PDA

View Full Version : Self imposed limits

kind_cir
25-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Who here Imposes their own limit for certain fish. As an example I won't take a Bream unless it goes 25cm to tip of tail, [without using me fingers to straighten the tail.]
The reason for this is IMO, you don't get a decent fillet out of a 23cm bream.
Others like whiting ect, Ill mesure 23cm to the fork of the tail instead of the tip.
And others I'll make sure they are half cm over the limit before they hit the ice.

Anyone else pratice self imposed limits and why?

whatscracken
25-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I have set a 40cm minimum for snapper in the bay for pretty much the same reason. I'd rather see the smaller ones grow a bit more before taking them for a feed

Jock The Rock
25-04-2008, 05:06 PM
i dont take a just size trout for the same reason as whatscracken. may as well leave them for a bit to get bigger

Oh Gee
25-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I go 28cm on my bream mainly because I hate cleaning them.

tunaticer
25-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Anything with the exception of winter whiting need to be at least 30cm fork length before it makes my esky, winter whiting 25. Snapper, grassies and flathead need to hit 45 before i contemplate taking them.

Jack.

youngy
25-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I dont have problems with fish sizes as long as they are legal, i would like to see strickter bag limits , mine is i dont take more than 20 sand whiting. cheers wayne.

Kleyny
25-04-2008, 06:17 PM
yep,
25 for bream, same for summer tings
flaties need to be between 45-55. any smaller and its a waist any more and the eating quality is not the same.

neil

SummerTrance
25-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I dont catch that many fish. Ive never bagged out on any species. So If I catch a 35cm squire/snap, its coming home to feed my family.

Keechie
25-04-2008, 06:38 PM
hi basically my only limit is DON"T TAKE A BREAM i was vvery very disapointed when i pulled in a 32cm bream(pb) only to have my mate grab it and kill it and say it is tomorrow nights dinner for him. i like to release all my bream and still all fish i try to rellease.

regards,
keechie

Mexikan
26-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Alot of fishing clubs have their own limits such as for Barra 55cm they say 65cm.
I think this is a good idea.I also practise this myself when fishing for bream,flathead and snapper etc. Some of the legal sizes especially bream are to small a fish to keep in my mind at 23cm.
Mex

predator
26-04-2008, 11:17 AM
If a fish is caught that is close to legal size and needs to be measured, it goes back in.
Much to the dissapointment of some deckies..:o

;D

Timfishin4fun
26-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I limit myself to species. As I don't eat bream I generally won't keep one. I will only keep one flathead aswell.

Tim

Cammy
26-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Bream is 28 cm, whiting is 28 cm flats are 50 cm, and thats pretty much all i catch sadly:-[ , but i stick to these limits always!

Cammo

nigelr
26-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I keep only what my family and I will eat over a few nights, or a couple frozen feeds, at most. Generally I won't fish again until these fish are gone.
Not interested in fishing for sport, I'm happy to leave 'em alone when I've got enough.
I will take 3 or 4 extra choppers or small mac tuna for bait.
Anything inedible/poor quality such as sharks, rays, dart or salmon go back alive asap.
I used to love taking the odd wobbegong for a feed when there was nothing else around, IMO they are superb eating shallow fried in beer batter, although a difficult fish to prepare for the table. However there is a total ban on them in NSW at the momemt, no doubt the trap fishers take enough of them.
The fact I deplore cleaning fish helps make it easy not to take too many........
Cheers!

vb4me
28-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I have always gone over the legal limit as far as fish sizing goes. Wouldnt keep a bream or whiting unless it was at least 28- 30cm mainly for the fact that the legal size limit doesnt give much of a feed at all. Never being able to get a bag limit on the coast if you only got 2-3 fish then it might as well be worth your while scaling and filleting them. Even Now in South Oz I wont keep unless over the limit by an inch or so. And the bag and size limits down this way mean bigger fish and lower bag limits so more fish for the future:). Although I still think they can lower the "small" snapper bag limit. Nice to see others following the same principles. I have seen too many taking undersize fish and more than the bag limit>:(

bluefin59
28-04-2008, 04:02 PM
We use 40cm as a benchmark for snaps in my boat as well ,it only seems fair because you dont get much of a fillet under that ...matt

Orrsum
28-04-2008, 04:18 PM
same for parrot they need a bit of size to get a decent fillet-30 is far too small.

Mark-P
28-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I've set a limit on the amount of time spent on ausfish ( 2hrs a day ) but not having much luck, dew to the fact i'm still waiting for my boat.....Hopefully then
i'll spend more time fishing than typing !!!!

Mark

Skusto
28-04-2008, 06:32 PM
just depends on wat species i agree on 23 with bream tho only take 25 and over but as far as bag limits when we go outside if we caught 10 good fish between us thats more then enough fish untill the next time we go out no need to kill more and not end up eating them.

disorderly
28-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah it seems I have set a personal bag limit for nannygai that was 6 specimens about a year ago and this year became 5 for some totally unknown reason....now I know the official bag limit is 9 I will endeavor to catch more of them...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

the gecko
29-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I dont take bream at all, theres better tasting fish out there, and Im too lazy to clean a bream. Threw back a 38cm a few weeks ago.

Estuary cod must be over 40cm.
Flathead must be under 60cm for me.

Andrew

T1
29-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep!

Bream - Min 30 and must be from sandy bottom...
Whiting - Min 25...
Tailor - Min 35 (unless FAT)...
Flathead - Min 45...
Pinkies - Min 40 if i'm after a feed and it's been a tough day (however if i'm chasing a bigger specimen, most will go back)...

Take Care T

_Dan_
30-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Everything except tailor goes back, i love tailor especially fresh. Sounds weird but for the fishing i do and never going outside thats what i do.

Although if i ever get an elusive big jew it will be touch and go whether i keep it, but probably not.

Cheers