PDA

View Full Version : Mud Crab Recipe

cpt_insano
11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi guys,

Successful day fishing yesterday with two good sized mud crabs. I'm going to cook them up in the next couple of hours and was wondering if anyone would care to suggest a good recipe to try?

I was thinking of going with some freshly squeezed lemos and chopped chili... then add the crab and steam for a while? What do you think?

Would like to try something other than just boiling them... which is what I usually do :)

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Dan5
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Mate your talking my language,make sure you open and clean em out before eating trust me you'll never eat em whole again,i mean do you eat cow with the gut's in? no that's right.Honey chilli mud crab simple one> 1/4 cup of honey 1/4 cup of soy 1/2 doz chopped chilli 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 teaspoon of fish sauce mix together and pour over steaming crab 1-2 minute's before taking out of steamer,You can add sugar to mix to make sweeter brown or palm sugar is best but ordinary white is fine.Add or subtract to this simple sauce base whatever YOU like and enjoy.Dan.........ps make sure you crack all the claw's /leg's first.........

cpt_insano
11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks Dan. I've never steamed a crab before... normally boil them whole. I have experimented with cleaning them first, then cooking with garlic, tomato, chili, white wine, coconut milk, which was awesome!

Can you please give me a quick run down on steaming? How long? How much liquid? Do you clean and chop first or do the crab whole?

A guy from work was saying his favourite way is to squeeze lemons... about 2cm of fresh lemon juice in the pot. Then put in whole crab. Lid on, low heat until cooked. He said the crab absorbs the lemon juice and tastes awesome. I was going to do similar... but add some chopped chili... cause no meal is complete without chili :)

I have two good sized muddies to cook :)

lippa
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
i use a cupof sweet white wine when i make my chilli crab. basicaly the recipe by dan, but i dont use the sugar, i use the wine instead, helps the chilli, garlic, ect stick to the crab.\
mmmmmmmmmmm chilli crab,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

buggerit
12-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Can you tell us taste by taste just how they went down . What recipe did you settle on .

cpt_insano
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Well... they went down bloody sensational!!!! ;D

I did basically what I described.... bit of oil in the pan, freshly squeezed lemon juice, chopped chilli and some cracked pepper. Added the two muddies and steamed them for about 15 mins. Pulled them out, cleaned them, chopped them in half, cracked the claws and put back in the pot to coat in the sauce a bit more.

Tasted awesome.... although even better once they cooled down a bit and were eaten cold. I always seem to prefer my crabs cold :)

Anyway... successful mission, I reccommend giving trying it out... there's something about cold seafood with lemon!!

Now I'm back overseas and won't be home to catch more crabs for a couple of months... can't wait to get home again!

Oh... should've said I had both the muddies out the back of my house in buckets... one sitting in each bucket. One was tied up, the other wasn't. My neighbour filled me in on the following drama's when I got home... there was a heap of noise out the front with bird flying around and people yelling. My neighbour went out to see about 20 birds flying around so they went to investigate to find one of the muddies trying to cross the road. I reckon these birds never would've seen a crab before, haha :) Luckily my neighbour picked it up and took it back around to my back yard, so when I came home I had enough to cook :)

Next time I won't be so lazy and tie them all up :)

roz
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
CHILLI MUD CRAB

2-3 MUD CRABS
3-4 CLOVES OF FRESH GARLIC
1 TABLESPOON OF LIGHT SOY SAUCE
2-3 TABLESPOONS OF SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
EXTRA DRIED CHILLI FLAKES...OPTIONAL
OIL FOR COOKING (PEANUT IS BEST)

CLEAN AND CUT CRAB INTO PORTIONS.
CRACK THE LARGE CLAW TO ALLOW FOR FASTER COOKING.
HEAT OIL IN WOK....IT HAS TO BE VERY HOT, NEVER BE AFRAID OF HEAT WHEN USING A WOK!!
TOSS IN CRAB PORTIONS (RAW) & STIR FRY FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES, ADD FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC.
TURN DOWN THE HEAT A LITTLE AND ADD THE SOY SAUCE ALONG WITH THE CHILLI SAUCE.
aDD EXTRA CHILLI IF REQUIRED, I ALLOW ONE TEASPOON PER CRAB.
COVER AND ALLOW TO COOK FOR A FURTHER SEVEN MINUTES.

NOTE. WATCH FOR BURNING AS THE CHILLI SAUCE HAS A HIGH SUGAR CONTENT, SO IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH.

ENJOY ROZ :)

dogsbody
13-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Next time you got some spare try this dip.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=100779

Dave.

nobody
16-02-2008, 11:01 AM
i like them just like this.
al natural.
with plenty of cold beer.
nobody.

sum

Shagga
19-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Roz,

You have nailed it. You either do your crabs in the wok stir fried with your choice of sauce or you have them on fresh bread with salt, pepper and vinegar.

-spiro-
21-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah thanx for that Roz, now i got to go get the pots ready lol

like nobody i love them boild fresh straight into icey saltwater slurry then have a few chilled bundys while the crab juice is running down my arms and face....

nobody
01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Ros,tried your recipe and i have to give credit were its due....its a great alternative to fresh with a stubbie.anyway its a good simple recipe that works.

thanks.

whiting-wizard
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
nice recipe roz 2 thumbs up:D:D

Alan Hawk
07-05-2008, 08:55 AM
CHILLI MUD CRAB

2-3 MUD CRABS
3-4 CLOVES OF FRESH GARLIC
1 TABLESPOON OF LIGHT SOY SAUCE
2-3 TABLESPOONS OF SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
EXTRA DRIED CHILLI FLAKES...OPTIONAL
OIL FOR COOKING (PEANUT IS BEST)

CLEAN AND CUT CRAB INTO PORTIONS.
CRACK THE LARGE CLAW TO ALLOW FOR FASTER COOKING.
HEAT OIL IN WOK....IT HAS TO BE VERY HOT, NEVER BE AFRAID OF HEAT WHEN USING A WOK!!
TOSS IN CRAB PORTIONS (RAW) & STIR FRY FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES, ADD FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC.
TURN DOWN THE HEAT A LITTLE AND ADD THE SOY SAUCE ALONG WITH THE CHILLI SAUCE.
aDD EXTRA CHILLI IF REQUIRED, I ALLOW ONE TEASPOON PER CRAB.
COVER AND ALLOW TO COOK FOR A FURTHER SEVEN MINUTES.

NOTE. WATCH FOR BURNING AS THE CHILLI SAUCE HAS A HIGH SUGAR CONTENT, SO IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH.

ENJOY ROZ :)

Sounds good! I'll try it next sunday and let you all know ;D