PDA

View Full Version : Lure Business

tailorboi99
17-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi all, I am thinking off starting making lures for the fun off catching fish on them and have been thinking what do you make a lure out of? Well can anyone tell me and the lures are Hard Bodies.

Cheers Tom

nuggstar
17-03-2008, 07:33 PM
you could try and make them out of wood. i use bits of broken pallets and grind them to shape with a bench grinder. then i cut a slit for the stainless mig wire to sit in, then bend the wire to shape and glue it in with 2 min apoxy and paint and put on some eyes, attach rings and hooks and flog the crap out of it.

smoked
17-03-2008, 08:40 PM
broom handles cut to whatever size and carved out might work

bimini

tailorboi99
18-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Cheers Boys

Thomas

oldboot
18-03-2008, 09:00 PM
It depends on how you want that lure to behave.

I had a bit of a dabble.....when I get some more time:-/

I've used some durian which floats pretty well and is a bit harder and more regularly grained than meranti.

I spunn up the boddies on the lathe and drove some barrel sinkers up the middle for some weight.

most woods will float if you don't add some weight.

plastics would be worthwhile.

one thing that interests me is this prototyping plastic...... it comes as granules and you melt it over hot water, it sets up pretty hard......... if all goes pear shaped, you can just melt it down and reuse.

lead.

stanless

syringes aparantly make great poppers, particularly if you add a propeller.

anything round is fair game.
anything shiny is fair game
anything that floats is fair game
anything that sinks is fair game
anything that neither sinks nor floats is definitly fair game.

I recon you could even mould a lure out of porredge if you dried it out well and gave it a coat of epoxy.;D

I feel a chalenge comming on.
Who can make a lure that catches fish out of the weirdest thing?

Oh OH OH..:bulb2: :bulb2: :bulb2: ..I've just had a twisted but brilliant idea.

take a metal slug of your choice or a sinking lure............tie it onto a trace of choice... i;m thinking plastic coated wire.

take propholactic, with a needle thred the trace trhu the pointy end and out a few inches from the open end... rigg this all off as usual... fill said rubbery thing with tuna oil and tie the open end off.

That would have to be a ripper rig for shark.

someone can come up with a name.

cheers

Apollo
19-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Oh OH OH..:bulb2: :bulb2: :bulb2: ..I've just had a twisted but brilliant idea.

take a metal slug of your choice or a sinking lure............tie it onto a trace of choice... i;m thinking plastic coated wire.

take propholactic, with a needle thred the trace trhu the pointy end and out a few inches from the open end... rigg this all off as usual... fill said rubbery thing with tuna oil and tie the open end off.

That would have to be a ripper rig for shark.

someone can come up with a name.

cheers

Old boot - whatever is wrong with you, I bet you it is hard to spell! ;D ;D ;D

Well actually we once caught a stonking tuna on a delivery trip back from Hobart using a clothes peg tied to the line infront of a hook. Also used beer cans (empty of course) shreaded up as lures as well. VB cans work really well as I guess they flash green and silver. Guess I probably a bit broken in the head as well. Oh well!

squizzytaylor
19-03-2008, 12:55 PM
In PNG I have seen condoms used to catch fish, apparently they resemble a squid inderwater (watch the ink!) also twistie packets rolled up and then the ends cut to resemble a pusher skirt attatched to a sinker were deadly on big tuna. Geoff

tailorboi99
19-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Geoff, mate I am going to make a Twistie Lure, the packet shines like the gates to heaven

Cheers Tom

kevinnugent@westnet.
19-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Balsa wood, I think. With lots of lacquer coats.

Kevin

oldboot
19-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Better than laquer.
seal the timber up with one of the boat building epoxies like "west system" or " boatcote".

That will seal it up well and give a good hard surface, then sand & coat with laquer.

cheers