PDA

View Full Version : Warning-in Car Gps Owners!

Poodroo
15-02-2008, 04:20 PM
This is some friendly advice to all of you fellow Ausfish motorists out there. If you have a GPS in your car DO NOT have it on show even for a split second. I have heard that thieves target them but now I am in total amazement as to how fast they target them. Below is the chain of events that has left me feeling so angry.

At home recovering from a work related injury I decided that it would be great to invest in a lead for my Sony Handycam so I can start dabbling in editing and transferring data onto discs in the future.

Hop in the car and drive up the road to the local Retravision store. Thought to myself "Should I hide the GPS?" after having pulled out on the main road right out the front of the shop. Decided that I would not even be 5 minutes so this one occasion I decided the GPS would be safe where it was(To date I have always hidden it out of site, just this one time I left it attached to the windscreen). I walked into the shop, was confronted immediately by a salesman and told him what I wanted and showed the camera. "Nah mate sorry, we don't stock that lead!" was his reply so in less than 2 minutes I was back out the front door.
Jumped in my car and first thing I see is glass everywhere.
Yes you guessed it, some little turd decided to sieze the opportunity when they saw the GPS and smashed the passenger side front window to get is prize.
So here I am with a smashed window, a car I can't secure until it is fixed and a Christmas present (GPS) stolen. A big concern to me is that I have addresses keyed into the GPS including home so now the little sh!t has some added bonus information. These sorts of things just do very little to help me have faith in this world in which I live.

So here is my advice to all of you. DO NOT ever think that your GPS is not going to attract a thief even if you leave the car for 1 minute. Hide it out of site or take it with you. You cannot trust any bugger out there.

Regards,

Poodroo

LINZ_74
15-02-2008, 04:25 PM
These w$%#ers make me sick!! nothing better to to with they're time.
Sorry to here about that Poodroo.

Lindsay

BaitThrower
15-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Bummer,

No security cameras in the parking lot at all where you were?
Probably not but worth checking in case they caught the little fokker on them.

blaze
15-02-2008, 04:57 PM
ars**oles, what more can you say. makes me glad to live in a town where mobile phones only work some times and we are 10 years behind techonogy. Hope the house contents cover it for you.
cheers
blaze

disorderly
15-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Dont mean to offend .....but in the big smoke it may be less of a temptation to use a street directory.
although it sux that city life has come to thathttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif.

Poodroo
15-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Well here is another snippet of info for everyone. Insurance companies do not cover GPS systems in cars if they are after market. For cars like new Subaru's for example that have one mounted in the dashboard they will be covered by the insurance companies but I can't imagine a thief would go through that much trouble. The only way an insurance company will pay anything toward a GPS (attached to windscreen types) is if you list it separately on your policy otherwise they will not pay. Now if you do put it on your policy the insurance companies (in my case Suncorp) will only cover up to $150 value per item stolen which is hardly anywhere near enough to replace the GPS. Can someone please tell me why I have full comprehensive insurance?
Thieves 1.....Poodroo 0

Regards,

Poodroo

Tassie JR
15-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats sad poodroo, how quick are they, Just told dad and he is gonna make sure he hides his all the time now.

cheers tassie JR

Poodroo
15-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey if I can help just one person with this thread then it has served it's purpose Tassie JR. The sad thing that I am most upset about it that this GPS was a present from the wife for Christmas and I am not used to receiving such nice gifts becuase let's face it they are worth a bit of money. I am sad for the fact my wife may as well have just thrown her money out the window. Same difference really.
Just as a side not I was chatting to the helpful O'Brien glass lady and she said that it is amazing what they the thieves will target a car for. If you have paper in a center console for example that even remotely look as though it could be money they will have no hesitation in breaking a window to check it out. Just be warned people that car theft is on the up and up so do everything in your power to not give them reason to break in.

Poodroo

Scalem
15-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Dont mean to offend .....but in the big smoke it may be less of a temptation to use a street directory.
although it sux that city life has come to thathttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif.

No offense directed at you either disorderly, but trying to find where you going with only a street directory is from the stoneages. :D GPS has its place. I wish I had one trying to find where to go on the Sunshine coast motorway once, when I had 3 appointments with clients up that way. Got lost twice, was running late for the last one, nearly got smashed by a semi as I pulled over to take another look at the map, then got booked for speeding, still trying to find the last place I had to go. At my age, I have just taken delivery of my 1st perscription glasses because I can't see a street directory clearly anyway, and I get really stressed if I can't find that B%$$^!!street on the map.

So now my Tom Tom's name is "Jane" which is my preferred voice, she tells me where to go in a shorter space of time, she relaxes me, and I love her to bits;D ;D Unless you've tried her yourself you will never really understand!!::)

REALLY sorry to hear you were broken into Poodroo!!

Scalem

samsnap
15-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear Poodroo - Thanks for the reminder - being a woman there is stuff everywhere in my car! - thinks me go clean it up & hide good stuff now!!

haggis
15-02-2008, 08:32 PM
bad poodroo . nothing will stop these w**kers .
having lived in beautiful Scotland for thirty years we learned at a very
early age to secure & lock everything . sad to see that here in even more beautiful Australia we have to now start to do the same . the punishment
never fits the crime .
haggis .

haggis
15-02-2008, 08:33 PM
sorry that meant to say bad luck poodroo .
haggis ...............

Tassie JR
15-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Why we are on the topic where would be the best place to hide things in your car apart fom the obvious under the seat in consoles or gloveboxes ect, not alot of people want to carry a gps into the shops with them.

cheers tassie JR

TheRealAndy
15-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Well here is another snippet of info for everyone. Insurance companies do not cover GPS systems in cars if they are after market. For cars like new Subaru's for example that have one mounted in the dashboard they will be covered by the insurance companies but I can't imagine a thief would go through that much trouble. The only way an insurance company will pay anything toward a GPS (attached to windscreen types) is if you list it separately on your policy otherwise they will not pay. Now if you do put it on your policy the insurance companies (in my case Suncorp) will only cover up to $150 value per item stolen which is hardly anywhere near enough to replace the GPS. Can someone please tell me why I have full comprehensive insurance?
Thieves 1.....Poodroo 0

Regards,

Poodroo

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to ring the insurance company tomorrow and get my $700 gps listed on the policy

Lucky_Phill
15-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Bugga Andrew.

I tried to get my GPS listed on my car ins and they would not do it, so it got included in my House Contents Ins ( because it is detachable ) and that costs me an extra $2.20/ month. But it is a $1,000 unit so insurance is essential.

I do remove it from the vehicle at most times I leave it. I also don't even put it in the car unless I am going to unfamiliar territory.

Phill

Poodroo
15-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear Poodroo - Thanks for the reminder - being a woman there is stuff everywhere in my car! - thinks me go clean it up & hide good stuff now!!
Makes me glad to know that there are people like yourself who will at least listen. Good on you.

Poodroo

Poodroo
15-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I am going to ring the insurance company tomorrow and get my $700 gps listed on the policy

No worries mate. As I said if I can make people aware of my misfortune and at least prevent one person from having the same thing happen then I have at least benefitted someone else which makes me feel a little better. Will take a bit for the bitterness to wear off but it will eventually. It could have been worse because I also had my Bluetooth hands free Supertooth gizmo clipped onto the sunvisor and the thief didn't see it. Would have been another $160 worth.

Bugga Andrew.

I tried to get my GPS listed on my car ins and they would not do it, so it got included in my House Contents Ins ( because it is detachable ) and that costs me an extra $2.20/ month. But it is a $1,000 unit so insurance is essential.

I do remove it from the vehicle at most times I leave it. I also don't even put it in the car unless I am going to unfamiliar territory.

Phill
Phill I have done the same but this was one of those things where I thought I was only going to be in the shop for such a short time that I became complacent and lapse and common sense didn't prevail and I paid dearly for it. The whole thing stinks and I feel violated knowing someone did that and that I let it happen. The thing that hurts most is that was Trudy's Christmas Present to me and for us spending money like that on presents even for one another just doesn't happen very often. It was the best present ever and now it is gone.

Poodroo

Martijnf
15-02-2008, 11:24 PM
That sucks mate :(

Had my TomTom stolen a couple months back. It was out of sight in my dashboard and the car was sitting in a supervised parking garage next to a hotel.

Just goes to show, best to keep it on your person.

And in the end the insurance companies are the biggest thieves, make you pay through the nose and will do absolutely anything to avoid paying. I've heard some pretty unbelievable stories from an attorney I used to work with who represented a ton of clients in suits against insurance companies..

Good business that.. insurance.

artesian
15-02-2008, 11:43 PM
lots of good tips here. Poodroo, commiserations - hangin' ain't good enough.

Scalem, hope that you don't have what I call a 'Tom Tom Moment' where it takes you to places unknown and unintended, as has been my experience :-)

Re hiding a windscreen mounted nav unit, father in law recently made the good point that the circle on the inside of the w/screen is a dead giveaway that goodies are aboard. He keeps his sitting on his console on a face washer. Still looking for a similar spot in my GQ. The loss of the Nav is bad enough, but having to make good the damage is the pits.

Poodroo
16-02-2008, 06:47 AM
That sucks mate :(

Had my TomTom stolen a couple months back. It was out of sight in my dashboard and the car was sitting in a supervised parking garage next to a hotel.

Just goes to show, best to keep it on your person.

And in the end the insurance companies are the biggest thieves, make you pay through the nose and will do absolutely anything to avoid paying. I've heard some pretty unbelievable stories from an attorney I used to work with who represented a ton of clients in suits against insurance companies..

Good business that.. insurance.
Here is another insurance story for your records. When I first purchased my Pajero I was on my way to my first of many annual trips to Fraser Island when my brother's Pajero in front of me threw a rock and cracked my windscreen. When I returned from that trip I enquired through my insurer as to whether or not they had windscreen cover. The answer was no. End of discussion. I just thought to myself that when I had my first available financial moment that I would replace it myself "one day." That day actually never turned up for about a year and I kept looking through the illegal crack thinking "I must replace that windscreen one of these days.
Then one day at my work one of my collegues had O'Brien's glass turn up and was replacing her windscreen. Curious I asked her "How much is that setting you back?" Her reply was "Nothing, my insurance is paying for it!" Further curiosity made me ask "Who are you insured with?" and to my surprise she replies "Suncorp!" With a look of intrigue I say "Hey I'm with Suncorp!" When I got home that day after work I ring Suncorp up to discover that I could have had windscreen cover for something like $2.70 per month extra. I said to do it over the phone and waited a couple of weeks and then claimed it. Do you think I lost any sleep over it? ::) Finally chalk one up for Poodroo I thought. Sadly however that windscreen lasted one week before a truck I was following hit some bumps and dislodged several stones from under his tipper and once again I was looking through a crack. Insurance covers only one windscreen per year I found out so I waited a year before I claimed it.
Because I am on the road a lot that replacement windscreen once again had fallen victim to another truck so I have gone through more windscreens than most people would in a lifetime but here is how insurance companies continue to rip us off.
Firstly I pay for the privilege of having windscreen cover.

Secondly I am restricted to just one replacement per annum.(This is what I am entitled to in accordance with their rules)

So I claim windscreens in accordance to their rules and I eventually get a letter in the mail from them stating that they had reviewed my account and over the years because I had made several windscreen claims that I was being put in the "High Risk" category and as a result they were adding an extra $150 to my excess which makes it $500 whenever I make a claim. I argued the point that it was not a fair system but to no avail. Like it or lump it was basically what I was told.
So in this scenario of my smash and grab that would have meant this.
1/For a $350 GPS if I added it to my policy yes it would have been covered.

2/They would only cover the contents of the vehicle for up to $150 per item stolen. (That's right, less than half of the value of the GPS)

3/ If I made a claim so that they paid less than half back for the GPS which I am told on the phone is better than nothing I would have had to pay the $500 excess fee which I am being penalised for because I am claiming windscreens which I pay for in my premiums and am entitled to do under their guidelines.

So doing the maths that would have meant that to replace my $350 GPS using my insurer it would have ended up costing me the same amount. Not worth it.
In summary insurance companies are in fact the real thieves however the only difference is they are LEGAL thieves. I am at a loss regardless.
The only fortunate thing that came out of this in the end is the broken window came under my glass cover in my policy so I didn't end up paying any excess fees to have it fixed.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards,

Poodroo

whynott
16-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Andrew,
I have to question, how many mirrors have you smashed, and how many ladders have you walked under?:( :(
Bit of luck, those good luck gods start looking after you real soon.
Take care and try and stay positive.
Graham.

CHAPPY
16-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Re GPS theft in carpark'

Be on the lookout for young blokes in carparks with skateboards under there arm. Cool tool for breaking windows. Usually creates less suspicion than walking around with a hammer and usefull for a quick get away. Point your mobile phone at them like you are taking there picture and act like you are talking into the phone. They think you are talking to the cops Usually clears the carpark if they are up to no good.
Regards
Bush Budah

Scalem
16-02-2008, 08:22 AM
An overview of the whole Insurance debate is fueled by greed and dishonesty from both sides of the fence. Who would argue that the Insurance giants of our society continue to increase premiums while you need to read fineprint in their policies carefully, or you might find yourself needing to claim where there is no cover because of your circumstance. I can think of two examples that happened to me.
1. My wife's car and my car were insured with the same insurer. Working around the house, I had reversed the box trailer up the driveway to spread some topsoil around, but left part of the car exposed in the direct path of my wife's car. She decided she needed to go out quite urgently, and reversed into my car. BAM! Honest mistake!! The insurance company wanted two excesses, each costing more than the extent of the damage. If we were insured separately, I could have sent a letter of demand to my wifes insurer and not paid anything for the repair!!
2. Every year I teach teenagers to water ski at the anual "fun and adventure" holiday camp, usually held at Moogoorah dam, if there's water in it, otherwise Maroon Dam. The Insurance on the boat has always had a water skiing additional content covering me for up to 2 Mill liability. We have always paid it. The Insurer changed their policy and aparently sent me a brochure in the mail which highlighted the changes - I never saw it, probably tossed out amoungst the junk mail. Little did I know that we had been paying standard insurance since the change for a few years, without the liability content of the policy covering water skiing. All I can say is I am fortunate I didn't need to make a claim for injuries sustained while skiing behind my boat.

But Poodroo, you are not being targeted by hungry Insurance companies, you are simply falling victim to them trying to stop others roughting the System. That is the part I hate the most. We make legitimate claims, but they make it harder because there are those members of the public that try to milk the Insurance game for every cent they can get.

Scalem

Poodroo
16-02-2008, 08:46 AM
An overview of the whole Insurance debate is fueled by greed and dishonesty from both sides of the fence. Who would argue that the Insurance giants of our society continue to increase premiums while you need to read fineprint in their policies carefully, or you might find yourself needing to claim where there is no cover because of your circumstance. I can think of two examples that happened to me.
1. My wife's car and my car were insured with the same insurer. Working around the house, I had reversed the box trailer up the driveway to spread some topsoil around, but left part of the car exposed in the direct path of my wife's car. She decided she needed to go out quite urgently, and reversed into my car. BAM! Honest mistake!! The insurance company wanted two excesses, each costing more than the extent of the damage. If we were insured separately, I could have sent a letter of demand to my wifes insurer and not paid anything for the repair!!
2. Every year I teach teenagers to water ski at the anual "fun and adventure" holiday camp, usually held at Moogoorah dam, if there's water in it, otherwise Maroon Dam. The Insurance on the boat has always had a water skiing additional content covering me for up to 2 Mill liability. We have always paid it. The Insurer changed their policy and aparently sent me a brochure in the mail which highlighted the changes - I never saw it, probably tossed out amoungst the junk mail. Little did I know that we had been paying standard insurance since the change for a few years, without the liability content of the policy covering water skiing. All I can say is I am fortunate I didn't need to make a claim for injuries sustained while skiing behind my boat.

But Poodroo, you are not being targeted by hungry Insurance companies, you are simply falling victim to them trying to stop others roughting the System. That is the part I hate the most. We make legitimate claims, but they make it harder because there are those members of the public that try to milk the Insurance game for every cent they can get.

Scalem

Yes I have realized this from a very early stage. I guess one consolation that makes me feel a little bit better within myself is the fact that when they reviewed my account history and put me in the "High Risk" category because of all the windscreen claims resulting in the rise in my excess, just before that was to take affect is when I had my very first car accident which was not my fault but deemed my fault and therefore my insurance paid. At least I did a good job of it because I wrote the other car off plus damaged my car. Was the best $350 (excess fee) I have ever spent. ;D

Andrew,
I have to question, how many mirrors have you smashed, and how many ladders have you walked under?:( :(
Bit of luck, those good luck gods start looking after you real soon.
Take care and try and stay positive.
Graham.
Yeah one would have to wonder about it Graham. I am not normally a very supersticious sort of a person but I might start looking under my car just to make sure there are no Chinamen still hung up under there. ::) Trying to remain possitve but at the moment I just want to shoot every delinquent that so much as looks at me sideways.>:(

Poodroo

disorderly
16-02-2008, 09:48 AM
No offense directed at you either disorderly, but trying to find where you going with only a street directory is from the stoneages. :D GPS has its place.

Scalem

Scalem I agree,but my point was that it appears these days that if you have anything of value on show then there will always be some disrespectful scumbag willing to flog it.
It's just getting worse as even in the unlikely event that the culprits are caught the punishment is minimal and hardly a deterrent at all.
The street directory reference was just my cynical view that the less material items one owns, the less one has for thieves to steal.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Sorry to hear this story,poodroo.It really sux,mate.

I posted a thread recently on leaving cash lying around my open windowed car for 15 hours at the ramp and having nothing touched.The reason for that thread was that I was very surprised that nothing was taken.

Scott

MY-TopEnder
16-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Another helpful hint i was given by someone at work...

When you're entering your HOME address, set it as the nearest main road. You'll always know how to get from there to your home, and you'll never have your actual address in there for them to come and have a look at what other goodies they can pinch.

Sorry to hear Andrew.

Scalem
16-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Scalem I agree,but my point was that it appears these days that if you have anything of value on show then there will always be some disrespectful scumbag willing to flog it.
It's just getting worse as even in the unlikely event that the culprits are caught the punishment is minimal and hardly a deterrent at all.
The street directory reference was just my cynical view that the less material items one owns, the less one has for thieves to steal.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Scott

Stand
i

8-)

ol'ebloke
16-02-2008, 10:21 AM
:o Hi people I'm very very new to this forum but do read with interest the posts and learning lots about stuff including the insurance scams and we are in the middle now of changing our home address in the car mounted G P S thanks for the teaching it's good to learn things

disorderly
16-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Stand
i

8-)

Huh.......?

4x4frog
16-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Poodroo and others. I was talking to a friend of mine who works in insurance and he was telling me that even if you remove the unit from view and leave the suction cap on the windscreen and the car is broken into and the GPS stolen, the insurer can at their discretion not pay because you left evidence of the GPS unit visible.

If you do remove it and it leaves a mark on the windscreen you are still at fault if the thing is flogged. :o Was my reaction.
It makes you wonder, we earn the money to buy the toys and have to take immeasurable steps to ensure we keep them in our possession because some little low-lifes think they deserve our toys more>:(>:(

His strong suggestion....take it out of the car everytime you leave the car, even as Poodroo points out if it's for 5 minutes.

Poodroo
16-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks again for all the replies. After my misfortune it is good to know that I have at least reached a few of you in this thread. This morning was the morning after and after a bad night sleep due to going over it all and having the whole thing play back in my mind I got up this morning and visited the Second Hand Dealers like Cash Converters. I firstly checked to see if a GPS was sold or offered and when they said no I gave them the situation and all of the details including serial number. Now if the thief tries selling my GPS to any of the second hand dealers around here they will notify the police immediately. it's a long shot but might happen.

Poodroo

Scalem
16-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Huh.......?

Sorry mate,

It's a brain teaser which means I understand. Just my warped sense of humour:2vrolijk_08:

Scalem

PinHead
17-02-2008, 07:00 AM
another bit of bad luck Poodroo..not good..I live in the stone age..I have no need for a GPS..can find my way around with just a street directory without any problems.
A mate had an incident with one last week..mounted on the windscreen..centre of it..got booked for it blocking his vision.

I cannot talk on the mobile phone when driving yet drivers can look at a GPS when driving..I wonder when they will get the attention of the authorities.

As ofr insurance companies..with everything..use a broker..get them to red all the fine print and tell themwhat you want..amazing how much they can save you.

choppa
17-02-2008, 08:00 AM
insurance companies and claims,,,, they never seem to be a happy pair,,,, but in reality,,, most of the blame can fall back on the individual who takes out the insurance,,,,,

sorry to hear about your loss andrew,,,, and the above what not a dig at you,,, but reading a reply above where its the "dishonest" people who rort the system by making illegal claims is where most of the fault lays,,,

everytime you take out a policy,,, your asked a series of questions,,, number of claims is the best 1

if you've had 5,,,6,,,7,,,or more claims in the past 5 years,,,, your a higher risk than that of someone who has had none,,,, and hence your excess is higher,,

but lets say that you have ""honestly"" forgotten about 1 or 2,,, and only state that you've made 2 or 3,,,

make a claim and whammo,,,, no cover is what the insurer will call for non disclosure,,,,,,

a true story,,,, a buyer of a new xr6 turbo ute took out a new policy with a highly well known insurer,,,, 6 weeks later the car is legitamtely stolen,,,,, made all the correct calls,,, contacted insurer who immediately passed on info to assessors,,, and they discover that he had breached his notice of disclosure by not reporting traffic and loss of licence fines,,,,, insurance was canned and no payment

the ""moral"" of this reply is simple,,,, with EVERY type of insurance purchased now,,, by law you must receive a series of information booklets/pamphlets,,,,

the most important 1 is called your FSG,,,, followed by benefits,,, what is covered,,,whats not,,, these 2 items show where your money goes,,, and what you get for your hard earned dollar,,

with transportable items,, such as GPS's,, most insurers will only pay up to a certain value to stop the amount of fraud claims,,,, (hence in your case mate),,, otherwise that birthday pressie that you hated will in some cases become a claim and vanish to the next garage sale,,,,,

it does sometimes pay also,, to look at a broker who knows what companies pay for items that you need coverage for,,,, you may not want some of the standard trimmings that most companies offer,,, so don't accept them,,, just be aware of what your policy is,,,,, and what rights you have

choppa

Poodroo
17-02-2008, 08:02 AM
another bit of bad luck Poodroo..not good..I live in the stone age..I have no need for a GPS..can find my way around with just a street directory without any problems.
A mate had an incident with one last week..mounted on the windscreen..centre of it..got booked for it blocking his vision.

I cannot talk on the mobile phone when driving yet drivers can look at a GPS when driving..I wonder when they will get the attention of the authorities.

As ofr insurance companies..with everything..use a broker..get them to red all the fine print and tell themwhat you want..amazing how much they can save you.
With the job that I do I found the GPS a very handy tool to have indeed because I often get calls to go to a customer's place in areas I am very unfamiliar with. The GPS always takes you there in the quickest way possible. As far as being a distraction in the car it is no worse than taking your eyes off the road briefly to look at your speedometer. It never occupies either of my hands because I programmed where I was going before I even started the motor. People who use mobile phones whilst driving and without a hands free device are always driving distracted with one hand. I use a Supertooth Blue Tooth device clipped to my sun visor. It's great, clear and totally hands free. I am lucky the thief didn't see it as well because they are about $160 and very easy to remove.

Poodroo

Poodroo
17-02-2008, 08:18 AM
insurance companies and claims,,,, they never seem to be a happy pair,,,, but in reality,,, most of the blame can fall back on the individual who takes out the insurance,,,,,

sorry to hear about your loss andrew,,,, and the above what not a dig at you,,, but reading a reply above where its the "dishonest" people who rort the system by making illegal claims is where most of the fault lays,,,

everytime you take out a policy,,, your asked a series of questions,,, number of claims is the best 1

if you've had 5,,,6,,,7,,,or more claims in the past 5 years,,,, your a higher risk than that of someone who has had none,,,, and hence your excess is higher,,

but lets say that you have ""honestly"" forgotten about 1 or 2,,, and only state that you've made 2 or 3,,,

make a claim and whammo,,,, no cover is what the insurer will call for non disclosure,,,,,,

a true story,,,, a buyer of a new xr6 turbo ute took out a new policy with a highly well known insurer,,,, 6 weeks later the car is legitamtely stolen,,,,, made all the correct calls,,, contacted insurer who immediately passed on info to assessors,,, and they discover that he had breached his notice of disclosure by not reporting traffic and loss of licence fines,,,,, insurance was canned and no payment

the ""moral"" of this reply is simple,,,, with EVERY type of insurance purchased now,,, by law you must receive a series of information booklets/pamphlets,,,,

the most important 1 is called your FSG,,,, followed by benefits,,, what is covered,,,whats not,,, these 2 items show where your money goes,,, and what you get for your hard earned dollar,,

with transportable items,, such as GPS's,, most insurers will only pay up to a certain value to stop the amount of fraud claims,,,, (hence in your case mate),,, otherwise that birthday pressie that you hated will in some cases become a claim and vanish to the next garage sale,,,,,

it does sometimes pay also,, to look at a broker who knows what companies pay for items that you need coverage for,,,, you may not want some of the standard trimmings that most companies offer,,, so don't accept them,,, just be aware of what your policy is,,,,, and what rights you have

choppa
All good advice Choppa and thanks for sharing. You're a wealth of info on this type of topic. Suncorp are very familiar with my history because I have been with them for most of my driving life and up until last year never had a prang of any discription in any of the cars I have driven including an extremely powerful beast that I owned. Just uncanny how an insurer can have someone like me with an impeccable driving record with no accidents and no claims ever and then suddenly put me in the "high risk" category all because I took out a glass cover on the vehicle which entitles me to claim one windscreen per annum and I actually have had to use that facility a few times. What choice do I have? It is illegal to drive with a whopping crack in front of your face is it not? Now going back to the policy. I have been an insured driver since I was 17 years of age and I am now turning 45. This is where I am at a quandary because compared to when I originally took out my policy with them if you compare the it between now and all those years back the policy rules etc are nothing alike. The policy has changed dramatically over the years but have they adviced me of all these changes? No.
I will give an example. One day my wife parked her car at a railway station. She came back in the afternoon to find the passenger door had been forced open by a crowbar or something similar and thieves had gone through her car and took anything of value. Back then there were no CD players yet but all her cassette tapes were gone, change in the ashtray was taken and a pair of sunglasses. Filed a report to the police and advised the Insurer (Same company I have) and they accepted the claim no worries(didn't even ask for us to produce receipts for the stolen goods, an estimate value was all that was required) and also paid for all the tapes and the sunglasses that were stolen and fixed the damaged door. My question is this. If they covered cassette tapes and sunglasses which were in the car but not on the policy then how come they will not cover a GPS now? Seems the rules change to suit themselves obviously. At no stage have they ever advised me to add a GPS to the policy although that is going to change if and when I get another one.

Cheers,

Poodroo

PinHead
17-02-2008, 08:52 AM
just a question on the GPS..do they show you the shortest way in klms..or the quickest way ????

Poodroo
17-02-2008, 09:27 AM
just a question on the GPS..do they show you the shortest way in klms..or the quickest way ????
You have the choice with GPS systems of either Quickest route, Shortest Route in KLMS, Scenic Route(Normally the slowest) and even a route to avoid toll roads.

Poodroo

BILLY THE KID
17-02-2008, 02:11 PM
i agree with the set the HOME address somewhere else in the GPS

Mine is set for the other end of the street . if ya dont know ya way home in your own street then maybe its time to hand the license in ;D

Poodroo
17-02-2008, 03:14 PM
i agree with the set the HOME address somewhere else in the GPS

Mine is set for the other end of the street . if ya dont know ya way home in your own street then maybe its time to hand the license in ;D

Okay before there is too much more speculation as to why I would key in my own home address I will clarify the reasons behind it. Yes I know my way home from any direction and do not use the GPS to get home however my wife's uncle is from America and wants badly to go fishing with me in the new boat however he is one who probably would have trouble finding his own place let alone mine.(Hopeless with directions). The plan was that I would lend him my GPS when I dropped my kids off there to be baby sat and the following morning when he meets me at my place driving all the way from Spring Mountain to Mount Warren Park he will have no chances of getting lost with my GPS telling him NICELY where to go. Now it wouldn't help his cause if I keyed in a street near where I live would it?

Poodroo

kevinnugent@westnet.
17-02-2008, 07:59 PM
The last time I heard the ridiculous restriction on insurance company policies was from a mate who lost his GPS worth about $450.00.

Of course, he then claimed for the sunglasses at $90, the CD's worth $230, the cash taken from the centre console $35, the camera and case in the glove box $340.

He got his $450.00 from them. 8-)

Kevin

Poodroo
18-02-2008, 02:43 PM
The last time I heard the ridiculous restriction on insurance company policies was from a mate who lost his GPS worth about $450.00.

Of course, he then claimed for the sunglasses at $90, the CD's worth $230, the cash taken from the centre console $35, the camera and case in the glove box $340.

He got his $450.00 from them. 8-)

Kevin

Well he did very well out of it. Now I wonder why our premiums are so high? ::)
I am too honest for my own good. If everyone ripped off the system like that none of us could afford to be insured. Whilst your mate did well and was happy realistically he is only shooting himself and everyone else in the foot. Honesty is the best policy. If only we all used that philosophy.

Poodroo

joeT
18-02-2008, 02:43 PM
If you keep any valuables in the car, its worth investing in a quality alarm system. Sure, its only a deterrent, but it does make them think twice before breaking a window. My car alarm is equiped with extra screamers inside the cabin, so its quite painful to be inside when it goes off.

Only a few hundred bucks and worth the investment IMO.

Scalem
18-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Well he did very well out of it. Now I wonder why our premiums are so high? ::)
I am too honest for my own good. If everyone ripped off the system like that none of us could afford to be insured. Whilst your mate did well and was happy realistically he is only shooting himself and everyone else in the foot. Honesty is the best policy. If only we all used that philosophy.

Poodroo

Yep! Exhibit A. But in the long run, who outsmarted who??!

Scalem

coelacanth
18-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I had mine stolen from the hospital car park where I work , the problem with the stick on wscreen ones is that to hide completely you have to remove all the components from view. As if you have time to do that!!,I left the cradle on the screen and they searched the car and found the gps under my seat. Insurance did not cover as not "fixed" to the car.Police could not get prints ,very clever little druggies(ASSUMPTION ON MY PART), if I had known it was stolen I probably could have bought it back at the hotel down the road for 50 dollars. lesson learnt.Same thing goes for rods , don't leave them in your car either.IAN

rabbitohbill
18-02-2008, 08:19 PM
That really sux. How brazen to smash a bloody window in a car park.
I'm still getting over getting myboat stolen from my year about 18 months ago. The pricks got it while I was visiting my wif ein hospital who had just had a baby. I reckon it was someone that knew.
I have looked at every boat I have passed on the road or seen on the river in that time, to no avail.
I reckon they pinched it, & it has been parked in their bloody shed ever since.

As for the GPS, cant imagine living without one, BUT I cant imagine taking it off the windscreen every time I stopped either.

Poodroo
18-02-2008, 09:36 PM
That really sux. How brazen to smash a bloody window in a car park.
I'm still getting over getting myboat stolen from my year about 18 months ago. The pricks got it while I was visiting my wif ein hospital who had just had a baby. I reckon it was someone that knew.
I have looked at every boat I have passed on the road or seen on the river in that time, to no avail.
I reckon they pinched it, & it has been parked in their bloody shed ever since.

As for the GPS, cant imagine living without one, BUT I cant imagine taking it off the windscreen every time I stopped either.

Well you are stacking the odds against you. I have only owned that GPS since Christmas. We are only in February now. I took it off the windscreen every time I parked anywhere apart from in my own garage. Just one time and one time only I decide to leave it on the windscreen but only based on the fact I was going to walk in and straight back out of this shop which is what I ended up doing and that was my downfall. Window smashed, GPS and all of its accessories gone, and not a soul to be seen anywhere. It didn't happen in the carpark either, but on the main road just outside of the shop. Gee if only I had of seen this little sh!t in the act.

Poodroo

TheRealAndy
17-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I tried to get my GPS covered by RACQ and they wont do it because its not fixed to the vehicle. Also got the same problem with my Waeco. The wont cover the waeco under home contents either.

Lucky_Phill
17-03-2008, 08:21 PM
That's BS Andy.... RACQ will cover the weaco. I am with RACQ and all camping gear, cameras, GPS units, fishing gear and anything you keep in the house but have in the car or out on the boat can be covered by the household contents insurance. Go back to RACQ and insist they cover it... I had no issues at all when I did this... let us know how you get on ....

Phill

bungie
18-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Speaking of weaco, how do people secure it in thier open ute tray to stop it being stolen ??

blaze
19-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Speaking of weaco, how do people secure it in thier open ute tray to stop it being stolen ??
Go and buy a skeleton and put a few old cloths on it, lay it down next to your fridge with a sign around its neck saying "this is what happened to the last bas**rd that tried to steal from me".
cheers
blaze

bungie
19-03-2008, 11:16 AM
LOL .....................

colin bougoure
24-03-2008, 02:48 PM
re legality of gps in cars. i pilot wide loads on trucks all the time
& talk on 2 way radio all the time, & they are mandatory for safety. i also understand that gps is also considered in the same way. if any one knows different to this would you let me know col

Hot_Snappa
27-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Best security device going around mate is an aggressive dog sitting on the back of your ute!
Stops 'em every time!;)

honda900
09-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, I got one for you,

Just on 12 months ago, was down the footy club saturday for the masters game, came home parked in the driveway, didnt think anything of it, sunday didnt go anywhere car in driveway. Monday morning get in the car to go to work no noise where my phone connects to my gps base station??
Look around, No base station, jump out of the car ask the wife, Nup hasnt seen taken it, back to the car, all my toll change is gone as well, b*&*^^rds.
Next door neighbour on his way out to work, heres me swearing has a look finds his glove box has been rifled.

ring the cops monday night after work, got no serial number, havent engraved it (go nothin), one cop says to me hey there was a guy caught last night running around with a whole heap of nicked goods in the back of his car, come up and log a complaint. have had a few beers at this point thought will wait till tommorrow to be on the safe side to go to the cop shop.
Get to the copshop, wait 45 minutes, get old mate could be bothered fillin in the paperwork, oh you got no serial number go no hope. pissed at his response head home.

Ring the insurance company, Nup sorry not covered. What!!!! I pay for full comprehensive, to bad so sad.. Really pissed off by now.
Jump online tea up another insurance agency cover me for windscreen, $500 worth of gear out my car, so I say well will replace the gps add that to the list. 10.50 a month cheaper than what I had (NORMA).

Pretty stoked at this, jump on the phone to NORMA, cancel my boat, bike 2 cars and household insurance with them on the spot. Again couldnt give two hoots, have been a long time with em didnt even bother to ask me why.
So time goes by still didnt get around to replacing the GPS, though I would be smart next time and by a phone with a GPS in it, always with me no chance it will get knocked off.

10 months later, get a phone call from the wife, detective Billy Bob turned up at the house looking for you, shit whats going on, have to give him a call.

To cut this a bit short, turns out the original cop was right they caught the blokes the night they took it, cops have not had time to investigate who owns the gear been in the lockup the whole time.

So one bright cop turns on my gps and presses home - well takes him to my street. The he drives up and down the street pressing the remote garage door opener, finds my mates house down the road door opens, and hey presto through a round about way I get my gps back.

Winds up quite a few things got knocked off out of my street that night.

Maybe dont be too shy to put your street in as your address Just not the number.;) and engrave the gps immediately.

Oh and by the way it has an address in it that I didnt put there, in Cleveland, Might have a look one of these nights..

Regards
HOnda

mik01
11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
some scab screw drivered the lock on my mrs old car for the loose change in the centre console - all $2 worth of 10c & 5c coins!

nothing else was in the car of value thank god.
this was at Roma St station undercover car park.

rang cops - Bris city headquarters is literally across the street - told it would take 'hours' for a copper to investigate and best to take it home and come into a copshop another day.

whats the point? $150 later we just paid it ourselves cos insurance excess was more than this!!!!

sometimes I feel really helpless - pity you can't hook up an electric shock security device or similar to protect your things

mad_pierre06
13-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Funny how dumb some of 'em are though. Years back living over Wooloowin way, I came downstairs under the flats and noticed interior light of the car on. Open and closed door, but no change. Discovered the passenger door slightly ajar, then noticed that change from the console missing, and a leather business card holder missing as well. But the dumb idiots had to shift an $80 dollar set of tungsten darts to get the change, and left 'em there. :D

And when at the same flats, i was down the street one day and saw a young chappie wearing my Munich Beer House sweater which i hadn't realised was missing. He quite agreeably handed said sweater back. ;D

smeghead
24-05-2008, 09:56 PM
We used to have the same issue with radar detectors (in WA - they are not illegal).

Insurance won't cover them, because they are not fixed, and some of them can run up to $8-900+ a piece.

After the first one gets knocked off, you learn to take the thing with you, and not even risk leaving it in the car any more ....

Jungle Jim
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I know someone mentioned this before (Lucky_Phill) but it is certainly worth looking at your home and contents insurance to see if you can get cover for things outside the home.

I am able to get cover for any item in australia or NZ up to the value of $1000 per item with a maximum of 4 item claims per year. with an excess of $50 per claim

Now think about polarised sunglassess, Gps, high end rods and reels etc even my tackle box would have nearly a grands worth stuff in it.

a close read of the policy docs (and every crowd is different) tells me what i am and aren't covered for (surprise - no cover for high stickin:( or any sporting gear in use for that matter)but honestly i do feel better knowing it is there.

hope this helps...

Jim

p.s Yes i do work for an insurer and honestly if i didn't i would never have known that i could get that option.....