PDA

View Full Version : Vindaloo Curry paste?

FNQCairns
25-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Scraped the last of my Vindaloo Curry from the jar today, love it with less than spectacular eating fish, chunk them up and either add just water and a little chilly paste then sautee or just some mayonnaise after cooking fish pieces, quick and tasty, thanks "Mr Lister Sir!";D for putting me onto the stuff other wise I would never have known it existed.

So was wondering what other Taylor made paste or any other major ingredient do others use and enjoy for flavoring fish I could find and try.

cheers fnq

Noelm
28-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I find a much more mild (Korma?) style better for Fish and Seafood in General, the hotter stuff seems to go better with Lamb and the like, I did some fish on the BBQ last night (marlin) and after it was cooked I poured over some home made Thai dressing, comprising some Fish Sauce, Lime Juice, Soy Sauce Palm sugar, and some finely sliced Chillie, mix ingredients to suit your taste and heat, put it on the salad as well and it was beautiful.

pommy
07-05-2008, 08:01 PM
G'day mate!

Try the Larich curry pastes from Sri Lanka. They come in jars and are about 5 bucks a bottle.

Try the Fish curry paste or the Jaffna curry paste (or a mix of both).

You can get them from most Indian food shops and many Oriental food shops that have an Indian/Sri Lankan section.

I fry one heaped table spoon of each in a small amount of veggie oil. Add Fish chunks or pieces that have been pre cooked in another fry pan. Add coconut milk or cream from a can to get desired amount and thickness of sauce.

You can also throw in a stick of lemon grass when frying the paste.

The pastes are quite hot so you might need to reduce the amount a bit!

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

Bubba Gump
08-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Pesto spread on the flesh side of a salmon fillet and then cooked under the grill. Very quick and the kids love it!!

smeghead
11-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Seriously ... if you want some awesome chilli products, ranging from mild/sweet to Gandhi's Revenge hot, try here...

http://www.thechillifactory.com

They have a hot scale with marks out of 10 (HOT) normally on the lower right of the label.

Beware the habanero paste (11/10)! You have been warned. One fingertip will require about a glass of milk (or similar).