PDA

View Full Version : elliot heads

crabby 1
22-04-2008, 05:40 AM
hi guys&gals
heading to bagara beach near elliot heads for a week in sept. just wondring if anyone could give me the heads up on the place. towing a 4.35 horizon with a 40hp jono is the beach worth a fish any help greatly appreciated. is the crabbing any good if so mud or sand

regards
crabby 1

cuzzamundi
22-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Mate the blow will probably prevent you from going out front. Plus it's green zoned all along there. Go to either burrum river (sth) or kolan/baffle (nth). Some good fishing and crabbing in all systems.

cuzza

baitwaster
22-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Elliot river is good for chasing grunter as well.
Try the shark nest ( I think it is where the red star is )
and heaps of fishy lookin spots further up river.

Bitch of a river to be in on low tide if you don't know
where you are going though

BTW - if you are there for a week or so, you
are not far from Monduran.

gone_phishin
22-04-2008, 02:05 PM
crabby1,

There's no problems with the beach just have to check up on your Green Zones and Yellow zones here: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/great_sandy/great_sandy_zoning.pdf

and Elliott is part of the Great Sandy so you can use more hooks there as well.

The Burnett fishes fine for your normal estuarine species and you also have a heap of rock and beach fishing between Burnett Heads and Mon Repos that isn't zoned and can supply some great fun on light gear chasing the pelagics if they're in, as well as the mouth of the Burnett for pelagics and the estuarines again. Crabbing is reasonable in the Burnett but the better catches are the Baffle for Mud and Sand

If the weathers good there's no reason you can't slip out to the inner reefs and the Artificial etc. and there is usually a few good days around September.

Give me a yell if you need some more info.

Cheers
Geoff

_Dan_
22-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Awesome place was up there last year, if you would like some rockfishing spots, or boating spots in the burnett river let me know.

There is limited stuff at Elliott heads, but what a place.

Big grunter, trevally, and jacks up there... Hardbodies and plastics fished really well.

crabby 1
22-04-2008, 07:46 PM
thank you guys sounds like some good fishing to be had. we normally go to burrum but have had a few dramas with young ones running amuk on the waterfront so thought somewhere different might be the go . as long as i can throw a lure at something fishy i am happy . any spots you can show me will be appreciated.

regards crabby

BARRA73
22-04-2008, 08:00 PM
G'day mate if your staying at Elliot heads a good place to try is Sharks Nest which is upstream on the southern side, you'll see a fairly rocky sort of area with a cliff. Best fished on a run out tide late afternoon or nightime. I have seen Barra, Jack and big grunter pulled out of there. It's a good spot if your timing is right and further upstream on the southern side there are several little creeks for good muddies. The creeks are about opposite another area called Fallons Rocks. The elliot is a very clean system with a sand bottom, some of the best fishing is always done at nightime there because it's so clear in the daytime. Plenty of big whiting on the sandbars at nightime with yabbies. Best of luck mate.

P.S. Be a bit wary if you have kids swimming in the mouth area because on big tides there can be a lot of run through that place, not trying to scare you i have 30 years of living in the area and have seen a lot of people get caught out.

crabby 1
23-04-2008, 05:32 AM
G'day barra mate will be sure to keep that in mind thanx for your help i will take a look at sharks nest .

maccaril
23-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Crabby
Visit www.brisbanesportshingclub.com.au. Look at the last newsletter. Good arcticle by Steve Bain. Boys at Saltys allways say to fish the incoming tide but I have found fish on both tides. Make sure you drop in and see them in Bundy, very help full, or you can email them in advance. Just down river from the boat ramp at Riverveiw there is a good drop off on the North side, this fishes well for Barra. No shortage of live bait in the river so take your cast net
Good luck