate and irrefutable!!!! ;)

Little grey men
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
i have to ask, are they the same pumpkins we have here in the states? big round orange things the kids carve scary faces into?

We do get those here but they usually show up in our supermarkets around halloween, which is becoming more and more popular in Australia.
Our pumpkins are usually big greyish blue ones, small yellow butternuts ( yum ) or small japs which are very tasty as well. Butternut pumpkin soup is pretty hard to beat.

Aunty Jack
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
l had the flu in the Mildura in the mid 1980s
as did half of the town.
feeling down l went to the Workermans Bar
told the old digger/barman of my woos
he proceeded to tell me of an old cure for the flu
used in ww1 or ww2 which one l can't remember
but he was well into his 60s and i took his advice
in a 5oz glass 1nip bundy then add cloves compound cordial
to the middle of the logo on the glass.
repeat 2 or 3 times then go to bed and sweat it out
l did this for two days and l kid you not it worked a treat.
you can still buy the cordial shipped out of sydney $12 bottle last year .
by the way it doesn't smell or taste like rum more like a bloody strong liqueur
believe it or not any excuse for the rum

shayned
03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Rum Marinade for the BBQ
Chopped Chilli
Tablespoon Brown sugar
40ml - 50ml Bundy rum
20mll - 30ml Worcestershire Sauce
Crushed or chopped garlic
Seasoning

Mix Marinade add a couple of steaks and refigerate for an hour or so. Pop on a hot barby cook 'em medium rare and serve with some coleslaw and potato salad. Mix rest of the bundy with coke and dont leave the table until the bottle is finished.

Didley
03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Shayned, That sounds magnificent, and I feel there could be an occasion coming up where we could try it ;D;D. Bundy and coke is the worlds finest drink, no doubt, however if your passion is to drink rum straight there are competitors, even Beenleigh is not bad. I'd heard that story about either Bundy or Beenleigh Rum, being the oldest something, too, can't see it being true though.
Lancair, "drain cleaner" you are a strange man. Please stay south of the border.

shayned
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a plan!!!!!

cqfreshie
12-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Shayned, being a Queenslander I totally agree ... Bundy Rum IS the drink of the Gods. It has had it's place in the cooks pantry for as long as they've been making it. That marinade of yours sounds great.

sparkyice
14-07-2008, 04:36 PM
thanks for the recipe, shayned!
i can't find any bundy locally here, so i'll try it with some dark bacardi.
i'll let you know how it goes.

DevilsAdvocate
16-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Bundy rum smoked fish

Bit of bundy
Bit of honey
(basically do it to taste, you want it to taste like a sweet liqueur)

Brush it over fillets (works well with tailor or any oily fish)

Throw it in the smoker with your favourite chips till done and bob`s your uncle.

I`m a Qld`r and I can't stand Bundy as a drink (Jack Daniels for me) but the above recipe is quick, easy and tastes fantastic ;D

sparkyice
26-07-2008, 01:12 AM
good ol Jack Daniels makes a fine steak marinade- i mix it with a little McCormicks montreak steak seasoning and let it soak in a ziplock bag for an hour or so before grilling. i take it out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature before throwing it on a hot grill. goood stuff!