PDA

View Full Version : Char-grilled Octopus & Haloumi Salad

fish-n-dive
05-04-2008, 05:54 PM
We had this tonight (with octopus from the coast) Gee it was nice.......!!

Preparation Time - 5 - 35 minutes
Cooking Time - 6 minutes

Ingredients (serves 4)

* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
* 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
* salt and pepper
* 1.25kg baby octopus, cleaned
* 200g haloumi, drained and cut into 1cm-thick slices
* 3 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
* 150g green beans, trimmed and blanched
* lemon wedges, to serve

Method

1. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, chilli flakes, oregano, salt and pepper in a large non-metallic bowl. Add the octopus and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a barbecue hot plate to high. Add the octopus and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning regularly until cooked through. (Take care not to overcook octopus or it will toughen.). Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
3. Place haloumi on the hot plate and cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden and starting to melt.
4. Combine tomatoes and beans in a large serving plate. Top with haloumi and octopus. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.

Notes & tips

* You can ask your fishmonger to clean the octopus for you, ie remove the beak and innards from the head sack, and rinse thoroughly. If the baby octopus is large, slice the bodies in half. If you don't have a barbecue, pan-fry the octopus in a non-stick frying pan (in batches) for 2-3 minutes over high heat.

Source

Simply Food - November 2007 , Page 4
Recipe by Kate Murdoch

Tangles
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Sounds a cracker, will have to give that a go, love that grilled haloumi

mike

Noelm
07-04-2008, 09:39 AM
for those starting off on Octopus, go to your Local Fishmarket and get cleaned and tenderised Occies, already done, they are cheap as chips and readily available.

Volvo
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Noel i didnt think one could purchase tenderised Occy!!!..Tenderising Occy is a process which takes some time to do properly by some time spent bashing your occy against hard surface(Cement), Rocks adjascent to ocean and wash in its own water tlll it gets that frothy look...
Hang to dry on clothe sline till absolutely dry:-X :-[ , cut in pieces and drop on hot Barby Plate, Lemon squeezed all over it!!!! (Dont worry Flies dont blow Occy;) )
So Many ways to do Occy!!!...
As for the Haloumi?? Try getting the small sealed packs for doing on the barby plate.."Olympus"???cant quite remeber the name of itbut it has the mint pieces added to it etc...
The other Haloumi that comes in the buckets is better eating with watermelon::) , Yep you heard right lol, "Watermelon"..Will have ta stop there otherwise if i give out all the secrets i might get shot!!..
isnt it amazing what food does ta peoples:o ....

Noelm
08-04-2008, 08:19 AM
the ones you buy in the Markets are tenderised in a Cement Mixer sort of thing, they "mix" them for yonks and makes them soft as buggery, you can tell by the curled up legs and the lack of guts/beak, they have them most times at my Local.