PDA

View Full Version : Noosa River Crabbing

CamH
12-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Mate of mine has a houseboat for the weekend on the Noosa River. Just after any info on chasing sandies or muddies but I assume it's starting to get a bit late for muddies and most likely they are pretty heavily targeted around there anyway. Is the go just to use the standard dillies with a bit of mullet? What sorts of areas do you look for when setting the pots? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

trueblue
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
you don't want muddies in a standard sand crab dilly - will wreck it quick smart. There are special dillies for mud crabs if you are not going to use a pot style trap.

CamH
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Trueblue. I have a set of the standard muddie pots. I guess I'll get some dillies for the sandies as well but just wondering if a standard muddie pot would be good enough for the sandies as well?

Slider
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Still muddies being caught but lots of jennys to sort through. They're upstream with not many towards the mouth.

lindsay

pommy
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Trueblue!

Not wishing to start an argument or anything but what do you mean by wreck?

If you leave the dilly out for an hour or more the muddy can be so tangled that it's better/faster/safer to cut out and re=rig the net due to the tangle.

Otherwise, if you check every 20 minutes then the crab can be untangled and any lines that need to be cut with scissors mended with small cable ties.

If you want to leave them overnight and unattended (illegal here) then 80lb netting is probably the go.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina