PDA

View Full Version : Salted Fish

Noelm
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Has anyone tried to salt their own Fish (to eat that is, not for Bait) I have smoked, fried, baked, and just about every other way you could think of, but might give salting a whirl, not too sure why, just to see if it is good,bad or crap, you see it all the time in Continental Deli's and places, of course, how to prepare/cook it afterwards would also be handy!

Volvo
07-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Yep11:) ..Yakkas, Slimies, Bonito and Pillies..Must be freshly caught..use Good clean wooden, or clay tubs and have somewhere dark n cool for them whilst curing....
If your cholestrol gets a tad high stay away from the stuff and you must be prepared to consume yonks of Alcahol :)..
Mainly eat as a Meze!!..
Whatever ya do dont wash or scrub the inards out prior to curing!!!...:-/ :-[ 8-) ....

Outsider1
07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
When you say salted fish Noelm, I assume you actually mean dried fish?.

Cheers

Dave

johnny roger
07-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Has anyone tried to salt their own Fish (to eat that is, not for Bait) I have smoked, fried, baked, and just about every other way you could think of, but might give salting a whirl, not too sure why, just to see if it is good,bad or crap, you see it all the time in Continental Deli's and places, of course, how to prepare/cook it afterwards would also be handy!
Noelm,

I have tried it and liked it. but like you , i would not know how to prepare it. but if you go to www.recipesdatabase.com (http://www.recipesdatabase.com) you might find it. if not try www.recipeland.com (http://www.recipeland.com)

John

Noelm
07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
hhmm might just give it a go, and Outsider, I guess it is slightly different to straight out dried (maybe) I just thought I might try something a little different, just for kicks.

Noelm
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
OH, and Volvo, why don't you clean them first? seems a bit odd to leave all the guts and stuff in and salt them.

Volvo
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Reason bein that you have to wash away all the salt etc when you are ready to ho into the stuff..[ its said that washing and cleaning the fish prior to curing buggers it up for the curing process!!??:-/ ...)
Then you wash away the inards n clean thoroughly as well as soak you fish or fish pieces in Olive oil along with maybe some lemon juice..
Different nationalities add different spices etc to suit their taste..
What you may want to start off with, just fer starters see if you like the tast is maybe some freshly caught yakkas or Bonito steaks cut nice n thick..
Layer of corse salt, layer of whole yakkas or Bonito steaks, repeat till your curing container is full, finishing off with nice top layer of salt..
Nice to have a piece of ply or simmilar with holes drilled through it to place ontop..Somethimg to weigh ontop allow the juices to head to the surface...
Pour these juices off daily or till they stop and then let the process sit...
Doest take long really especially doing Pillies or yakkas...
When your ready as stated above take some out, give a good wash under the tap..lay in a bowl, smother with Olive Oil, lemon n whatever and eat as an appetiser entree with your Beer., Scotch, Ouzo or whtever turns you on..
Nowadays i just buy the cured stuff outa the local dellies in small quantities to have every now n then..
Cholestrol stop many abad habit ey:'( ....
At present in the process of curing aprox Thirty/forty?? kilo of green Olives:-[ ;D ,freshly picked......
PS..If you like the Barbied occy try some pickled Occy...........

Noelm
07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I have done some Pickled Squid, it comes out OK, I sometimes buy those Roll Mops, and being a tight Ar$e after I finish them I reuse the mixture for a second lot of Fish, just cut small bits of Fish like Trevally and put into the Bottle, wait for a few days, and you have a second lot for free! I think I was borne in the wrong Country, most "Aussies" don't like all sorts of Anchovies, Pickled and Salted bits and pieces, but I sure do.

fish-n-dive
07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Duhh, just read the answer to the question I was going to ask.........sorry.::)

fish-n-dive
07-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Reason bein that you have to wash away all the salt etc when you are ready to ho into the stuff..[ its said that washing and cleaning the fish prior to curing buggers it up for the curing process!!??:-/ ...)
Then you wash away the inards n clean thoroughly as well as soak you fish or fish pieces in Olive oil along with maybe some lemon juice..
Different nationalities add different spices etc to suit their taste..
What you may want to start off with, just fer starters see if you like the tast is maybe some freshly caught yakkas or Bonito steaks cut nice n thick..
Layer of corse salt, layer of whole yakkas or Bonito steaks, repeat till your curing container is full, finishing off with nice top layer of salt..
Nice to have a piece of ply or simmilar with holes drilled through it to place ontop..Somethimg to weigh ontop allow the juices to head to the surface...
Pour these juices off daily or till they stop and then let the process sit...
Doest take long really especially doing Pillies or yakkas...
When your ready as stated above take some out, give a good wash under the tap..lay in a bowl, smother with Olive Oil, lemon n whatever and eat as an appetiser entree with your Beer., Scotch, Ouzo or whtever turns you on..
Nowadays i just buy the cured stuff outa the local dellies in small quantities to have every now n then..
Cholestrol stop many abad habit ey:'( ....
At present in the process of curing aprox Thirty/forty?? kilo of green Olives:-[ ;D ,freshly picked......
PS..If you like the Barbied occy try some pickled Occy...........

I'm not saying it isn't so but I still think that guts need to be treated very carefully.......botulism has a very bad reputation!!!:P

Bubba Gump
08-04-2008, 12:34 AM
They sell loads of it in the markets over here in Paris. Not to sure how it tastes, but the smell is terrible!

Noelm
08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
hhmm Bubba, have you ever bought any and cooked/soaked or whatever the "Locals" do and given it a try?? I have been tempted so many times but as yet still a tad Chicken to give it a go.

Bubba Gump
08-04-2008, 08:47 AM
hhmm Bubba, have you ever bought any and cooked/soaked or whatever the "Locals" do and given it a try?? I have been tempted so many times but as yet still a tad Chicken to give it a go.

I will buy a lttle bit this weekend and give it a go. I think it is going to be one of those hold your nose while you are chewing jobs! As for making it at home I don't think the wife would put up with the smell. I will get back to you with the verdict.

Cheers

BG

timddo
08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
We actually drie most of our fish. Mackeral is quite good in steaks.

All we do is cut the fish up into steaks, Add some fish sauce, salt and sugar . Marinate for 2 hours then out into the sun to be dried for 2 days, ( cover with fly nets top and bottom).

Dry fish retail for around $30-$50 a kg at the shops.

Volvo
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Quite interesting to think how far we have come since working over a Milkbar/Cafe kitchen hotplate for 14-16 hrs a day cookin Mixed grills n Meat pies..
Driving Holden FJ's or ye ole mark 1 Zephyr's lol and how Multiculturism n Assimilation(correct term???} has changed our eating habits and given us a vast number of recipies to keep us interested in our Kitchens, NO?????....
Can remember when one could take their own bucket up to a Trawler and they would just give away Squid, Cuttlefish n Occy fer free if ya told em you wanted it for bait...
Take your buckets or Shosping bags to the abbattoirs and get all the Kidneys, livers, lamb toungues, heads etc FRee otherwise they would dump the stuff!!..
Nowadays these things sell fer more than your normal meats halfe the time ey8-) ...
Yes we have and are still learning what we used to turn our noses up to might just be a tad tasty or maybe even not so bad for one:-/ ..
As for curing in Salt!!...Ever i had any ails or pains our familly Chinese Doctor and a good doctor too might i add used to always say go bath it in salt at the beach..
You suffer from a bad dose of acne over your body!!?? try going to the Surf on a regular basis..
We used ta spend near all our weekends , days off either in or on the water and hardly ever a skin problemo ey:) ..
peoples have been curing all types of food using the ole salt method fer yonks!! thousands of years and still doin it..Must be a reason ey??..
have an old English cookbook at home that either gets used as a binding tensioner for when i build or repair a Rod at home and the recipies contained within have even the old methods of hanging the Pheasants (or was that peasants lol) out on the porch or wherever , jugged hair as well for it to cure/ripen for consumption::) .....
So yes there's a World full of knowledge via others experiences out there in the food base.. You either like it or ya dont :)...
Cheers

Noelm
08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Tim, how long do you dry them for, and how to you prepare them for Eating? thats the sort of thing I want to do/try and most of all, are they nice when done?