PDA

View Full Version : Trout trolling Lures

preso
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
:) Hello all. I used to do a lot of trout fishing in sth nsw, and remember a lure calld a ford fender?
:-/ That could be the wrong name for it, but I'm sure someone on here will work it out. They were a weird thing, with bits hanging off them all over the shop. I seem to remember they were a sort of teaser thing with a tassie devil or similar hanging off the back.
8-) Now that I live in QLD, I have to get an edge on these morons(is that spelt correctly;D ) in the Mackeral fishing.
Thinking of using it of a downrig bomb. Any info would be very welcome.
PS If anyone tells any of them I think they would die laughing even at the suggestion that a Spotted Mountain Carp lure would work up this way.
;) Thanks kindley John.

bugman
07-02-2008, 05:16 PM
John,

You're not talking about the old flatfish are you?

Curved type lure with a wing of two trebles coming of the middle and another at the rear?

Brett

preso
07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
No it was more of a teaser. Kind of like a coat hanger with small bits of foil hanging off all over the place. This was trolled along and, I assume looked like a school of bait. The actual lure was a tassie devil, or anything else you wanted to run, it was conected to the fender but run slightly behind it.

preso
07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
:-[ Oops thanks brett

tunaticer
07-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Preso,
Ford Fenders are still available from time to time on Ebay and in some of the online shops in Aus. Using trout lures for mackeral works well as a matter of fact. Pegron lures trolled behind a downrigger are amazingly efficient for spots and schoolies.

Jack.

preso
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
:D Hey thanks Tunaciter, I will have a look for them. It is really just a thought, a bit from left field I know but if it gives me an edge I'll give it a go.
Good to see you have heard of them, thought I was lossing it::) .

preso
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Bugger TUNATICER sorry. Long time member, very seldom poster!

qldcod
07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
For Fender is the right name, the "A" type is about 22 inches long and they have a rudder at front and normally two large spinning blades attached to a straight wire line. The Flatfish 4 6 or 7, kwikfish 5 6 or 7 or Tas devils are the most productive lures to attach to them. The fish see the attractors and hone in on the lure. They are very effective trolling in larger waters. Lure Jensen were famous for manufacturing them. Low speed is recommended when trolling them.

Cheers, Chris..

qldcod
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry i meant Ford Fender, not For Fender lol

Boomi Boy
07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Bugger, I was hoping you wanted advice on trout lures, the feral reduction programmers are always willing to assist.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2361/trouteradicationprogram1234mc.jpg

bugman
07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
That would be them

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0053939110981a.shtml

preso
08-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Thanks alot fellas. The info you gave me will help. Bugman thats the one ta. :o weird lookin things?

preso
08-02-2008, 06:45 AM
::) Hey Bugman, one of the queenslanders I want to beat in the mack stakes is coming down your way soon. He must be going crazy. Keeps talking about greyfish. Reckons they taste great;) .

bugman
08-02-2008, 08:30 AM
John,

He knows what he's on about then.

I'd be careful about using the cowbells or fends for mackeral. My guess is you'll get more hits on the teaser than the lure. I'd be using lots of wire if you wanted to see them again.

Brett

NAGG
08-02-2008, 09:20 AM
The last trip to Lake Eucumbene ..... we saw a few of them hanging off trees ( now that the water levels are so low)

A couple of trees on points looked like Christmas trees;D
Nagg