PDA

View Full Version : Brooms Head

pommy
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Greetings all!

The Missus has decided that next weekend the family are to take the camper trailer to Brooms Head. This means that I will get a couple of hours fish either at last light on Saturday or first light on Sunday.

Without giving away Spot X, can anyone give me a few pointers? Might even be a chance to try my new Jewie spin rod that I've been building and the Baitrunner 6500B I've just got from Cabella's. I've also got a fair range of other gear if need be.

Thanks in anticipation, Rob.
Ballina.

SCOTTYGC
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
we stayed down there last year
we took the tinny down to the sandon river just a little south of there

lots of fishing restrictions down that way

great camping at the sandon river http://www.tropicalnsw.com.au/nationalparks/yuraygir.html

bowls club dose a good meal

pommy
02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks ScottyGC.

Have stayed there myself a dozen times over the last couple of years but have only managed to fish (bait) off the rocky headland to the south of Brooms with zero success. Have also recced Sandon....... but if I've only got a couple of hours then the trip to Sandon and back is most of my trip.

Was perhaps thinking of fishing Jewie lures or poppers from the headland if the swell was not too big..... or any other likely place within a short drive?

Thanks, Rob.

rockfisho
02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Off the end of the headland is a good spot for jew according to the locals. As well as sandon river. It is a bit of a climb down and there is a permanent ladder there.
Just belt a big bait into the deep water.

On the other side of the headland has alot of rock, you can catch bream there as well as on the camping ground side in the gutter and amongst the rock ledges and dropoffs. You can get alot of snags if you are not careful. it would be best to fish unweighted around those areas.

Good luck

Owen

mattooty
03-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Thats my local stomping ground mate. Hit up the big ledge just below the lookout. Not to hard a walk down, just done fish it in a swell as you would be asking for trouble. If you can get out, fishing on the outside of the lagoon usually shows some good reefies feeding off the crabs and coral but can be hard to get to as it usually involves a bit of wading and a low tide. Go out on the last half of the run out to maximise fishing time.
If you're chasing jew then you can get poddy mullet in the lagoon using clear plastic traps and the like (no castnetting allowed).
As for closures they dont really apply around brooms, only if you're going offshore and plan to fish around the islands

ffejsmada
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I've caught Jew off the rocks under the lookout. Faces due east so watch the swell, easy to get too though.

You used to get good Groper off razorback which is the rocky point to the left of the lookout. Basically in front of where they beach launch.

Also Red Rock at north end of Broom beach is also a good spot for Jew.

Cheers Jeff.

pommy
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys!

Would you guys go bait, livies or lures for the jew?

Rob.

mattooty
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Mate i'd be using all three! If you can get liveys then use them above all else! But deadbaits are just as effective and if you can't get any bait or like the more proactive side of fishing then throwing lures should keep you on your toes. Try the big storm kickin' minnows. they have been a relatively good lures lately and cheap enough to not be to much of a sting if you lose it. For bait try and get either fresh mullet fillets/tailor. For liveys use anything that is legal and can get a hook in it! If you are fishing off the point it is also worthwhile floating out a live yakka or slimey if you get it in hope of a tuna which should be poking around soon!
Matt