PDA

View Full Version : new spin rig

ronnien
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
after hearing a few reports about spinning for macks etc around plylons (scott nq) this has got me interested in doing some. went & had a talk with dion over at pro tackle, now he is right into this ( chucking metal at fish) so i ended up walking out with a 8kg ugly stick & a shimano spheros 8000 fa spooled with 30lb braid.i'm pretty sure it will handle macks, gt's, queenies, & anything else that wants to hit a fast moving shiny bit of metal.as well as throwing poppers around, what do u ppl think of this setup for what i want to do?

chief 1
10-05-2008, 08:48 PM
that should be a nice combo for what you are doing,it will be able to handle them fish nicely

Malcolm1976
11-06-2008, 08:09 PM
after hearing a few reports about spinning for macks etc around plylons (scott nq) this has got me interested in doing some. went & had a talk with dion over at pro tackle, now he is right into this ( chucking metal at fish) so i ended up walking out with a 8kg ugly stick & a shimano spheros 8000 fa spooled with 30lb braid.i'm pretty sure it will handle macks, gt's, queenies, & anything else that wants to hit a fast moving shiny bit of metal.as well as throwing poppers around, what do u ppl think of this setup for what i want to do?

How did this system end up? I use a Stradic 4000 on a 7ft Loomis spin stick. Loaded with 20lb braid. Its a nice light rig that can be cast all day. And the 6:1 on the Stradic gets the metal moving pretty quick. Its caught mackerel, queenfish, Travalley and even a 5.5kg Fingermark that took a bumpabar! But last trip out I stripped some of the metal on the handle (only 6mo old). Being fixed under warranty, so no problems. But it did make me wonder, if a Stradic can't handle the pace of these speedsters, how much do I have to spend!!!!

Mal

ronnien
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
mal, it handled a 7kg golden trev no probs & is not that heavy would be able to cast it all day if i wanted to. i have no douht that it will handle 20kg+ macks also intend to stop some big fingermarks with it live baiting squid, overall very impressed!

ron.

trymyluck
12-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi Ron
Looking at a similar setup for a 3 day charter off 1770, If you don't mind me asking what sort of dollars did you have part with?
Mark

ronnien
12-06-2008, 06:56 PM
mark, got a good descount at pro tackle the reel was $250 down to $160, the rod was $99 down to $65 & the braid was $ 70.

all up $295. i reckon it's a awsome set up!

ron.