PDA

View Full Version : VROM Chilli Sauce

Tangles
21-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Well here it is, Aigutso's families authentic VROM Chilli Sauce; Now this stuff is the business,

INGREDIENTS

40 x Large (3-4") Red Chillies
8 small cloves of Garlic
2 inch piece of Ginger
2 x 8 oz cups of Malt Vinegar
2 1/2 x 8 oz cups of sugar
1 1/2 desert spoon of Salt

METHOD

Seed chillies then blitz in a mixer all ingredients (Chillies, garlic ginger) with the vinegar. You then place on stove on low heat, and add sugar and salt, allow to thicken and stir occasionally to prevent burning. When its a sauce consistency your done, allow to cool and bottle.

NB, wear plastic gloves when seeding chillies if your soft, and this is a cracker. Add more chillies if you like or dont seed the chillies if you couldnt be bothered and really like the chilli hit.

cheers
mike

Jackinthebox
25-02-2008, 02:41 PM
What does VROM mean? ..... Very Redhot Ohmygod My tongue:o:o:o!!!! sauce???

Mick.;D

Tangles
25-02-2008, 04:20 PM
LOL, it should read that,, Nope VROM is the name my late great Aunty Vicky called it.. originally an old Burmese recipie which she altered to make her own. I just made up a brew last night with about 50 birdseye chillies and 10 long red chillies, seeds and all to give it that extra kick..

Also Ill be posting up a thread on making old style salted Limes Pickle and salted Lemon Pickle. These are used in curries. Did a few last night, but when i make them next time Ill take piccies,, again another old hand me down recipie.

cheers
Mike

Lucky_Phill
15-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I tasted the VROM cold and also the ' extra ' one.

Yep..... VVVRRROOOMMMMMM !!!!!!!!!!

Phill

JewseeTHAT
04-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Made it last night with 80 birdseye chillies and a roasted capsicum, and just had to say Thank-you!
Won't be deseeding that many birdseye chillies again in a hurry, because it was damned tedious, so in future I'll just use a few less, and include the seeds.

Bloody BEEYOODEFULL!

Tangles
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Jewseethat , now that sounds great with the roasted capsicum, ill be giving that a go.

I did another batch, a milder version ( no seeds this time) and added some boiled sweet potato, came out great and the wife prefers it to the hotter version with seeds and all.

Try some of the red long chillies as well next time Jewseethat, a lot easier to deseed than those small birdseye ones.

Mike

fish-n-dive
05-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Also Ill be posting up a thread on making old style salted Limes Pickle and salted Lemon Pickle. These are used in curries. Did a few last night, but when i make them next time Ill take piccies,, again another old hand me down recipie.

cheers
Mike

I'm looking forward to the salted lime pickle recipe!!! If it is as good as VROM then we are in for a treat I think.............;)

JewseeTHAT
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
The capsicum was roasted over the gas burner till blackened, then peeled. I used it because we like the capsicum flavour from the bigger chillies, but unfortunately the bushes died last winter in the dry and I haven't got around to replacing them yet. The birdseyes on the other hand have cropped so well the freezer is pretty much chockas.
Like the sound of the sweet potato, will have a go at that next.
Cheers.